IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Had JL Audio subwoofer and amplified installed today - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 08:12 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
There must be some kind of converter in between the high level signal to the old sub to the amp. The amp will not be able to handle a high level, powered signal. I think what Dj Amtrax was asking was how do you have the powered sub signal down-converted to a low level signal so that the amp can accept the signal?
The JL Audio slash series amps can accept high level powered signals... No line level converters are necessary...
Old 12-23-06, 08:13 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tt061880
Just tapped into the signal output to the stock sub? You meant the stock sub has a built-in amp?

BTW, great setup, that's exactly how I want my setup, I just want a little more bass.
No, the speaker wires going to the stock sub are rerouted to the JL Audio amp...

Ya, I just wanted more bass, the rest sounded great to me
Old 12-23-06, 08:14 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okiaristo
Nah, not boring. lets call is conservatively safe. does it sound good across th emusic range? likfrom say rap to rock to jazz?
Yup... I mostly listen to hip hop/rap though, about 75%... the rest is rock... It all sounds about the same as stock, just more bass... hehe...
Old 12-23-06, 08:49 AM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's where my shop mounted my amp also.. After 2 months it was no longer working, I did some research and most amp maunfactors recommend not mounting it upside down to the rear deck, something about the heatsink can't work properly.. Yea come to find out that only cheap amps have that problem.. Pointless post I guess but mines in the same place again with no problems as of yet
Old 12-23-06, 09:00 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by okiaristo
Nah, not boring. lets call is conservatively safe. does it sound good across th emusic range? likfrom say rap to rock to jazz?
Actually, I want to revise my answer to this post... I feel that the low-end bass is great... BUT, the mid-range bass (say, 100-150hz is very weak)... Now, this is not a problem for most music, but I thought I'd mention it... Here's why this happens in the IS350...

The factory subwoofer signal is crossed over... Only 30hz to 80hz is allowed to pass... So anything below 30hz is filtered out, and anything above 80hz is filtered out... Below 30hz is not a problem, as the low-end bass is already shattering the car into pieces if I turn the gain up... The problem is from 80 to about 120hz or so... This "mid-bass" is definitely weak... Not really a "huge" problem, but if I had my way, I'd like about 20% more bass in that range... But from what I can tell, there is no way to do this...

Any ideas on how to get around this? (Besides a JL Cleansweep which would be silly just for 1 subwoofer)

Here are the settings on my JL Audio 250/1 amp btw:

AMP LP FILTER: OFF
BASS CONTROL: OFF
LF BOOST: 0 DB
INPUT VOLTAGE: HIGH
INPUT SENS: MINIMUM (Fully counter-clockwise)
SIGNAL SENSING: OFF

Any recommendations on how to get more "upper" end bass in the system?
Old 12-23-06, 10:20 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Actually, I want to revise my answer to this post... I feel that the low-end bass is great... BUT, the mid-range bass (say, 100-150hz is very weak)... Now, this is not a problem for most music, but I thought I'd mention it... Here's why this happens in the IS350...

The factory subwoofer signal is crossed over... Only 30hz to 80hz is allowed to pass... So anything below 30hz is filtered out, and anything above 80hz is filtered out... Below 30hz is not a problem, as the low-end bass is already shattering the car into pieces if I turn the gain up... The problem is from 80 to about 120hz or so... This "mid-bass" is definitely weak... Not really a "huge" problem, but if I had my way, I'd like about 20% more bass in that range... But from what I can tell, there is no way to do this...

