IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I was checking out bimmerforums.com today

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 01:13 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was checking out bimmerforums.com today

I was surfing around on bimmerforums.com and was really surprised at how much respect the IS350 gets. Let me share a couple of excerpts for you from their kill section, which is the street encounters section.

540i/6 vs. IS350...Pretty close...
I'll try to keep this short...

I'm about 3 cars deep coming up on the highway and got stuck behind some cars who drove like they've never merged onto a highway before. I finally merge over (doing all of 45mph on a 65mph highway wherre people run 75+) and in my rear view mirror I see a nice silver IS350 about 4 cars back gun it off the ramp to the far left lane. I slow down to let the cars in the lane on my left by then drop it into 2nd (still going only 45...) and jump right behind the IS as he passes. We get to about 90 and both have to slow for traffic. For some reason, ALL the cars on the highway wanted to run in the far left lane . A space opens in the immediate lane to the right and I see the IS mash it, I drop it into 3rd while running about 80 and stick right with him. He initially opened up about an extra car while I downshifted but immediately slowed his gain, eventually matching it and bringing him back in (slowly) around 110. We had a couple more runs and I followed right behind him matching speed and SLOWLY gaining back some ground but for the most part it was fairly even, definatley surprised the guy I think!.

Those things are pretty quick, definately have my respect! Definatleyhad a couple of good runs but I think it the end if we had some more space to run then it would have been pretty even with the 540i/6 getting the edge up into the triple digits.

For the record I currently only have an exhaust and M3 SSK as my only mods. I intend on getting a chip and intake in the near future though!

SurfdogCP

I mean... He didn't lose though. He said he was slowly gaining back ground. That doesn't sound like a loss to me. It sounds like he started behind, gained a tiny bit of ground, but stayed behind the whole "race." Anyway, nice runs. I'm sure it was fun. The IS350 is pretty darn quick.
Old 12-19-06, 01:25 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Theres even BMW enthusiast defending the IS from bmw fanboys

in response to SurfdogCP's comment about a 335i vs. IS350

SurfdogCP: "And really easily I might add."

Der Spielführer: "What have you been smoking? People have run mid 13s with a IS350, stock. It would be a drivers race."
Old 12-19-06, 01:32 PM
flyfl1pguy

That will teach them. . .
Old 12-19-06, 01:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The IS350 has the respect for speed.

People complain that the IS is not racetrack worthy. But guess what: 99.9% of all IS (or any other car) sold will never ever see the racetrack.

It all comes down to everyday driving. And the IS does a very good job at that.
Old 12-19-06, 03:14 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

The .1% that does hit the track does get respect.

When I go to the dragstrip at Orlando I get a ton of questions and when people see the times (13.8 is my best so far) the "OMG that's a Lexus" and the respect starts coming. BTW, I never see any BMW owners at Orlando, cause god knows I'd love to race one heads up.

Best stock cars I've seen so far are a Porsche Cayman S and a Lamborghini Gallardo - and both were owned by kids basically. The guy with the Porsche knew how to race it, the Lamborghini was a total wash - he missed shifts.

Imagine if I was one of the few around here that do 13.6 with just a JoeZ. Unfortunately I'd have to shed about 100 lbs or so and then it'd still be close.
Old 12-19-06, 03:52 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ha, I take mine to the strip all the time. It gets WELL respected out there from all the mustangs and vettes because it beats them 90% of the time bone stock.

Here's the time slip to prove it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=254373

not many cars can run a 2.050 60' or 8.7 1/8th mile. I cannot wait for a 335i to show up at the track one day. I have ran with them on the hwy and it's dead even.

caymandive and tt00660something run 13.4's. That's incredible.

oh and about the track. In feb. I am taking my car to this dope *** race track we have here in texas. it's a 1.8mile race track with all these like crazy houses and crap built up on it. I will tell you how it handles. It's 200.00 buck to run on the track for a few hours. I'll have a full write up.
Old 12-19-06, 05:16 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

what about a real track? you know, one with turns?
Old 12-19-06, 06:14 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Man you guys are killing me - 4 months left
Old 12-19-06, 06:33 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

I auto-x mine on a regular basis, 7 events since Feb. And been to a track once.

I have yet to take it to a 1/4 mile track, got to go one of these days.
Old 12-19-06, 09:16 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I was surfing around on bimmerforums.com and was really surprised at how much respect the IS350 gets. Let me share a couple of excerpts for you from their kill section, which is the street encounters section.

540i/6 vs. IS350...Pretty close...
I'll try to keep this short...

I'm about 3 cars deep coming up on the highway and got stuck behind some cars who drove like they've never merged onto a highway before. I finally merge over (doing all of 45mph on a 65mph highway wherre people run 75+) and in my rear view mirror I see a nice silver IS350 about 4 cars back gun it off the ramp to the far left lane. I slow down to let the cars in the lane on my left by then drop it into 2nd (still going only 45...) and jump right behind the IS as he passes. We get to about 90 and both have to slow for traffic. For some reason, ALL the cars on the highway wanted to run in the far left lane . A space opens in the immediate lane to the right and I see the IS mash it, I drop it into 3rd while running about 80 and stick right with him. He initially opened up about an extra car while I downshifted but immediately slowed his gain, eventually matching it and bringing him back in (slowly) around 110. We had a couple more runs and I followed right behind him matching speed and SLOWLY gaining back some ground but for the most part it was fairly even, definatley surprised the guy I think!.

Those things are pretty quick, definately have my respect! Definatleyhad a couple of good runs but I think it the end if we had some more space to run then it would have been pretty even with the 540i/6 getting the edge up into the triple digits.

For the record I currently only have an exhaust and M3 SSK as my only mods. I intend on getting a chip and intake in the near future though!

SurfdogCP

I mean... He didn't lose though. He said he was slowly gaining back ground. That doesn't sound like a loss to me. It sounds like he started behind, gained a tiny bit of ground, but stayed behind the whole "race." Anyway, nice runs. I'm sure it was fun. The IS350 is pretty darn quick.
I took a 540i/6 out 2 play on the highway, busted its lip wide open & than *****ted on him about 2-3 car lengths & dusted a CLS 500 "who wanted 2 jump in" during the process.....lol God I love my IS. . .
Old 12-19-06, 09:21 PM
LexFather

I've met tons of owners on Bimmerforums, most are very cool guys and gals. Many are very knowledgeable.

Fact is though, most still have almost no knowledge of Lexus and what their cars are capable of. Some of it is ignorance, some of it is bias.

I am a member there and give a thumbs up to the forums. Great place for a BMW enthusiast.
Old 12-20-06, 10:38 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah..that kills section is cool, but anyone can concoct a story.
Old 12-20-06, 10:39 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KOOLFELLA
I took a 540i/6 out 2 play on the highway, busted its lip wide open & than *****ted on him about 2-3 car lengths & dusted a CLS 500 "who wanted 2 jump in" during the process.....lol God I love my IS. . .
of course youre going to dust a cls500...it makes the same power but in V8 fashion, and it ways a shi.t ton more.<--i think

had it been a debadged CLS double nickle or 63 AMG..you would've seen nothing but tailights and the big three pointed star getting smaller, and smaller.