IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Experienced weird electrical system failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 07:07 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced weird electrical system failure

So today I whip into a parking space, shut the car off, get out, and hit the door handle button to lock the doors. No beep, so I go back and hit the button again & again & again. Nothing. I try the key fob. Nothing. So I get back in and try to start the car again. Absolutely nothing. Everything is completely dead for about 5 minutes. While I’m dialing Lexus roadside service, I try it again. This time the car comes back to life and reboots. Everything is back to normal and no problems whatsoever.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The same exact thing has happened a few times on our RX, but the dealership has never been able to diagnose or replicate the problem.
Old 12-20-06, 07:37 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

Samething happenned to me, I had to press it like 3 times before it locked, I think it is just every computer sometimes it just gets a little slow and backed up.
Old 12-21-06, 06:29 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

WTF?!?!

It happened to me again this morning. Everything was completely dead. This is bull....

Anyone else? 9520G, it doesn't sound like your problem is the same as mine. My whole car goes dead for several minutes. So much for Lexus quality.
Old 12-21-06, 07:01 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like you got a major electrical problem. Have you gotten any of the wiring or devices exposed to rain, or any type of liquid? This happened to my old mr2 turbo, part of the wiring harness was not sufficiently covered after installing a new motor..so one day I'm driving in the rain and hit a puddle, a little bit of the water splashes onto the harness..and zap the car goes into a convulsion and shuts down.

Best thing to do is take the car in, this is most likely covered under warranty.
Old 12-21-06, 10:08 PM
LexyIS350
Driver

I'm just throwing this up in the air, but is it possible that your key fob is running low on batteries? The car is not seeing your key fob therefore you can't start the car.
Old 12-21-06, 10:49 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexyIS350
I'm just throwing this up in the air, but is it possible that your key fob is running low on batteries? The car is not seeing your key fob therefore you can't start the car.
shouldn't affect the door locking though... i'm pretty sure anyone could lock your car with a press of the button without the key fob being near
Old 12-21-06, 11:37 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Batmobile
shouldn't affect the door locking though... i'm pretty sure anyone could lock your car with a press of the button without the key fob being near

Depends on which button....if you press the one on the outside of the car, it will not lock without the keyfob present. The inside on, obviously will work.

....for the person that started this thread, as opposed to making a trip to the dealer, check on one thing first....it's very simple. Make sure the battery cables are tightly fastened to the battery.
I hope that you find that a cable is loose, and if so, simply snug up the cable....good luck!!
Old 12-21-06, 11:47 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by muzzman1
Depends on which button....if you press the one on the outside of the car, it will not lock without the keyfob present.
hmmm... i didn't know that... learn something new everyday,
Old 12-22-06, 12:32 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Alright, I stopped by the dealer today, without car -still dead at that time. The service advisor was clueless to the cause as well. He did suggest that I try it with my other remote, since it could be a transmitter issue (that didn't work either). He also suggested maybe an ECU problem. Anyway it's scheduled to be towed to the dealership tomorrow.

So I get home, and the damn thing starts right up/reboots and is working fine. I checked the battery connections and they are tight. I haven't checked everything yet, but I did notice the one-touch feature on the power windows isn't working, and I can only operate the driver's side window from the driver door, not any of the other windows from the driver door. All the other windows work ok, from their respective door only and not with the one-touch feature (does one-touch apply to the other doors? -not sure). Hopefully the dealer can get this resolved.

These kinds of problems remind me of the last time I bought a car from a US manufacturer 11 years ago. The headlights, power mirrors, and windshield wipers on a new Chrysler POS quit working the day I drove it off the dealer's lot.
Old 12-22-06, 04:04 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

You have all the symptoms of a momentarily disconnected battery which
leads me to believe your battery is defective and intermitently loosing
connection internally.
Old 12-22-06, 05:58 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
You have all the symptoms of a momentarily disconnected battery which
leads me to believe your battery is defective and intermitently loosing
connection internally.
which could adversely effect your alternator
Old 12-22-06, 05:59 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
which could adversely effect your alternator
I was thinking the same thing. If not one of those relays if flakey.. for it to work then not work is crazy!
Old 12-22-06, 06:10 AM
mkivbadger
Rookie

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
WTF?!?!

It happened to me again this morning. Everything was completely dead. This is bull....

Anyone else? 9520G, it doesn't sound like your problem is the same as mine. My whole car goes dead for several minutes. So much for Lexus quality.
Sorry for the troubles.....but, to blame "Lexus Quality" is hardly fair. All cars have the potential for problems...yes, even Lexus. The bigger question would be how is the dealer going to take care of it...if the problem is correctly diagnosed and repaired efficiently and effectively, one could chalk it up to a glitch any automobile regardless of the make and model can run into. I do hope this gets resolved quickly...sounds very frustrating to say the least.
Old 12-22-06, 07:39 AM
^saint
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,

to all that is blaming this on Lexus Quality, this is not the problem. I too have this problem and you will be very surprised what I tell you the results are.

First a question, are you having this problem always at your home?

Like I said, I too had this issue, but it only occured when I was at work, and was only a problem when I parked in particular parking spots. If I part too close to my building near the Engineering lab; who the hell knows what they are doing in there; it will disable all of my remotes. I tried both of my FOB's and still could not get the thing to work.

I called the dealer and if you are having this issue, all you have to do is press the Brake down, hold your FOB next to the START button for 60 seconds, then press the Start and boom your car turns on.

Either way back to my story, so I was going to take my car in for service, since I tried different FOB's, I changed the batteries, and still my FOB's had no function. Well once I got the care moved out of the location it would start every time with no problem. Next day I tried my theory and parked in the same spot next to the building and wouldn't you know it the FOB's were useless again.

So if you read in the book it clearly states that electircal and other waves being transmitted in the area my have adverse effects on your FOB's. This surely sounds like the issue you are having. I would check to make sure no one in your area has Wireless networks or a large power source sending out waves that are interfering with your FOB's.

Cliffs: Radio Waves in the air are effecting your FOB's.
Old 12-22-06, 08:01 AM
KMRIS350
Driver

I don’t think its radio or electrical interference. He said he is not getting any power at all. That has nothing to do with the FOB. He was in the car and tried to start it and he got nothing! If it was a FOB problem or radio interference he would have still got the error “no key detected” The only way to not get that error is complete electrical shutdown. I think it’s a short or maybe the battery!! I’m not sure how long you have had the car but out here in Arizona the heat kills batteries very fast. You might want to check the battery too. Just my $.02 I hope the dealer will get you back on the road in time for Christmas!! Good Luck!