IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 07:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
I understand the points you guys are making; however, I have read more issues about the IS that many are complaining about here and over at edmunds consumer reviews section.

What "issues"?

Other than the carbon buildup (which you could always get a 350 and avoid) I can't think of any real issues with the 250.

Even then it's not really a "reliability" issue... the car doesn't stop running or anything (unlike, say, the HPFP failures the BMW 335 is plagued with)... just once every couple of years it needs a top engine cleaning or you can get a little rough idle/hesitation.

And it's not a Lexus specific issue either- it's apparently common on a lot of cars that have moved to direct injection only.

Do a google on "carbon build up direct injection"

You'll see threads on the problem in Audis, VWs, Hyundais, Fords, Caddys, even... guess what? BMWs.

So suggesting a problem that virtually everyone seems to have on DI engines is somehow a "lexus" problem is nonsensical.

From whom do you expect to buy a luxury DI-only car and not potentially have carbon buildup issues?

I consider carbon buildup too much of an issue for me to consider the IS with the work involve plus I'd be buying used and would have to do the regular cleaning myself. This is the main reason why I have decided against an E46 M3, most have vanos issues and it is just too much of an hassle for me to handle via diy. Knowing my lady she comes to me for the smallest issues with her car and I have to take care of it. Therefore, I rather find the most reliable car so she doesn't come complaining to me every time the car has a problem. I've seen enough posts online where folks are saying how they are disappointed in Lexus and will never buy another one again. If you guys have a spouse you all know how impatient and annoying they can get sometimes.
Buy her a 350 then... no carbon issues there.

Otherwise you're looking at something old enough (from any mfg) to not use direct injection.

I guess my issue is you're taking one known problem (that ever maker using the technology has), which doesn't stop the car from running and driving, and which only needs be addressed once every couple of years, and announcing the car is "plagued with reliability issues"

That's simply not true.
Old 05-26-11, 08:34 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to make a CL shirt that says Kurtz Rocks!!

Whos in?
Old 05-26-11, 08:42 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen enough posts online where folks are saying how they are disappointed in Lexus and will never buy another one again.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've seen a few more Lexus posts here on CL than you have, given your post count and mine (that goes ten-fold for Kurtz above). I can count on one hand the number of posts I've read from people that have said "I am disappointed with my 2IS and because of my experience with it, will never buy another Lexus again". Most often these cases are people who got a lemon and were unsatisfied with Lexus' handling of the case. There might be plenty of posts from people saying they're unsatisfied with one particular aspect of the 2IS, or with a particular repair or service experience they had, but there are very, very few posts from people saying they're unsatisfied with their car overall and even fewer that take it a step further and say "I'll never buy another Lexus because of it".

I can't, however, begin to count the number of posts from people who are very happy with their 2IS.

So once again, you're generalizing far too broadly. I believe you're vastly overstating the number of posts you're seeing that state total dissatisfaction with the 2IS and Lexus to the point where they'll never buy one again, all in order to bolster your argument. This argument is going to fall flat, however, when judged by those of us who have spent far more time on Lexus forums than you. Even if it's true you've seen many of these posts, you're relying far too much on them in your decision if you want to make the right one, since these posts are far outnumbered by ones that state the opposite. More importantly, however, is the fact that you're using this argument as evidence against Lexus when it could very easily be turned around on BMW or any other manufacturer. A search of any car manufacturer's forum will reveal instances of dissatisfaction and refusal to return to a brand because of it. I've seen quite a few of them myself, even regarding BMW. However, I'm logical enough to understand that there will always be a few instances of this with any brand, and to not on the basis of a handful of anomalous experiences discredit the entire brand.

Like I stated above, by your faulty reasoning you 1) could call any car unreliable if it had a single common issue (which every car does), and 2) refuse to consider any single brand because of a handful of posts from dissatisfied customers (of which there will always be at least a few, with any brand). You therefore can't purchase from any car brand whatsoever.

In that case, enjoy your bicycle!

Even though I am a BMW enthusiast I am not a bias person, I know that the marque is not the most reliable in the segment but not everyone buys a car base solely on reliability.
No one here is claiming you should buy Lexus solely based on reliability. A simple perusal of the earlier posts of this thread will reveal myriad other reasons to prefer the Lexus over the BMW, I won't repeat them here. Reliability however is stated very often as one of these reasons since 1) it's very important to many car buyers and 2) it's difficult to refute that Lexus tops BMW in reliability.

However, if as you say you don't buy cars based on reliability whatsoever, I'd encourage you to look at the previous posts in this thread to see many other reasons discussed.

