IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Had JL Audio subwoofer and amplified installed today - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 10:37 AM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
I bet there is a better/cleaner way to do it... Any suggestions?
if it were me (an ex installer from my highschool days, so nothing too pro; but the first thing that came to mind) I would have taken the sub out of the box, drilled the screws through the bottom of the box from the inside into the trunk floor, then put the sub back in. 100% hidden bolts
Old 12-24-06, 10:38 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
as far as the install. nope, bolting it to the body is the best thing you can do. if you're making kick pods, bolting to the body is typically done on a good install, mostly for sound purposes. for your sub, i don't care how heave it is, it will shift roll tumble or just fly to the rear if you're "driving".
I totally agree... That's why I had them bolt it down
Old 12-24-06, 10:42 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vApor21
$380? wow thats a lot.

im paying around $350 for my place to install a custom enclosure for 2 subs, cables, and labor.
Ya, I figured it would be towards the upper end of price since it's the best place in town... But they are the best, and $400 is peanuts to me (sorry)... So, I wanted to go the best place... They had an AMG CL and a Suburban of one of the washington redskins in the bay on the day they did the install on my "el-cheapo" $45k Lexus... So it was nice to see them spend the same time and attention doing everything nice and stealth for someone who isn't famous/driving a $100k+ car or getting a $10k system... They are the ones who took the pictures I posted in this thread... I gave the installer my camera when I dropped the car off and was like "Hey, can you take some pics for me?" And he was like "Ya, sure man, no prob"... Definitely very cool of them to do that for me...

BTW, total cost of my system add-on was exactly 1G:

Amp - $220
Subwoofer with enclosure - $400
Parts and labor - $380

TOTAL - $1000 for bass
Old 12-24-06, 10:46 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cpsmith516
if it were me (an ex installer from my highschool days, so nothing too pro; but the first thing that came to mind) I would have taken the sub out of the box, drilled the screws through the bottom of the box from the inside into the trunk floor, then put the sub back in. 100% hidden bolts
We actually thought of that!!! That was my first idea, as I've done that before... BUT, they told me that the poly-fil in the box is SO densely packed, that if you remove the sub, it's VERY difficult to shove it back in... If you've ever seen the 10W6V2 pre-built sub/enclosure, you'll see how tiny this box is... It's super small, and supposedly stuffed to the max with poly-fil... So I decided to leave it tight from the factory and not mess with it...
Old 12-25-06, 02:35 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dfw350
all jl subs blow except the w7 series
maybe he means that all jl subs....blow the clothes off people's backs =P

...but then i would have no explanation for his "except for the w7 series"
Old 12-25-06, 09:15 AM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL subs blow your clothes off and the W7 series will finish the job.
Happy endings!

Last edited by Dj_AmtraX; 12-25-06 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-25-06, 09:50 AM
kj4976
Driver School Candidate

Actually, I want to revise my answer to this post... I feel that the low-end bass is great... BUT, the mid-range bass (say, 100-150hz is very weak)... Now, this is not a problem for most music, but I thought I'd mention it... Here's why this happens in the IS350...

The factory subwoofer signal is crossed over... Only 30hz to 80hz is allowed to pass... So anything below 30hz is filtered out, and anything above 80hz is filtered out... Below 30hz is not a problem, as the low-end bass is already shattering the car into pieces if I turn the gain up... The problem is from 80 to about 120hz or so... This "mid-bass" is definitely weak... Not really a "huge" problem, but if I had my way, I'd like about 20% more bass in that range... But from what I can tell, there is no way to do this...

Any ideas on how to get around this? (Besides a JL Cleansweep which would be silly just for 1 subwoofer)

Here are the settings on my JL Audio 250/1 amp btw:

AMP LP FILTER: OFF
BASS CONTROL: OFF
LF BOOST: 0 DB
INPUT VOLTAGE: HIGH
INPUT SENS: MINIMUM (Fully counter-clockwise)
SIGNAL SENSING: OFF

Any recommendations on how to get more "upper" end bass in the system?
I have just installed my system and was having the same issues. I talked to my installer and the clean sweep will not work. However, he did talk to the JL Audio rep and they are introducing a new product at CES in Jan. The product functions the same as a cleansweep however is specifically designed for subwoofer applications. It should go into production shortly and will be avalible in April or May. My installer told me JL was interested in testing one of the later models in my car, Ill keep you guys updated if that happens
Old 12-25-06, 11:14 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
maybe he means that all jl subs....blow the clothes off people's backs =P

...but then i would have no explanation for his "except for the w7 series"
He could mean that all JL subs suck 'except for the w7' which is still wrong IMO.

