IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-07, 06:23 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this matter

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
I saw several people on this site that have been commenting on how fast the 335i was. They mentioned how the IS 350 does not feel as fast as the 335 (i/ci). Well, the 335i best 0-60 and 1/4 mi times were 4.8 and 13.4 respectively while the best time for the IS 350 was 4.9 and 13.5. This means the two cars should be very close up to a certain point since the 335 does kill the IS in 0-100 (12.7 vs 11.9).
Not sure why this matters much. Both cars are very close in performance, i.e. they share the same performance envelope. Differences are so small that the normal performance discrepancies model to model of the same make may exceed the differences between makes. Also the only way to tell is if the cars were both driven to their maximun capabilities...and how often would that be done unless regularly on a track. I know boasting rights may come into play here, but in the final analysis it is all academic as you buy/drive whichever one suits your preferences/needs and performance may only be one of the criterion.
Old 08-12-07, 07:22 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

stock for stock the 335 is slightly faster but add a chip and its no contest for the bmw.
Old 08-12-07, 07:38 PM
asianfob
Rookie

Originally Posted by NGG
Not sure why this matters much. Both cars are very close in performance, i.e. they share the same performance envelope. Differences are so small that the normal performance discrepancies model to model of the same make may exceed the differences between makes. Also the only way to tell is if the cars were both driven to their maximun capabilities...and how often would that be done unless regularly on a track. I know boasting rights may come into play here, but in the final analysis it is all academic as you buy/drive whichever one suits your preferences/needs and performance may only be one of the criterion.
Very true... Lexus is less performance orientented than bmw while lexus is more luxury oriented than bmw. Performance or luxury... Only real point to go for performance is for track use.
Old 08-12-07, 11:19 PM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by asianfob
Very true... Lexus is less performance orientented than bmw while lexus is more luxury oriented than bmw. Performance or luxury... Only real point to go for performance is for track use.
I definately agree ... others may not share my opinion but ... stock for stock its only slightly faster and honestly the IS350 is much better in the luxury department ... I really dont see a point of going with the slight better performance over luxury since these 0-60 times wont be used but rarely ... and really how often do you max out your speed ... I understand something like a procede chip would dramatically increase the 335i's power but once again ... really why would you need it on the streets .. is350 is more then powerful enough for daily living ... and I know more power the better , im like that too but in the end I wouldnt want to get less luxury for slightly more power since most of that power is unused in daily living . But yes I do understand thats MY opinion and not shared by all others
Old 08-12-07, 11:36 PM
skyraven4
Rookie

Originally Posted by omd316
I definately agree ... others may not share my opinion but ... stock for stock its only slightly faster and honestly the IS350 is much better in the luxury department ... I really dont see a point of going with the slight better performance over luxury since these 0-60 times wont be used but rarely ... and really how often do you max out your speed ... I understand something like a procede chip would dramatically increase the 335i's power but once again ... really why would you need it on the streets .. is350 is more then powerful enough for daily living ... and I know more power the better , im like that too but in the end I wouldnt want to get less luxury for slightly more power since most of that power is unused in daily living . But yes I do understand thats MY opinion and not shared by all others
*off topic* also a lexus will last longer and have less problems in the future than a bmw.. i think
Old 08-12-07, 11:43 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

I've raced a couple 335i Sedans and Coupes in various settings and speeds. Every time I'm able to put about a half car length on them.
Old 08-12-07, 11:55 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

Bench racing/Mag Racing isnt going to do much if you're comparing two indendant tests for each individual vehicle.

Only because a car did "X" in the 1/4 mile does not mean that the other car that ran the same time in a different track/condition perform the same.

It's only fair to compare them head to head, in the same track & conditions.

Getting the best times out of each one according to a variaty of magazines isn't a great way to compare them.
Old 08-12-07, 11:58 PM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by skyraven4
*off topic* also a lexus will last longer and have less problems in the future than a bmw.. i think
you my friend are definately right ... bmw is great but its no lexus aka toyota quality haha
Old 08-13-07, 12:47 AM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

ya, most cars like BMW and Lexus are in bigger cities which means they are stuck in rush hour traffic a lot, which one would you like to be stuck in a 2 hour commute every single day in.

Not to bad for sacrificing 1% performance on a track!
Old 08-13-07, 08:06 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wests
I've raced a couple 335i Sedans and Coupes in various settings and speeds. Every time I'm able to put about a half car length on them.
Were these races on "circuit" type tracks, or drag strips?
Old 08-13-07, 08:44 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

The track is a different thing. I would say the 335 would best an IS350 most of the time (higher lap times)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I believe so too. 335 will betst an 350 with over heating.....
Old 08-13-07, 10:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Before this gets ugly - unless you have personally seen a 335i overheat, let's keep the speculation out of the thread. There's enough bench racing going on without adding unnecessary comments about issues we saw somewhere on the Internet.

I suggest the following: if you have personal experience running against a 335, say something. If you own both cars, by all means, post your observations. If the information you are providing is from a first hand experience, go ahead. If the information is not first hand, but (especially) from another forum, please keep it out of the thread. It only adds fuel to a fire that alienates others and detracts from our sense of community.
Old 08-13-07, 10:32 AM
asianfob
Rookie

Originally Posted by Swisha
stock for stock the 335 is slightly faster but add a chip and its no contest for the bmw.
BMWs require enough maintainence while in stock form.... I wonder how much more will be required when there is an extra 7 psi of boost...or even if the engine is designed to handle it
Old 08-13-07, 11:37 AM
omd316
Driver

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
ya, most cars like BMW and Lexus are in bigger cities which means they are stuck in rush hour traffic a lot, which one would you like to be stuck in a 2 hour commute every single day in.

Not to bad for sacrificing 1% performance on a track!
exactly ... how often can you real floor your gas in a medium to large sized city ... and stock for stock its barely a noticeable difference in times .... so for the most part I would rather be stuck in a comfortable is350 rather then a stiffer not as much entertaining bmw 335i
Old 08-13-07, 11:53 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

exactly ... how often can you real floor your gas in a medium to large sized city ... and stock for stock its barely a noticeable difference in times .... so for the most part I would rather be stuck in a comfortable is350 rather then a stiffer not as much entertaining bmw 335i
People that buy the BMW do it more for the sporty feel and don't mind the firm suspension, same with Lexus buyers they want more comfort than sport. I don't see why a lot of ISX50 owners on this forum put down BMW and other brands so much. I have a friend that has a 335 and his wife has a IS350 he naturally likes power and handling and the sportiness and she just wanted comfort and refinement, he did admit he would have bought a IS350 if it came in manual though.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)