IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 04:29 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Hate to say it, but no 17 year old kid needs a IS350 or 335i lol. Insurance is gonna suck at that age on either car, and if you get a ticket on your record insurance oh boy....LOL You say that you feel you'll rack the tickets up in the 335i? I'm sure the IS350 won't be that much different than.

Fast Car + Teenager + Tickets = Insurance loves you

Not trynna hate or anything, I was a teenager not long ago, but man with everything that happened car wise between when i was 16-20 i was glad i choose to go with a cheaper car. In those 4 years i got 3 tickets (only 1 on my record - insurance still rapes me), my car was keyed numerous times (Your gonna have haters at any age, but definately more when your young), and broken into twice.

But definately, I'm glad i waited till i got out of college to buy a nice car. Now i can enjoy my IS way more, don't have to worry about parking with jealous students, and insurance is a good chunk cheaper at 22 (Woulda been way better without the ticket).

Plus, i dunno if you meant YOU will actually be financing the car when you said its gonna be financed, but if thats true, damn....at your age, you do NOT want a car payment for the next few years.
Vouch!!! I got my Lexus back in 06 of April had just turned 19 and yes my parents bought it. My insurance with AAA was 354 dollars per month thats with my "good student" discount included. Also.. how often do you want to go from 0-60 to have that 0-60 sprint such a big factor in your purchase between the two?
Old 07-26-11, 04:41 PM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Originally Posted by apdimitri
im 19 now and i bought my IS350 when i was 18. i was in the same exact situation. chose the IS due to maintenance costs and reliability since im a college student and needed reliability more than anything. also i didnt want to get sucked into the mods on a 335i and start spending more money.....
yup my decision at this point is pretty much made, and my mom would be helping me finance it. I completely agree with the mods and useless money spent I agree and overall will definitly be happy with this purchase and as for 0-60, i won't be using this car as a drag racer, just every now and then i want to feel the torque off a traffic light.
Old 07-26-11, 07:29 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, kids nowadays getting fancy cars right out of high school

what is there to look forward to when you get to our ages?
lambo's?

btw, my insurance costs $98 per month. If I had to pay $350 a month, I'd take the bus...
Old 07-26-11, 07:54 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism

lambo's?

btw, my insurance costs $98 per month. If I had to pay $350 a month, I'd take the bus...
Just what I was thinking. It's my first Lexus and I'm in my early 30s. Worked hard for it. But if they can get such an expensive car at such an early age, why not?
Old 07-26-11, 08:18 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lambo's?

Ironic since I'm a kid with a Lexus but I don't know how all other young people can get such nice cars. My parents got me mine used for $20k but recently, I saw a young guy probably in his early 20's pull up behind me in a GT-R and I was like WTF!? Before that, there's other teens in my area with an E92 M3, C63 AMG, and a CLS.
Old 07-26-11, 09:56 PM
MonsterIS
Rookie

Reliability which will last you a lifetime...! Lexus
Old 07-27-11, 12:22 AM
BrooklynNY
Rookie

Originally Posted by MonsterIS
Reliability which will last you a lifetime...! Lexus
Thats what i like to here

lambo's?
i agree but thats in regard to a NEW Lexus, i found maybe great Lexus IS350's for low 20ks on Auto Traders and Cars.com. My mom would never get me a brand new luxury car, besides the financial side, i dont think kids should be given such expensive cars that are capable of just thinks i personally feel 17 year olds shouldn't have like a C63? for a kid? I'd say it will be totaled within the first year...
Old 07-27-11, 12:48 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chi123
Ironic since I'm a kid with a Lexus but I don't know how all other young people can get such nice cars. My parents got me mine used for $20k but recently, I saw a young guy probably in his early 20's pull up behind me in a GT-R and I was like WTF!? Before that, there's other teens in my area with an E92 M3, C63 AMG, and a CLS.
Consider it a good thing you don't have any of those cars. I honestly think arming a guy with a high performance car before they really understand the responsibility of driving isn't quite the right thing to do. My old co-worker was killed by a CLS 63AMG street racing a Z06 earlier this year. Driver of the AMG was like 19, Z06 was 25...

