IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 05:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything useful here?
Old 12-31-09, 06:01 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before picking up my first IS, I had a 335i. The main reason why I gave it up was because it was too expensive to maintain and had too many problems. Yes it drives and looks good, I didn't do one mod to the car....but in the end when it came down to reliability, I was disappointed. Speed has definitely been a huge factor between the two since I now own a 250...but the IS doesn't give me any problems and I don't have to worry about having my car in the shop every other month.
Old 12-31-09, 06:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by heartmyis
Before picking up my first IS, I had a 335i. The main reason why I gave it up was because it was too expensive to maintain and had too many problems. Yes it drives and looks good, I didn't do one mod to the car....but in the end when it came down to reliability, I was disappointed. Speed has definitely been a huge factor between the two since I now own a 250...but the IS doesn't give me any problems and I don't have to worry about having my car in the shop every other month.
How many miles did you put on the 335? What kind of problems came up? I hope most of the issues were covered under warranty.
Old 12-31-09, 06:13 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol@ the 335i guy who tried to defend him self using edmunds ...
C'mon now .....
Old 12-31-09, 06:30 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
How many miles did you put on the 335? What kind of problems came up? I hope most of the issues were covered under warranty.
I had the 335 for about 8 months and accumulated 15k, took delivery with 11 on the ODO. I had a lot of fuel pump issues and something went wrong with the turbo ( according to the BMW techs, I was going at high speeds for a long duration). They fixed the fuel pump issue, but every time something didn't feel right and after bringing it in, it was always the fuel pump over and over again. Yeah all work was done under warranty, I barely own the beamer for 1 year and sold it. My bf was going to tune the car and change the shift points, but I got rid of it. I really liked the car but it was too much work.
Old 12-31-09, 07:31 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

^I wonder how 328i's compare to the 335i in reliability.

Last edited by fasteddy91; 12-31-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-31-09, 07:33 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by insider
This quote is actually kind of brutal "So imagine how bad I felt for Walton when the BMW, with its monster turbo motor, slaughtered the (quite good) Lexus in each and every of the parameters that combine to create driving pleasure. The BMW handles better, goes better, rides better, steers way better, shifts better...possibly, you get the point. In short, BMW wins. Again. " http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-seri...pagination_top
Wait, would that be the one that compared the Lexus without the sport package? The one that is now standard (except 18"). Oh, yes, it is. It states:

"There's also an important difference in the specification of these two cars, as the 335i was equipped with a $1,700 Sport package, including a retuned suspension with low-profile, high-performance tires on 18-inch wheels. We're guessing that if the IS 350 also were fitted with its $3,695 Sport package, all of its capabilities and liabilities would be similarly increased."

Also, if you go to youtube.com, there are a ton of people racing their 335i against the IS 350. In all but one the IS 350 wins. The IS 350 is a faster car. There's even one comparison comparing a test 335i against a regular 335i. They found the test 335i was electronically tuned to produce more significantly more boost. So, BMW doesn't even want to play fair, which is fine with me. This is why the IS 350 also doesn't break down during test runs (there's a video on that too against the G37). When I get some time I will post links to all these. Plain and simple, the 335i corners better but you can almost count on it breaking down. If loaner cars are your thing, then get the 335i. I could have easily afforded both and I chose the IS 350. It was an absolute no brainer. There are tons of former BMW fanboys on the BMW forums frantically trying to sell their POS 335i's. How many IS 350s do you see being sold on here? Don't worry, I'll wait while you find some...
Old 12-31-09, 08:53 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fasteddy91
^I wonder how 328i's compare to the 335i in reliability.
The 328 is better when it comes to reliability, most of the fuel pump problems with the 335 is probably contributed by the turbos...I could be wrong. When I had a problem with my turbo, I was told that one of the turbos over heated...
Old 12-31-09, 09:04 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

I thought I was one of the few who went 335i --> IS 350. I too had a 335i for a few months but decided to give it up for an IS 350 when I realized that I would need a more reliable vehicle.

I will say, the 335i then was my first BMW and the IS 350 is my first lexus so I really say it like it is - I don't have any loyalties to any car brand because I just don't care about that, I pick what I consider to be the best car available at the time - that's it.

To summarize what I've said in the past, stock for stock the 335i and the IS 350 have virtually identical straight line acceleration. IS 350 is a pinch more luxurious inside - seats are definitely softer and do not provide as much of that "sports-like" support but I've actually grown to like this more.

I will say I think the 335i has a bit better handling on twisties, but the caveat is my IS 350 does not have sway bars. I've been told that with the sway bars the handling capabilities increase quite a bit so I look forward to that.

Honestly I think the 335i is a fine car, but the fuel pump failures were driving me insane. Were it not for the reliability issues I would never have come to one of its competitors (lexus, audi, mercedes, whatever it may be).

In retrospect I must say it's worked out for the best because the IS 350 is a damned good car. Already have 14,000 miles and not a single problem, just the regular oil changes.

I have gotten multiple nails in my tire (bad ****ing luck) but that's not a fault of the IS that's just bad luck. Fortunately in all situations the tire was easily patched up.
Old 12-31-09, 09:07 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Oh one more thing I think the IS 350 has a few rattles inside every now and then but honestly I'm not that bothered by it. Overall it's a damned quiet car, especially at 80 MPH+

My 335i back then it also had a few rattles and squeaks here and there, though. I'd say both cars are also comparable in this regard, neither has an edge.
Old 12-31-09, 09:21 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

^ Agree. I love how the 335 hugs the corners at high speeds. But then adding a sway bar to any car will stiffen the chassis effectively.

I'm a fan of aluminum trim, I just wish that the IS had that interior option...
Old 12-31-09, 09:31 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

CarLx, Thanks for the unbiased opinion. I have only driven a BMW (328) once and I really enjoyed driving it. You pretty much hit the nail on the head on everything you said. Prior to the Fsport rear sway bar and Tein springs install, the BMW had better handling, but since the install, the handling on my is350 is on par with the 328i. The only thing I like better about the BMW is the more supportive seats and more responsive tranny. I like/love everything about my IS with the exception of the Tranny, I just which it was more like the BMW or ISF. i guess it's a tradeoff for having reliability
Old 12-31-09, 09:33 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heartmyis
^ Agree. I love how the 335 hugs the corners at high speeds. But then adding a sway bar to any car will stiffen the chassis effectively.

I'm a fan of aluminum trim, I just wish that the IS had that interior option...

You can always apply the Carbon fiber or Texalium overlay
Old 12-31-09, 09:41 PM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fasteddy91
You can always apply the Carbon fiber or Texalium overlay
I am considering this =) Just had my pillars wrapped in CF and love the way it looks. Might as well have fun with the car until I get rid of it.
Old 02-01-10, 12:23 PM
gsta127
Rookie

I think its funny that toyota was making the 2jzgte twin turbo I6 with the same hp as the new 3 series more than 15 years ago.

Kinda late there bmw.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)