Canadians: Question about IS350 and our Winters

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 11:09 AM
TRDCelica
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadians: Question about IS350 and our Winters

Hi everyone,

First post here. Been driving a 2000 Celica GT throughout university and I recently got recruited and found a great job. (I live in Toronto)

With my parents help and my own salary, I am now looking for a new Lexus IS.

Im debating whether to get a IS250AWD or IS350.

I want an IS250AWD for better traction on our horrible snowy seasons. (No snow yet, but all Toronto citizens know when the snows starts to come down, it pours).

But at the same time, I want the IS350 for the sheer power.

So the question is, what do Canadians think about getting an IS350 vs IS250AWD?
Is RWD + snow tires adequate?

My friend is a great driver and has a MT IS300 with Pirelli winters, and he says that his car still handles terribly in the snow.

Similar to another friend that drives a C230 coupe with winters, says that his RWD car is terrible in the snow.

What are your opinions? Safety does matter to me first. I rather be driving a slower car then end up in an accident.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-06, 11:23 AM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

I drive on the highway a lot so I opted for the AWD. The extra power wasn't that important to me. Even with the AWD I put snows on. I couldn't tell you how it is yet, as we haven't seen snow yet. But others have posted that their cars handled just fine even with the stock all seasons.

If you go for the 350, you would almost defenitly need snow tires. You would also have to be more carefully, but you can pull it off no question. If you really want the power I wouldn't let the winter season discourage you from getting the 350.
Old 12-20-06, 03:41 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had always driven FWD cars for years and had never owned a RWD car until now. I purchased an IS 350 and live in Toronto. I had the car delivered with 17" snows on it in November and have been expecting and thus far not getting snow. I can't comment on the intelligence of having a RWD car in Toronto from firsthand experience, but friends who have always had RWD cars here have all said the same thing. The RWD car will be fine as long as you have snows. It will certainly stop better than FWD with all seasons on it, and likely go better as well.
Old 12-21-06, 05:51 AM
TRDCelica
Driver School Candidate

Its almost Christmas and we have barely even seen snow in Toronto.
Old 12-21-06, 05:53 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDCelica
Its almost Christmas and we have barely even seen snow in Toronto.
Or -20 degree weather
Old 12-21-06, 07:37 AM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDCelica
Safety does matter to me first. I rather be driving a slower car then end up in an accident.

Thanks!
I guess you answered your own question there
But let me tell you, last year when I picked up the awd, I still slid around in the snow with the brand new all-seasons that came with the car. This happened even under very gentle throttle application.
Old 12-21-06, 07:47 AM
markyboy
Rookie

Do a search for snow tires you will find lots of information. I have a 350 and live in Calgary (we get lots of snow here too) none right now though. Snow tires are a must. I have never driven an awd car in the snow but the 350 with snow tires is more than adequate for Calgary winters. If you can afford it you may regret not getting the 350. The power is awesome. Just drive slow in winter.
Old 12-21-06, 08:01 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With winter tires the car is transformed, no problems if you drive smooth and use snow mode if you have to, and I have 18" winter tires.
Old 12-21-06, 08:21 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSE25
I guess you answered your own question there
But let me tell you, last year when I picked up the awd, I still slid around in the snow with the brand new all-seasons that came with the car. This happened even under very gentle throttle application.
I keep on asking the dealer, and I'm ready to spend the money, but they tell me I'll be good as they had no issues last year with the all season tires and snow.
Old 12-21-06, 08:48 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

More secure? Well that depend on the driver. I have four snows and I drive prudent in winter. Never cause me any problems before with my last two RWD car's. When you press on the brakes both IS are equal. For me, it was a no question. The engine is a blast and worth every penny.
Old 12-21-06, 09:26 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

when i was driving my supra in the snow. it was ****.... I recommend a few sand bags in the trunk to help. Howerver, trac and all these new elctro gismos help RWD cars in the snow.
Old 12-22-06, 03:27 AM
SY300
Driver School Candidate

I drive my IS300 with winters and I still slip. In the snow, I have to drive like a grandma.
Old 12-22-06, 06:26 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the weight distribution on an IS300?
Old 12-22-06, 10:35 AM
TRDCelica
Driver School Candidate

54/46 front to rear according to the web.
Old 12-23-06, 09:31 AM
CDN_Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by totalstu
I keep on asking the dealer, and I'm ready to spend the money, but they tell me I'll be good as they had no issues last year with the all season tires and snow.
Invest in a good set of snows and drive according to weather conditions and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Canadians: Question about IS350 and our Winters