Last edited by calvin2376; 05-26-11 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 10:06 AM
rocks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are misinterpreting what I said man. I said not everyone buys a car solely on reliability. If that was the case we'd all be buying corollla's and previous generation civics. In addition, BMW's would not be selling in record numbers these days even with their nuisances. I don't mind minor problems, I have some mechanical aptitude; however, I just think the carbon buildup is too much hassle for me to consider the IS for the lady. I know the TSX has issues but they are easier for me to address when and if they arise. I am not new to automobiles, I know all cars will have some issues. However, not all issues are the same, this is the same reason why I'd never buy a 335i because if I was to own one past the 10year 120k miles mark that BMW has mandated for warrantying the faulty HPFP, then I'd have to spend 7k to buy one when it fails. That to me is too much hassle.

The carbon buildup seems rather annoying because it is a recurring issue. I have seen posts here where people have had the tsb done at the dealer and the problems returns a few months later. I have also read where some dealers are refusing to do the tsb on some of these cars. These owners seems very frustrated already so why would I want to undergo the same thing. If it was something like brake squeaking or a few rattles and such it would be fine. You also keep forgetting that the car is meant for my lady not myself so the the less problems the better for me. My intent on getting an IS-F for myself has not changed but I still believe the TSX might be better for my lady.
Old 05-26-11, 11:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

You are misinterpreting what I said man. I said not everyone buys a car solely on reliability. If that was the case we'd all be buying corollla's and previous generation civics. In addition, BMW's would not be selling in record numbers these days even with their nuisances. I don't mind minor problems, I have some mechanical aptitude; however, I just think the carbon buildup is too much hassle for me to consider the IS for the lady. I know the TSX has issues but they are easier for me to address when and if they arise. I am not new to automobiles, I know all cars will have some issues. However, not all issues are the same, this is the same reason why I'd never buy a 335i because if I was to own one past the 10year 120k miles mark that BMW has mandated for warrantying the faulty HPFP, then I'd have to spend 7k to buy one when it fails. That to me is too much hassle.

The carbon buildup seems rather annoying because it is a recurring issue. I have seen posts here where people have had the tsb done at the dealer and the problems returns a few months later. I have also read where some dealers are refusing to do the tsb on some of these cars. These owners seems very frustrated already so why would I want to undergo the same thing. If it was something like brake squeaking or a few rattles and such it would be fine. You also keep forgetting that the car is meant for my lady not myself so the the less problems the better for me. My intent on getting an IS-F for myself has not changed but I still believe the TSX might be better for my lady.

Well, the TSX doesn't use direction injection... but that's why it only gets 280 hp out of an engine the same size as the IS350 motor (which uses direct and port, thus avoiding the carbon problem) that makes 306.

I guess you might be going with the smaller motor option... still no direct injection, and it makes a bit less torque (and revs higher to do it)... but if your wife doesn't care about performance I'm sure it'll be fine.

The brakes aren't great.. and the center stack is a bit busy... I've generally found Acura interiors a half-step down from those from Lexus... but if she likes it and if she's fine with the low power 4 cylinder... I'm sure it'll be a reliable car.
Old 05-26-11, 12:30 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I thought this was about IS350 (and 335i)...
Old 07-26-11, 03:29 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335i vs IS350 [USED 2006-7]

Okay before someone yells at me to use the search feature, i did and yes there was a little comparison but it was not geared towards me.

My budget is pretty much low 20ks preferably below 25k. I'm 17 and will be financing one of these cars. 2007 IS350 vs BMW 335i 2007. I just want some closure and agreements on my choice that I will make in November.

IS350 2007
306HP V6
0-60 5.0
Full Torque Achieved at High RPMs

BMW 335i 2007
300HP...... I6
0-60 4.8
LOW Torque Achieved at LOW 1.5k RPMs

Now obviously the 335i has the edge in Handling, I personally like the interior design and luxury of the Lexus way more. The 335i sort of has the edge with performance, throw a JB4 in, and there's no contest. I kind of like the IS350 looks for the 2007 better than the 335i, i dont like the tail lights used until 2009 on the 3 series. Now where the Lexus loses, it doesn't lose by a lot and some of these categories are even subjective and opinionated. I live in the city though and the suspension on the 335i would drive me crazy, my turns would be little turns usually around 15mph so I'd never really feel the agility of the 335i in my city kind of.

