IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 08:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abelhands
I am not completely convinved that just because it is a Toyota that it is more reliable than BMW.
Having known many owners of both, and having seen the long-term reliability data on both makes (actually on Lexus vs. BMW, since Lexus cars are significantly more reliable than even Toyota nameplate cars), I am.
Old 04-27-09, 09:07 AM
pelucidor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cc16ue
great car reviews for all these different models, but why would you get another IS350 to replace your current one if none of these cars are good enough? it seems to me you prefer euro cars except for the lexus, but what about the TL (yes is ugly), or the new G37 or even the M series, because I would get those over some of the cars in your list, ie Benz and Jag.
To tell you the truth I might get another IS350 because it is a safe choice for a daily driver, fast enough, looks great inside and out, and I know I can comfortably afford it. Consider it my backup plan although it would be odd to get the same vehicle twice in a row. It's weaknesses (numb steering, ok handling, lack of manual) are made up for with my 10 year old Miata which I drive purely for fun.

The car I really want is the BMW 335i because it's been 18 years since I last owned a BMW 3-series (back when I lived in England, also had a first generation Audi A4, Saab 900, Peugeots etc). I have test driven the BMW 4 times and spent many hours in a colleagues 335i, it has fantastic steering feel and having the X5 I can see the pros/cons of the interior design. Main concerns are potential HPFP failure and ride quality over bad roads with RFT and maybe price (lease prices are not always directly comparable to MSRP or invoice).

You mentioned other vehicles: I looked at the Acura TL many years ago and liked it even with FWD, but got the IS350 instead. The new model (now with SHAWD) just hurts too much to look at to even consider it. Also I used to have an Infiniti G35 and have test driven the M35 and M45 a few years back - my wife didn't like our Infiniti (stick shift was too heavy for her, had various issues) and forbids me to get another one.

The test drives I did with the Jaguar and the MB E350 were because I like checking out cars and want to be pleasantly surprised by something I wouldn't normally consider (see previously owned Mazda RX-8). I also checked out the Hyundai Genesis a few months back (V8 with Tech at $42k) just for laughs and was very impressed - too big for my needs but great ride and wonderful engine and nice interior.

I am not stuck on any particular brand or nationality for cars. I've lived in the USA for 12 years and owned 4 Lexii, 2 Acuras, 2 Mazdas, 1 Infiniti and 1 BMW. Back in England I only had European cars (Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen, BMW, Audi, Saab, VW, Ford etc) and in between I lived in Singapore where I owned my first Japanese car (Honda Prelude - wonderful vehicle).

Last edited by pelucidor; 04-27-09 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-27-09, 10:34 AM
yamkoo1002
Driver

Originally Posted by pelucidor
Main concerns are potential HPFP failure and ride quality over bad roads with RFT and maybe price.

All the cars on your list are really great. The only thing making me not go for the 335i was the stories of the car going into limp mode while the car was going 80 mph on the freeway because of the failure of the High Pressure Fuel Pump!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252578

Last edited by yamkoo1002; 04-27-09 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-27-09, 10:36 AM
yamkoo1002
Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Stock/lightly modified 335i's can't hang with me!
cool!
Old 04-27-09, 11:10 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 328 is as aslow as pond water. you ahve to compare the 350 to the 335i.

thse 2 brands diferentiate: where lexus (IS350) looks for luxury with convenience, performance, classiness, and some sport.
BMW is all about performance, sportiness, but with much less luxury.
depends what you want. the bkwm interior is blah.
Old 04-27-09, 11:36 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trying to hold it down for Lexus!
Old 04-27-09, 11:56 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

the lexus is350 is a way more well rounded car then the 335i ..... it has way more and beter luxory , is cheaper... has the same power pretty much ... reliable... interior looks 10x beter... the only thing like other posts have mentioned was the steering wasent as great .. but its still good..jus slap on some sways and lower it and itll feel the same if not beter
Old 04-27-09, 12:29 PM
Doco21
Rookie

Originally Posted by abelhands
I am not completely convinved that just because it is a Toyota that it is more reliable than BMW.
I can't speak for everyone but when I say Toyota, its Toyota as the mother company. Lexus, in its own right, has higher reliability rating than other Toyota line.

