IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Some thoughts about the 2IS forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 09:48 AM
Irishfan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some thoughts about the 2IS forum

After being on the CL boards for a couple months, I've noticed that there's a large amount of negativity concerning the 2IS coming from a certain contingent of people. Now, don't get me wrong…if there's something wrong with our cars, I'd be the first to want to know. And, this contingent seems to always be very forthcoming, and not at all offensive or resorting to personal attacks. In fact, they seem like pretty decent people. So, I got to thinking, I believe there are a couple reasons this particular attitude offends a good number of people on the forum. 1. Nobody likes to hear that something they like/spent a lot of money on/have dedicated a large amount of time and effort into learning about to make it as best as it can possible be flat-out sucks. 2. There's absolutely nothing constructive about said attitude.
To elaborate on the second point: it'd be one thing to have someone mention a problem or concern they're having with their car, and have someone jump in saying, 'Well frankly, these cars don't do this so well. Here's something you can do to fix it, or maybe you could look to this other car for a different take on the issue,' as opposed to, 'I hate to say it, but the car is crap, there's nothing to be gained by trying to solve your problem.' A common response to this is people to ask, well, why is this person even on this board? I feel like this is the wrong attitude...I think people can always learn something from anyone who is at least capable of presenting their perspective in a clear and friendly manner. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen. While I feel that everyone deserves a voice, excessively negative posts thinly disguised as flame-bait create a lot of unnecessary hostility and detract from our sense of community.
My point of writing all this is to ask people who may fall into this category to please, try and think about what you're doing. I really believe that everyone here would absolutely love to have a place where we can have friendly, car-related discussion without feeling like that the thread could turn into a ****** show at any second. If you're going to promote other cars, please remember you *are* on a Lexus-themed board. While your opinions are entirely relevant, the context in which you voice them isn't, necessarily. I think most of the people who fall into this category are aware of this, and are more or less enjoying the fact that they're fostering a bunch of hostility. I guess what I'm hoping is for these people to show a bit more maturity and empathy in their posts, so our little spot on the web about the 2IS can be a happy and community-driven place to have a discussion. Thanks.

-Andy

Last edited by Irishfan; 12-20-06 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 11:19 AM
Redpaste
Lead Lap

Well said

and I agree entirely
Old 12-20-06, 11:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Well said Andy.

I'll let this post standalone for a couple of days them merge it into the 'community' thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247192
Old 12-20-06, 12:15 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you!

That is perfect.
Old 12-20-06, 05:24 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Group hug everybody
Old 12-20-06, 05:54 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-20-06, 06:44 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Does this mean I can use my Avatar again..?
Attached Images  

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-21-06 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 06:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Does this mean I can use my Avator again..?

It's an avatar and no.

You are not going to get any of our members in trouble with a NWS image, even a cartoon. That is very well spelled out in our forum rules which you agreed to follow when you joined CL. Attaching it again here is not appreciated.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq...#faq_work_safe
Non-work-safe Images and Profanity
Club Lexus strives to be a work-safe forum that allows our members to view topics without breaking most corporate web access rules. No nude images, near-nudity or overtly sexual content are allowed to be posted on our forum, used in signature images or avatars, or stored in our Club Lexus gallery. These items will be removed without notice.

We also ask that a certain level of decorum be observed when posting ‘gross’ pictures. If your co-worker or grandmother would be shocked if they saw what you’re posting, then don’t post it.

Any profanity that cannot readily be heard on prime time network television will not be tolerated anywhere on the Club Lexus site. Members who violate the rule will be warned either in public or in private, and a second time will result in suspension. Obvious circumvention of the profanity language edits on our forum to carry the same meaning falls under this same policy.

These threads or gallery pictures will have images or profanity removed and locked or deleted without notification to the member.
I'm sorry if this seems strict to you, but that's the way this forum operates. There are plenty of places (most of it, lol) on the internet for **** and sexual images if you must have it. You will not put my job or the jobs of your fellow forum members at risk if we surf CL at work.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-20-06 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 08:38 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Ha, nice work, didn't think **** was going to have to be pulled that soon from this thread.

Thanks for the support, and sorry for the long and serious post, but it's something that kinda bugs me each time I see a thread that starts out interesting and neutral, then ralphs all over itself once someone intentionally says the wrong thing.

It'd be better if people instead devoted their energy toward working on my laundry list of things I'd like to change, including: convincing the dealer to turn off my DRL's/allowing me access to the scan tool to do it my damn self, an '07 nav soft bypass, raising the windows via remote, having a true dual exhaust, and um, how about....a standalone ECU/means to edit custom maps? Anyone?!?
Old 12-21-06, 05:18 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It's an avatar and no.
Understood - I was only kidding
Old 12-21-06, 06:39 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well said I have to agree wholeheartedly. I belong to quite a few forums and it is that type of post that often ruins the sense of community that can exist. The other opinions, while they may have validity, just don't really belong on a forum that is geared to Lexus IS enthusiasts. If one has such negativity towards the IS then this isn't really the place to bash the car.