The Reliability is what gets me, the IS350 notable problems are all labeled as Nuisance. 335i problems can leave your car out of service. These turbos really get to me and I read somewhere they are place far under the engine so a LOT of labor and work would be required to get them out for repair. It just seems in the long run the IS350 would be the better choice for me, and im 17, i feel id rack in the speeding tickets with the 335i... But i do not want have to shell out thousands and have to have tons of money monthly to dedicate to keep the BMW on the road, i really dont think the LExus would need this. But is every single 335 going to have problems past 50k miles? less than the 350?
Old 07-26-11, 03:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Lemme put it this way, I'm older, in a much more stable financial situation, with a wife who makes even more than I do, and even I wouldn't own a 335 out of warranty.

In your situation, between those two cars at least, the 350 is an easy easy choice.

(and in actual handling performance BTW the BMW isn't much of a winner... it's just the magic "feel" everyone raves about... in fact the F-sport IS beats the 3-series by several mph in slalom testing for example... in straight-line performance the 350 is within .1 of the BMW stock vs. stock... the only place the BMW has much if any advantage of any kind is that it's easy to mod for more power... but that makes it even less reliable than it already is)
Old 07-26-11, 03:42 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

If you're asking about the BMW reliability and maintenance, you'd be better off asking BMW forums. We can help you with the IS in terms of maintenance though. It's relatively low cost to maintain, most of the routine maintenance can be done yourself for pretty cheap, as parts aren't too expensive. The major components of the car are pretty solid too. Stock for stock, the car's are about evenly matched, speed-wise. Handling, most people would probably give the nod to the BMW. My advice...drive both, and pick which one you like. Just beware you got to pay to play if you go the BMW performance modding route.
Old 07-26-11, 03:43 PM
calvin2376
Racer

This question has been discussed to death on CL:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...in-thread.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ies-coupe.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-bmw-335i.html

I can't imagine that among the above three threads, your questions aren't already answered. And if by chance they're not, it would be useful to post in one of those. The insights posted here will be exactly the same as those in the above threads.
Old 07-26-11, 04:13 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The IS350 would be the better choice for you. I'm 18 right now and I have an IS350. I was going to get a 328i at the time since the 335i was still expensive. However, the 335xi is in my plans for the future when they become a little more affordable for me to use as winter driving. I've done my research on the 3 series back then and got loads of feedback from e90post and the only real problems with the car are minor things or the fuel pump issue. Luckily, BMW did offer an extended warranty for the fuel pump issue. Parts and labor are expensive too. I think I've made the right choice picking the IS350 as it gave me no problems in almost the year I owned it. It's truely hit-or-miss. Some people have gotten BMW's to go many years with no problems but some have theirs in the shop multiple times. Same can be said for the Lexus.
Old 07-26-11, 04:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Hate to say it, but no 17 year old kid needs a IS350 or 335i lol. Insurance is gonna suck at that age on either car, and if you get a ticket on your record insurance oh boy....LOL You say that you feel you'll rack the tickets up in the 335i? I'm sure the IS350 won't be that much different than.

Fast Car + Teenager + Tickets = Insurance loves you

Not trynna hate or anything, I was a teenager not long ago, but man with everything that happened car wise between when i was 16-20 i was glad i choose to go with a cheaper car. In those 4 years i got 3 tickets (only 1 on my record - insurance still rapes me), my car was keyed numerous times (Your gonna have haters at any age, but definately more when your young), and broken into twice.

But definately, I'm glad i waited till i got out of college to buy a nice car. Now i can enjoy my IS way more, don't have to worry about parking with jealous students, and insurance is a good chunk cheaper at 22 (Woulda been way better without the ticket).

Plus, i dunno if you meant YOU will actually be financing the car when you said its gonna be financed, but if thats true, damn....at your age, you do NOT want a car payment for the next few years.
Old 07-26-11, 04:24 PM
apdimitri
Rookie

im 19 now and i bought my IS350 when i was 18. i was in the same exact situation. chose the IS due to maintenance costs and reliability since im a college student and needed reliability more than anything. also i didnt want to get sucked into the mods on a 335i and start spending more money.....
Old 07-26-11, 04:24 PM
Defender46
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance id say bmw even though I hate them, there is a lot of aftermarket there. The lexus wins in looks inside and out, also on reliability and cost of ownership and both can be fun to drive. End of the day its preference and your decision.
Old 07-26-11, 04:26 PM
apdimitri
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
....LOL You say that you feel you'll rack the tickets up in the 335i? I'm sure the IS350 won't be that much different than.
btw....ive had my fair share....

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)