K, I am going to jump to the other thread now. I hope this helps answer your question.
Old 04-27-09, 12:42 PM
airwrench
Rookie

Reliability and quality.
Old 04-27-09, 12:48 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

between my 250 and my 328I(wife's car) i honestly can say i love the Lexus more than the BMW. The interior is kind of plain in the BMW and so far haven't been happy with the BMW, the oil light has turned on twice now and called BMW service and they said its normal just come in and we will fill it up. Needless to say the oil light came on again after 2 months not sure if its burning oil or not but that alone is freaking me out also coolant light turned on. As for the Lexus no problems at all.
Old 04-29-09, 05:07 AM
acqui
Driver School Candidate

Hi All,

I am also in the market for a new car and the IS 350 is on my list. Having owned the last 3 generations of BMW (currently an 04 M3 daily driver and e36 M3 as a semi built track car) I've become a little disappointed with the current styling of the 3 series, especially the interior. As much as I love their driving dynamics, I can't sit in a car whose interior I don't enjoy. Granted, it's personal taste here, because I find the interior of the IS very elegant and beautiful. The negatives for the IS for me is the fact that it doesn't offer a manual as an option and the rear seat is a bit cramped, compared to segment competition. I am going to test drive one this weekend so we'll see about the driving dynamics. So far, it's come down to the Infiniti G37 Sport, IS350, and believe it or not, the 2010 VW GTI or upcoming R20. Since I tend to keep my cars an average of 7 years, Audi is out, having owned a couple and I can say without reservation in my experience, beautiful cars design wise, horrible reliability and worse, parts and service were more expensive than my BMW. I realize the VW is an Audi brand they've improved significantly over the years (like Audi I suppose) but I love the DSG tranny for NYC and also the handling and spaciousness of the new GTI for a NYC car. The E46 M3 has been great to me, very reliable, quick, but I need a 4 door car. I am also considering a 2009 Subaru STI if I get rid of both of my current cars, realizing that the interior of that is like Oprah without makeup, to the IS350's Oprah with makeup
Old 04-29-09, 10:27 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yamkoo1002

All the cars on your list are really great. The only thing making me not go for the 335i was the stories of the car going into limp mode while the car was going 80 mph on the freeway because of the failure of the High Pressure Fuel Pump!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252578
Two of my cousins had 335S. Both of them ended up lemoning them due to that fuel pump error. Its so funny, i knew this was going to happen soon as i heard BMW is making a twin turbo, lol...
Old 07-07-09, 09:09 PM
mvallido
Pole Position

I had a loaner 335i and I tried my best to break it. All I had was a ton of fun. Lots of torque and power. Very responsive paddle shift. If I'm leasing, I 'll get a 335i but if I'm buying, I'll get a 350.
Old 12-31-09, 12:59 AM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Default I just got back driving the Ultimate driving machine

Hello guys and gals,

My Brother and his wife just got back from the BMW dealership with a brand new BMW 328i sedan for her. First thing she did was hand me the keys and wanted my opinion on her new car. So here goes.....

Exterior wise: Toss up, they are beautiful looking cars, maybe the Lexus has a slight edge, but both cars are nice

Interior: Lexus has softer seats, BMW has better bolsters/keeps you in your seat better, but a bit harder. I like my soft comfy seats, but I like firm sporty seats for the twisties. Dash, controls and plastics are nicer on the IS.

Suspension: The BMW had the sport suspension with 17 inch rims. I have the stock 18 inch rims with Fsport rear sway, chassis bar and tein s tech springs. The short amount of time I had driving the car I would say it was about even with my car with the exception that the BMW had a better road feeling about it.

Engine: Very quick with the 3.0 liter inline 6, 230 hp engine, much quicker and more responsive than the is250, but my 350 has more power and quicker. This is an engine the 250 should come with.

Tranny: hands down, BMW. fast responsive upshifts and downshifts like the ISF Tranny. Does not have a gear limiter like our cars. Say you are in 4th gear and start to slow down, the tranny will downshift to the speed you are driving. For example, you were in 4th gear going 40mph, slow downn to 15, the tranny would shift down from 4th to 3rd to 2nd as you were slowing down, once you start accelerating again, you would have to upshift manually as you accelerate whereas the Lexus would automatically shift up to 4th gear.

Price: Price before options, 33k retail, after options 45k retail. Similar equipped is250 would cost 39k retail, similar equipped is350, 45k retail.

summary: 328i is a nice car that is geared toward drivers who prefer feeling the road with adequate power. IS250/350 is geared a bit more for people who want performance with soft comfort and quiet engine. Nothing an exhaust and suspension won't fix

Last edited by fasteddy91; 12-31-09 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-31-09, 07:24 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

nice right up, it was a toss up when i was getting my 350 because a 328i was sitting right next to it

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)