IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Confused about HID's

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 09:28 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about HID's

I'm looking to get a kit for Christmas, however am lost....

So I went through the forums and read a bunch about HID conversion kits for the IS250. However I'm still confused on what to get. Is it supposed to be H11 kit or 9006 kit? I want to be sure to get the right one, I have no idea what the numbers mean.

I thought it was supposed to be the 9006 kit... but read people getting the H11....
Old 12-19-06, 09:35 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

If you currently have halogens in your IS now, then you need to a get H11 HID conversion kit to have HID. I think 9006 is if you want HID for the fogs but I am not entirely sure. XenonDepot sells H11 kits and 2IS owners have mostly agreed it is a decent kit. I have their HID kit too but don't have time to install it yet. People with OEM Lexus HID don't need the H11 kit but rather just some new D4S bulbs if they want 6000k HIDs, etc.
Old 12-19-06, 09:36 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

H11 = for the headlights

9006 = fog lights
Old 12-19-06, 09:38 PM
cajunboy
Driver

The H11 kit that you need. The 9006 if for you fog light. I hope this help
Old 12-19-06, 09:39 PM
cajunboy
Driver

wow, you guys beat me to it..lol
Old 12-19-06, 11:30 PM
lexusam
Driver School Candidate

Ok so if we need a 9006 for foglight do we need to purchase a separate foglight housing?
Old 12-20-06, 02:39 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need are two set of HID kits one for H11 for low beam and 9006 for the fog, as long as you get the right model should be easy to get them done...
Old 12-20-06, 04:55 AM
jjwalker
Driver

I bought the H11 4300k kit from Xenon Depot. Nice high quality components and the light output is much better.
Old 12-20-06, 07:07 AM
Wai
Pole Position

I've mentioned it before, but I would like to point it out again.

Putting an HID kit in OEM halogen projector is a bad idea. I don't care what others said how "good" their beam looks, it's just their perception. If you really compare it with the OEM HID, you can see the difference in beam cutoff and glare right away.

The OEM HID might seem to be weaker, but it's not. It's just the fact that the light is more confined and has clean cutoff without glare. Glare is what the driver perceived as "bright" but it's not, and that's what blinding the oncoming traffic too.

I've had experience with one of my cars with this place:
www.customlightz.com
They do retrofits with HID projectors and shroud. I went with their recommendation with the TSX projectors and shroud on my Integra, and the result is amazing (TSX and S2000 has the best projectors). I'll be doing a TL bi-xenon with custom shroud and painted housing for my 4Runner next.

If you wanna do it, do it right. It's a safety issue too. Good luck!
Old 12-20-06, 07:28 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Originally Posted by Wai
Putting an HID kit in OEM halogen projector is a bad idea. I don't care what others said how "good" their beam looks, it's just their perception. If you really compare it with the OEM HID, you can see the difference in beam cutoff and glare right away.

The OEM HID might seem to be weaker, but it's not. It's just the fact that the light is more confined and has clean cutoff without glare. Glare is what the driver perceived as "bright" but it's not, and that's what blinding the oncoming traffic too.
Wai,

Do you have photo examples of what you are talking about? I'm no expert on this subject. I've had HID kits for only 4 days now and have not had anyone flash me so I'm assuming I'm not blinding anyone.

I do have some co-workers that have complained about the tsx lights blinding them. I thought this is because there is no auto-leveling?

Thanks
Old 12-20-06, 08:25 AM
Wai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Wai,

Do you have photo examples of what you are talking about? I'm no expert on this subject. I've had HID kits for only 4 days now and have not had anyone flash me so I'm assuming I'm not blinding anyone.

I do have some co-workers that have complained about the tsx lights blinding them. I thought this is because there is no auto-leveling?

Thanks
To be honest with you, it's hard to tell from photos. But on the Custom Lightz website, they have TONS of photos showing a lot of work they've done before, including the beam pattern and etc (under Multi Media -- Pictures -- Projector's Cutoff's). You can take a look there.

They also have pictures showing the retrofits they've done before. Besides the TSX projectors, they've also used projectors from Porsche (Hella), E46/A4, Evo 8, E55, A8... etc with various shrouds. So basically you can mix and match whatever projector and shroud that you like, or even LED's, CCFL, angel eyes if you wish. Sorry I sound like a sales person for them, but I was just so happy with their work that I can't resist.

I think you are right that your co-worker's experience with the TSX lights might be due to no auto-leveling.

The kind of glare from putting HID in halogen projector I was referring to was similar to the very early car models that come with OEM HID's in late 90's, like Porsche 993TT and BMW 7-series. I remember the Limo union that my uncle was in (in Chicago), was threatening a lawsuit against those manufacturers. And after that, you can see that all the new OEM HID's now have projectors and shroud to confine the light.

Without a shroud, you might have to aim the light a bit more downward to not blind the on-coming traffic. But that would sacrifice your own visibility. It might seem to be white and bright, but at the corner of your eye, you would always see the glare.
Old 12-20-06, 02:12 PM
jjwalker
Driver

Wai,

Thanks for the info I'll checkout the site.
Old 12-23-06, 05:37 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

So I ordered the H11 kit from Xenondepot... the only issue now is installation. Is it really as easy as everyone says it is??? I'm a little worried I might mess something up or break something.

Any suggestions or places to get them installed in So Cal?? (Orange County area)
Old 01-04-07, 08:51 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

i ordered a kit from xenon depot.... does anyone know how long it takes??? i ordered before christmas and still havent gotten it. i didnt even get a tracking number or anything.
Old 01-04-07, 09:50 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjwalker
Wai,

Thanks
Only time you need a projector retrofit is if you do not have projectors.

The new IS comes with projectors regardless if it is HID or Halogen.

Retrofit is not needed. PNP Kits are sufficient.

Quick Reply: Confused about HID's