Any ideas on how to get around this? (Besides a JL Cleansweep which would be silly just for 1 subwoofer)

Here are the settings on my JL Audio 250/1 amp btw:

AMP LP FILTER: OFF
BASS CONTROL: OFF
LF BOOST: 0 DB
INPUT VOLTAGE: HIGH
INPUT SENS: MINIMUM (Fully counter-clockwise)
SIGNAL SENSING: OFF

Any recommendations on how to get more "upper" end bass in the system?
from what ive seen the only way to get a full range signal is to sum the inputs into a device like the cleansweep or audiocontrol LC 8
Old 12-23-06, 02:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dfw350
all jl subs blow except the w7 series
I've used JL subs exclusively in every car audio system i've had and have yet to blow one.
Old 12-23-06, 04:03 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I've used JL subs exclusively in every car audio system i've had and have yet to blow one.
Same here. I've used JL subs as far back as the early 90s. I have never blown one. In fact, I have never blown any speaker ever. I'm still amazed at how people can blow speakers left and right. Seems like a waste of money to me to keep having to buy new speakers.
Old 12-23-06, 08:36 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

and you're basing this statement off of what? I've owned many of JL's subwoofers and have yet to blow one. In response to your comment I'll go one step further to say I abuse the hell out of my subs, and enter them in SPL comps regularly; I have however managed to lock up the voice coils on 3 Rockford Fosgate DVC 12's and 3 10's as well (the old dvc's before rockford went all futuristic looking and focused more on quality), also locked up 4 (2 and then 2 again) Kicker Solobaric 12's (old school round ones). And before anyone quizzes me on clipping them out, or underpowering them, I was driving the Solobarics with 2 Linear Power DPS500's, and the 3 12's with 3 Phoenix Gold ZX350's running at 2 Ohms.

I know it's rather off topic, and will probably derail the thread into a subwoofer debate, but I can't stand it when someone bashes an entire brand because of one bad experience. To each his own, but I will firmly back JL products and continue to use them in my vehicles based on personal experience with other brands.

And to add to the topic about Technique's install, it looks very very clean. I know you had to pay an arm and a leg for it; you couldn't get them to clean up those screws holding down the trim around the sub?
Old 12-24-06, 12:17 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed in the pictures that no Dynamat was used. Any rattles? If so, where?
Old 12-24-06, 04:59 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj_AmtraX
I noticed in the pictures that no Dynamat was used. Any rattles? If so, where?
Correct, no dynamat.

No rattles, either inside or outside the car... But, keep in mind that my license plate is paper (30-day temp tag)... I'm sure when I switch to a metal one it will vibrate... I may dynamat the back of the license plate...
Old 12-24-06, 05:02 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cpsmith516
And to add to the topic about Technique's install, it looks very very clean. I know you had to pay an arm and a leg for it; you couldn't get them to clean up those screws holding down the trim around the sub?
Install wasn't that much money actually... (Well, I didn't think it was) I paid $380 for everything, which included all the materials (power and rca cables)... They worked on it for about 5-6 hours straight...

The "screws holding down the trim around the sub" you are referring to... You mean the screws holding down the JL Subwoofer? They bolted the subwoofer to the trunk floor so it wouldn't move around... They did this at the very end because they said that it was heavy enough that it shouldn't move around at all... But I told them that I take corners VERY fast sometimes and I was positive the sub would go tumbling around So they sort of thought about using straps, velcro, or whatever and I was like "Just use a small bracket and a bolt or something, let's make it 100% mounted"...

I bet there is a better/cleaner way to do it... Any suggestions?
Old 12-24-06, 08:18 AM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

$380? wow thats a lot.

im paying around $350 for my place to install a custom enclosure for 2 subs, cables, and labor.
Old 12-24-06, 08:25 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, 30.00 difference..........
Gotta love the nickle and dimers!

anyway, i like the clean aspect of your set up. I would love to upgrade my bass, however i need my trunk space. I would like to see a premade fiberglass enclosure for the right side of the trunk.......
Old 12-24-06, 09:34 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

all ignorant blanket statements blow.

as far as the install. nope, bolting it to the body is the best thing you can do. if you're making kick pods, bolting to the body is typically done on a good install, mostly for sound purposes. for your sub, i don't care how heave it is, it will shift roll tumble or just fly to the rear if you're "driving".

Quick Reply: Had JL Audio subwoofer and amplified installed today - PICS