IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tweeter sounds "blown" distorting...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 11:05 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. so here is the update...

Replaced mid range and tweeter. Still making the sound.

Reproducible under CDs, Bluetooth phone conversations, and am radio, fm you can't really tell too much.

I'm going to drop off the car again next week for a few days, and they aren't going to give it back until it is gone.

Although the tech who was sitting in the car with me wasted 15 minutes of my time while I showed him that it was still making the noise. The service advisor already heard it and the other tech already heard it. I played like 5 different distinct sources pointing out the rattling and all he could say was, I can't really tell a difference..... Either way, I'm dropping the car off again next week, so I'll update after that. It really sounds like the tweeter itself is lodged against the housing causing it to distort or reverberate in a weird way.

I really hope they can fix this.... maybe I can claim lemon law and ask for a new car!? jk.... so frustrating. This is like the 4th time at the dealership in a month. I'm starting to feel like I own a BMW....
Old 01-19-07, 11:18 AM
joyriide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all my bluetooth equipped cars I have had these issues with incoming calls. Trick is to lower the volume on the phone and raise it at your pleasure on the car....
Old 01-19-07, 11:20 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

I'll give that a try but it also does it with cds and radio so don't think thats the only problem.
Old 01-29-07, 02:26 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

So the car is in the shop and it looks like it is going to be there for a few days. They've got the shop foreman and manager etc.. working on it. So far they think it might be the amplifier itself. Will update when I get more info.

I even burned a cd full of songs that bring out the distortion, so hopefully they can figure it out once and for all.
Old 01-29-07, 02:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
So the car is in the shop and it looks like it is going to be there for a few days. They've got the shop foreman and manager etc.. working on it. So far they think it might be the amplifier itself. Will update when I get more info.

I even burned a cd full of songs that bring out the distortion, so hopefully they can figure it out once and for all.
Thanks for keeping us posted... I look forward to you reporting the results!
Old 01-30-07, 05:36 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Picked up the car today....

...They replaced the ML amp. On initial test listen didn't hear a thing.

On the drive home and listening in my driveway. I heard it again....

Most of the distortion is gone, but its still coming from the same speaker. The drivers mid range. Its now about 85-90% gone, but I can still hear it a bit faintly.

This is driving me nuts. This will seriously be like the 5th time going into the dealership...
Old 01-30-07, 05:37 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Has no one else had this problem at all? Does everyone else's bluetooth phone calls come through like CRYSTAL clear without any vibrations coming through the door etc..
Old 02-15-07, 08:02 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Car is back at the dealership.... While most of this distortion noise is gone, it still occurs from time to time. Mostly on certain frequencies and on bluetooth phone calls.

Dealership is not sure what to do. They are thinking about replacing the door panels themselves. Man, this is driving me nuts. All I want is a quiet cabin and no distortion when listening to music. Is that too much to ask???

I am not fond of driving IS250's, ES350, and RX350's loaners more than my own car.

Although the RX400H was cool. Too bad they don't give out LS460 loaners....

I'll update again when I get the car back.
Old 02-26-07, 01:35 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Thought I should update. So my service advisor looked over EVERY single time the car was in for service. Turns out they didnt replace the drivers side mid range, they accidentally somehow replaced the tweeter and the woofer in the door. So they replaced the mid range and SO far I'm not hearing any thing.

Although I am hearing the passenger mid range do the same thing now, EVER so slightly. I may bring this up later on down the road but I can barely hear it so I don't care.

The amp was the original part failure, so I'm guessing the failed amp somehow damaged the mid ranges and they were damaged after the amp was replaced thus continuing to cause distortion. The system sounds great now, EXCEPT, for the fact that the doors cannot take deep bass. At upper volumes the panels rattle at different frequencies. Its not too bad, but they've done all that they can, they've insulated the panels with foam to the best of their ability but they aren't going to be able to achieve perfect silence. I think som dynamatting is in my future. While the stock insulation is adequate it is not great, and I think some dynamat can definitely improve on the ML audio system.

Rattle case closed. now its onto the improvements.
Old 02-26-07, 01:44 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good that they fixed the major problems. I get an occasional slight buzz or rattle on very deep bass notes on the passenger side, but you never can get perfect reproduction in a car environment, so I'm not going to worry about it. There is just too much plastic and interlocking parts to be immune from this sort of thing. I'll sit in my living room for good sound reproduction.