I'm not trying to discriminate against 18-25 year olds, which actually includes me. But honestly, I feel like a lot of people, especially younger ones, out there don't realize that it's not just about their own safety, but others too. I know I learned the hard way.
Old 07-27-11, 12:58 AM
Caliguy350
Rookie

I own both a IS 350 and 335i.....335i is faster and handles better and IS350 has smoother handling and to be honest less reliable than 335i. go figure!!!
Old 07-27-11, 06:09 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by kumquatism
Consider it a good thing you don't have any of those cars. I honestly think arming a guy with a high performance car before they really understand the responsibility of driving isn't quite the right thing to do. My old co-worker was killed by a CLS 63AMG street racing a Z06 earlier this year. Driver of the AMG was like 19, Z06 was 25...
I generally agree that a relatively new, inexperienced driver shouldn't be handed a 500+ HP car. However, if you start driving at 16 and drive regularly for 9 years, you should be able to be a very competent and responsible driver by age 25. The people in your example above are/were simply stupid. Unfortunately, there are 40- and 50-year-old people out there who would have done the exact same thing as the two people in your example - street race illegally in extremely powerful cars - and could have met the same fate. So while I believe age definitely is a factor in many cases like the one you cite above, stupidity far outweighs it and all other factors combined.
Old 07-27-11, 06:54 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

I like the power for highway merging and such but there is so much traffic in a big city and traps/cameras everywhere that rarely do I ever use it. They even have a street racing law that allows them to take away your car on the spot if you are caught 50km/hr over the limit. Soccer moms with a van full of kids have been left stranded on the side of the road by it.

I floored it once going on the highway when heading to golf early in the morning just to see what all the hype was about and honestly scared myself having that much available to me.

Can't imagine what a 500+ hp car could do...
Old 07-27-11, 07:22 AM
UrHookUp
Driver

Well, I had a 2007 BMW 335i. loved the car. Was gonna do a bunch of mods, etc.. but then decided I wanted a new 2011 car. So I bought a 2011 is350. The 335i was a great car, the new lexus is newer, stylish, interior more sporty & the car is so quiet to drive. As for handling, the 335i did handle better with the sport package. The Lexus rides smoother & better gas mileage. But main reason I ended up with the is350 is originally we planned to get my wife a new car next year. Well, she changed her mind now. So Next year I will be getting a GT-R & she will get the lexus. So I guess I'm product testing the car for her until I get a new one.
If she told me I could of got the GT-R this year, I would of. But when you think about it financially in my position, next year would be better.
Gives me until April to get some parts in: Turbo Upgrades, Exhaust, etc.. Plan to make it around 800-900 hp as daily driver.

So if you had a choice between the BMW & Lexus, I would get the Lexus for style & fuel MPG, or the BMW for Performance & comfort.
Old 07-27-11, 07:49 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I like the power for highway merging and such but there is so much traffic in a big city and traps/cameras everywhere that rarely do I ever use it. They even have a street racing law that allows them to take away your car on the spot if you are caught 50km/hr over the limit. Soccer moms with a van full of kids have been left stranded on the side of the road by it.

I floored it once going on the highway when heading to golf early in the morning just to see what all the hype was about and honestly scared myself having that much available to me.

Can't imagine what a 500+ hp car could do...
I agree. My last car was a 2003 E55 with 469 HP, and when I floored it, it was terrifyingly fast. However, even though I had all that power on tap, 99.9% of the time I was never able to put any more of it to use than I have available in my 2007 IS350 with 300 HP.

My experience with the AMG changed my perspective on what to look for as far as performance. I was focused on wanting a car with what Mr. Clarkson would call "POWERRRRRR". However, once I had the E55 I realized that sure it's fun to floor it on an on-ramp every once in a while, but it's impossible to make use of that power in everyday driving.

Now I'm more interested in a more well-rounded performer. I still want a baseline of good power and acceleration, but also handling, steering, etc. In addition, all these things have to be balanced with non-performance aspects like ride quality, options, reliability, etc.
Old 07-27-11, 07:52 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by UrHookUp
The Lexus rides smoother ... So if you had a choice between the BMW & Lexus, I would get ... the BMW for Performance & comfort.
So when you say "comfort", what do you mean? I would define comfort with regard to a car as 1) how comfortable the seats themselves are, and 2) how comfortable or harsh the ride is. You say the Lexus rides smoother, but say you'd choose the BMW for comfort. Is that because you find the seats more comfortable in the BMW? I only ask because I tried both and I found the seats of the Lexus to be far better than the BMW - the leather was nicer, more plush, and more supportive.
Old 07-27-11, 11:17 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Agreed. Seats is much nicer in the IS. The BMW seats are much stiffer and kind of hug you like bucket seats. Yes it's nice when you're blazing through bends and turns, but I wouldn't exactly call them comfortable.

Quick Reply: The Mother of all 335i vs IS350 threads (please read 1st post in thread!)