IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 04:03 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't turn off VDIM in any year ISx50. In 07 and 08, however, you can disable traction and skid control. You can disable traction/skid in an 06 also but it requires an easter egg pedal dance to do it, no switch.
Old 12-23-07, 04:04 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
I say... 3wks before the next 350 vs 335i thread pops up
Yeah, I am betting 3hrs before the next intake or exhaust thread pops up.. any takers
Old 12-23-07, 04:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Raph TT
Meh..screw the 335i coupe.. ill rather have the 135i coupe or hatch
+1

I really don't like the looks of the back of the 335 coupe or sedan.....
plus the interior is really blah (pretty much a given fact)

also, reliability played a major part in my decision making....no worries with the IS350......I've heard horror stories about BMW in general.

given that - I am pretty bored with my car...the 306hp keeps me liking it tho.
Old 12-23-07, 04:13 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Yeah, I am betting 3hrs before the next intake or exhaust thread pops up.. any takers
Ahh... yea we had a big influx this month alone in new members Thats why all the fog/hids have popped up too
Old 12-24-07, 01:29 AM
Chi-town
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get both! Lexus, during the week and BMW, for the weekend; besides how much of that handling, and "feel" can you put to use during peak traffic hours on the 5N or any other gridlocked highway.

- The Bimmer has more aftermarket support and whatnot.
- The IS is Lexus' definition of sport luxury and offers very little in terms of aftermarket support.

Me, I like the both of them, but I chose the IS, because I "plan" on keeping the car for at least 5 years. That's where you have to factor in reliability, dearship experience, warranty, etc., that is where Lexus pulls away from its main competition (Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, etc.).

However, if truely fast and capable handling are what you seek, then why not just go for the gold and choose an M3/IS-F/Vette. Those are better choices than lowering and supercharging your civic to make it as fast.
Old 12-24-07, 07:50 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
Ahh... yea we had a big influx this month alone in new members Thats why all the fog/hids have popped up too
Which is precisely the reasoning behind my new sig...

Javier
Old 12-24-07, 08:08 AM
insider
Pole Position

It's interesting that when ever these two cars are tested in the same conditons, both autos, same driver, same track, same temp etc, the BMW always comes out as the faster car http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 Enough said.
Old 12-24-07, 09:01 AM
chriskurn
Driver School Candidate

Just wait for the BMW 135i's to start hitting the streets.

My wife's IS is extremely comfortable and quiet, but BMW's are more fun to drive. I'm not sure if the is350 and the 335i are comparable except for the 0-60. They fit different people.
Old 12-24-07, 09:10 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chriskurn
Just wait for the BMW 135i's to start hitting the streets.

My wife's IS is extremely comfortable and quiet, but BMW's are more fun to drive. I'm not sure if the is350 and the 335i are comparable except for the 0-60. They fit different people.
It's interesting in the link in the post above, the BMW is actually quieter than the Lexus when cruising and under full throttle acceleration
Old 12-24-07, 09:39 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by insider
It's interesting that when ever these two cars are tested in the same conditons, both autos, same driver, same track, same temp etc, the BMW always comes out as the faster car http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 Enough said.
The link you posted is for a 6MT.

Javier
Old 12-24-07, 09:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
Also, I live in dallas and bmw's are cars for the $30k millionaires (google it). both ride excellent, bmw is a tad more "stiff".
lol...man I always knew that there were plenty of people like that here. I just didn't know there was actually a term coined for it lol.

I've driven both the 335i and IS350. Personally, I'd probably still take the 335 even though it costs more. Main reason is because I can't ever get enough power. I'd probably rip out the stock twins and drop in a single turbo on the baby within a year of buying it lol! Warranty be damned . With the IS350, you're gonna have a much more difficult time squeezing more power out of it because the engine is such high compression and non boost friendly to begin with.

Now quality wise and interior, hands down will goto Lexus. Honestly, in every interior quality comparison...BMW CAN NOT hold a candle to a Lexus. The trim is harder, doesn't feel as ergonomic(personal preference), and most of all bmw uses crappy leather. I've also driven a '07 E60 M5 before and the interior quality and leather is no match for a 3GS. But...my next car will be a E60 M5 due to how much fun it is to drive. It'll be way slower than my GS but still, you can't beat that BMW chassis/suspension/steering.
Old 12-24-07, 09:58 AM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
The link you posted is for a 6MT.

Javier
6-speed Manual std (opt 6-speed Automatic as-tested)
Old 12-24-07, 10:28 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

^Ah, didn't see that - hiding in plain sight!

Oh, by the way, the conditions were not exactly "equal" for testing, were they?
Originally Posted by Edmunds.com
Lexus IS350 Conditions for Testing:
Temperature (Fahrenheit):81
Humidity:N/A
Elevation (ft):131
Wind:1.2 mph
Originally Posted by Edmunds.com
BMW 335i Conditions for Testing:
Temperature (Fahrenheit):54.5
Humidity:0.63
Elevation (ft):1121
Wind:3.5
Javier
Old 12-24-07, 11:00 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
lol...man I always knew that there were plenty of people like that here. I just didn't know there was actually a term coined for it lol.

I've driven both the 335i and IS350. Personally, I'd probably still take the 335 even though it costs more. Main reason is because I can't ever get enough power. I'd probably rip out the stock twins and drop in a single turbo on the baby within a year of buying it lol! Warranty be damned . With the IS350, you're gonna have a much more difficult time squeezing more power out of it because the engine is such high compression and non boost friendly to begin with.

Now quality wise and interior, hands down will goto Lexus. Honestly, in every interior quality comparison...BMW CAN NOT hold a candle to a Lexus. The trim is harder, doesn't feel as ergonomic(personal preference), and most of all bmw uses crappy leather. I've also driven a '07 E60 M5 before and the interior quality and leather is no match for a 3GS. But...my next car will be a E60 M5 due to how much fun it is to drive. It'll be way slower than my GS but still, you can't beat that BMW chassis/suspension/steering.
your GS is faster then a new M5?? thats pretty impressive
Old 12-24-07, 12:59 PM
insider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
^Ah, didn't see that - hiding in plain sight!

Oh, by the way, the conditions were not exactly "equal" for testing, were they?

Javier
No offense Javier, but you need to get your eyes checked. Scroll down the page http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do.../pageId=124138 It clearly lists the current weather conditions for the Lexus test which were:

Conditions for Testing:
Temperature (Fahrenheit): 54.5
Humidity: 0.63
Elevation (ft): 1121
Wind: 3.5

Same as the BMW. The link that you provided above was from another seperate test.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)