IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tweeter sounds "blown" distorting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 08:55 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tweeter sounds "blown" distorting...

I've got the ML system and when I take phone calls the call clarity is pretty bad. It sounds like the tweeter is distorting.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I've also tested CDS and I can pinpoint it down on certain types of frequencies. The right side definitely doesn't do this...

Music mostly sounds ok, but can tell that something just isn't quite right.
Old 12-26-06, 08:37 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Does nobody but me have this problem???

Its most evident when using the bluetooth phone. Everyones voice comes crackling through the tweeter.
Old 12-26-06, 08:39 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have ML, but I don't have that problem either.

When I use BT everything comes out clear. Maybe you should run it by your dealer and let them hear it?
Old 12-26-06, 08:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

My experience matches IS_Mine. I don't have ML either, but my BT calls sound as good as if I was taking them on the handset.
Old 12-26-06, 08:48 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, that's definitely on the to do list. With the holidays etc.. it just such a busy time of year. I'll definitely have them check it out though. Just wondering if others have had similar problems.
Old 01-17-07, 09:20 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

So brought the car into the dealership and ended up doing the following:

Replace driver side mid range speaker, Replace driver side tweeter, insulate the front passenger side door panel.

Waiting for the tweeter to come in, so I'll update on sound quality once its all done. Those rattles/distortion were driving me crazy.

Dealership stated I'm one of the first to have this problem, so maybe it was just a fluke in the set of speakers I got. Wouldn't have expected this with the ML system, but guess you never know.
Old 01-17-07, 10:09 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tcho82
So brought the car into the dealership and ended up doing the following:

Replace driver side mid range speaker, Replace driver side tweeter, insulate the front passenger side door panel.

Waiting for the tweeter to come in, so I'll update on sound quality once its all done. Those rattles/distortion were driving me crazy.

Dealership stated I'm one of the first to have this problem, so maybe it was just a fluke in the set of speakers I got. Wouldn't have expected this with the ML system, but guess you never know.
I don't think replacing the speakers will help... I have the same "problem"... It's not really a problem, just the way the system sounds... It's not CRYSTAL clear, a bit fuzzy... But since music sounds perfect, I assume it's distortion from the bluetooth/cell phone or processing in the headunit... So that's why I don't think replacing the speakers will help... But let me know your experience... I hate the poor quality...

I have a cingular motorola slvr L7 btw...
Old 01-17-07, 10:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Wait...

It wouldn't be like the crackling sound you get from lets say your IPOD?

My cell phone does that some times when I have a bad signal.. but I know its my phone and not the system itself.
Old 01-17-07, 10:17 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Wait...

It wouldn't be like the crackling sound you get from lets say your IPOD?

My cell phone does that some times when I have a bad signal.. but I know its my phone and not the system itself.
Yes, I think it is bad signal... BUT, I think that the audio system amplifies the distortion abnormally... Because if I am getting distortion on the system, I have switched to the handset, and there is still a BIT of distortion, but way less...

Because when I have strong signal, which is most of the time, the bluetooth system sounds great... But, about 15% of the time, it sounds like crap, most likely due to bad signal... But if I use the handset, I only get bad distortion on the phone like 1-2% of the time...
Old 01-17-07, 10:53 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

It has to be the speaker as this also happens during cd playback. When you go from one side of the car it is fine(right side), then fade over to the left side of the car, you hear the distortion.

Also there wouldn't be any distortion from my ipod either as I am using the line out output from the ipod through the dock connector. Not just the mini plug. But the distortion happens on phone calls the most, then on certain frequencies in cd playback.
Old 01-17-07, 10:54 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Also I never get a crackling sound from my ipod or my cell phone. I have a verizon wireless krzr, and have also used the razr and blackberry 8703 e with not problems.
Old 01-17-07, 01:36 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tcho82
It has to be the speaker as this also happens during cd playback. When you go from one side of the car it is fine(right side), then fade over to the left side of the car, you hear the distortion.

Also there wouldn't be any distortion from my ipod either as I am using the line out output from the ipod through the dock connector. Not just the mini plug. But the distortion happens on phone calls the most, then on certain frequencies in cd playback.
I'm not calling what my IPOD does as a distortion, more like a popping because I had to basically lose quality of sound when I went from .wma to that .aac crap. IPOD quality FTL.. I was better off with playing .wma CDs.
Old 01-17-07, 02:35 PM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm haven't converted wma to aac. But everything I have has been converted from CD straight to AAC and I have great quality playback, I convert to 192 AAC, and its crystal clear and no snap crackle or pops.

The only downside is that I can't have aac burned cds playing. But I've got the ipod so doesnt really matter.
Old 01-17-07, 06:13 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I have noticed a reproducible faint crackling which only seems to involve the driver's side passenger door speaker (just behind my head rest) which occurs consistently with the same songs on certain cd's. Since it doesn't happen with all songs or cd's, I assumed it had something to do with the ML surround processing.
Old 01-17-07, 06:22 PM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same problem and I had my friend who has an audio store and said that the if you listen to the IPOD it will sound like that because of the different frequencies on the IPOD are set different. I still get a werid sound under CD and FM as well so Im going to bring it to my dealers attention.

Quick Reply: Tweeter sounds "blown" distorting...