The w7 is indeed amazing (I had a 12w7) but the w6v2 isn't a slouch either. Properly installed, powered and x-overed, they are excellent subs.
Old 12-25-06, 08:13 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kj4976
I have just installed my system and was having the same issues. I talked to my installer and the clean sweep will not work. However, he did talk to the JL Audio rep and they are introducing a new product at CES in Jan. The product functions the same as a cleansweep however is specifically designed for subwoofer applications. It should go into production shortly and will be avalible in April or May. My installer told me JL was interested in testing one of the later models in my car, Ill keep you guys updated if that happens
Nice... Def keep us posted!!

BTW, after 24 hours and a few more minor tweaks, I am 99% satisfied... It might be nice to have the crossover at 120hz instead of 80hz, but I don't know if I'd spend any significant amount of time/money to achieve that... If there was a plug and play JL Audio product for that, then yes, but if it would require hours of labor, then no...
Old 12-28-06, 12:10 PM
teracon
Driver

Looks like Bailey's Crossroad (Myer-Emco). They do damn good work. Chris and the staff from their location did the install on my IS250 nearly a year ago. The installed an amp and 2 12"s. The install was great, but I had to take it out since I did not have any trunk space.
Old 12-28-06, 01:34 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

what i meant by blow is 'suck' not blow up/crap out.
ill rephrase it though since my statement got some heat.
what i meant, is i had 2 10w3v2's before in my maxima and it was not enough bass at all. i cannot see 1 10" being a big improvement over the ML 8" sub..
anyways, if i were to change out my ML sub, id go with something that has knock like the 13.5w7 or at least a 12w7.
Old 12-28-06, 02:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

i cannot see 1 10" being a big improvement over the ML 8" sub..
Well, you're wrong man... It's a HUGE improvement... Night and day...

The stock ML sub puts out almost no bass compared to the 10" in my car now... I have the gain on the 250/1 turned all the way down and I still have to turn the bass down on the head unit for certain hip hop songs... The SPL is just too much otherwise...
Old 12-28-06, 04:39 PM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

what i meant by blow is 'suck' not blow up/crap out.
ill rephrase it though since my statement got some heat.
what i meant, is i had 2 10w3v2's before in my maxima and it was not enough bass at all. i cannot see 1 10" being a big improvement over the ML 8" sub..
anyways, if i were to change out my ML sub, id go with something that has knock like the 13.5w7 or at least a 12w7.

What size of amp were you running on the maxima? I have the JL500/1 and it rocks the **** out of my IS350 with the gain all the way down. I also have 2 10wv2s. I wonder if it was your amp or the way they wire your speakers together that made have no bass? If we have a meet sometime next year i'll let you hear my 10s and let you decide.
Old 12-28-06, 04:39 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Well, you're wrong man... It's a HUGE improvement... Night and day...

The stock ML sub puts out almost no bass compared to the 10" in my car now... I have the gain on the 250/1 turned all the way down and I still have to turn the bass down on the head unit for certain hip hop songs... The SPL is just too much otherwise...

I would have to agree that 1 10" w7 can't be much of an improvement over the stock ML sub (especially when you consider the money spent)......That's just as far quantity of bass. I'm sure the quality is night and day. My friend has 2 10" w7's in his Mustang and they don't even scrape the surface of my 1 12" Kicker L7. That's with the sub restrictions we have with the IS headunit. He has an aftermarket headunit and still doesn't produce as much bass. But when I get inside his car and listen to his bass, the quality is outstanding.
I know that alot of other things come into play like: size amp and what not but.......he's powering each sub with an individual amp and he doesn't have earth shaking bass.
So I would just say....if you were going for quality, you made a really good decision. For earth shaking bass, JL anything is not the way to go.
Old 12-28-06, 04:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dajwilson
I would have to agree that 1 10" w7 can't be much of an improvement over the stock ML sub (especially when you consider the money spent)......That's just as far quantity of bass. I'm sure the quality is night and day. My friend has 2 10" w7's in his Mustang and they don't even scrape the surface of my 1 12" Kicker L7. That's with the sub restrictions we have with the IS headunit. He has an aftermarket headunit and still doesn't produce as much bass. But when I get inside his car and listen to his bass, the quality is outstanding.
I know that alot of other things come into play like: size amp and what not but.......he's powering each sub with an individual amp and he doesn't have earth shaking bass.
So I would just say....if you were going for quality, you made a really good decision. For earth shaking bass, JL anything is not the way to go.
Strange.... I would almost say I have the opposite experience!! The quantity is night and day with the stock system... But the quality, well, I dunno, it's definitely clearer now, but the biggest difference is the quantity... I would almost rather trade some of the quantity for more quality at this point... I wish I could turn the gain down further but it's already at the minimum point!

Remember, I am comparing this to the stock sub, which basically outputs NO bass... So while I might not have earth shaking bass, it's 10X more than the stock system which is basically non-existent bass...

Oh, and btw, I have a W6, not a W7

Quick Reply: Had JL Audio subwoofer and amplified installed today - PICS