IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 porsche cayman s vs IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 11:07 AM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fantom
Nope....all Cayman and Boxster's are mid engine six cylinder cars. So the Boxster has a fair amount of trunk space....front and rear. while the Cayman has a front trunk and rear hatch for storage.
fantom FTW.

It's un-natural to have an engine in the trunk lol. Oh well, Porsche makes it work on the 911, so my hats off to them for it.

Boxster / Cayman are mid-engined. Gotta love two trunks.
Old 12-26-06, 01:25 PM
Irishfan
Driver

I like the Cayman, took it for a test drive to see if I'd rather have it than the Elise. Besides the obvious cost-benefit issue, I read this hilarious article by Clarkson the other week.

His theory is that the Cayman is the most hated car on the planet. Non-Porsche owners see it and think, "what a jerk, he drives a Porsche," while Porsche owners see it and think, "what a jerk, he drives a wannabe Porsche."

Sad thing is, with the same amount of HP, the Cayman would run circles around the 911.

Anyone have this article?
Old 12-26-06, 01:26 PM
Irishfan
Driver

Oh yeah, and with the Cayman/Boxster, no access to the engine for DIY'ers, and repairs/maintenance are EXPENSIVE.
Old 12-26-06, 01:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishfan
His theory is that the Cayman is the most hated car on the planet. Non-Porsche owners see it and think, "what a jerk, he drives a Porsche," while Porsche owners see it and think, "what a jerk, he drives a wannabe Porsche."
Are you sure you don't mean the Cayenne (SUV)? I think that's the Porsche that loyalists sneer at.
Old 12-26-06, 01:54 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iobidder
Nevertheless, everything you said is a matter of opinion.
Since I have and enjoy both, it's a matter of experience.

However much of what's said here is opinion. The trick is to seperate fact from opinion....usually requiring both experience and intelligence.
Old 12-26-06, 03:36 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The Chad
fantom FTW.

It's un-natural to have an engine in the trunk lol. Oh well, Porsche makes it work on the 911, so my hats off to them for it.

Boxster / Cayman are mid-engined. Gotta love two trunks.

I hope you were kidding, because thats the ideal place for it to be. Actually with regards to sports cars you could say thats where it belongs
Old 12-26-06, 04:18 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, talk about the wrong class comparison. Just like someone who was comparing Lamborghini to the IS...LOL
Old 12-26-06, 05:43 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I hope you were kidding, because thats the ideal place for it to be. Actually with regards to sports cars you could say thats where it belongs
Yeah, of course I was kidding. I prefer a mid-engine setup though than what is in the 911. That is truely a rear-engine, which puts it on or behind the rear axle.
Old 12-26-06, 10:38 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chad
Yeah, of course I was kidding. I prefer a mid-engine setup though than what is in the 911. That is truely a rear-engine, which puts it on or behind the rear axle.
Indeed. Rear engine can be quite a handful if the car begins to oversteer. Many an inexperienced 911 owner has become scared entering a corner too fast and lifted off the gas -- this causes a weight shift to the front wheels -- the rears let go, and all that weight in back makes recovery from the resulting spin particularly difficult. Thankfully the stability control in recent years does an excellent job of taming unwanted trailing throttle oversteer.
Old 12-27-06, 03:27 AM
03LX470
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Personal Experience

I use my IS as a second car. My Porsche Cayenne is my first car. Prior to the IS, I had a Porsche Cayman S as my second car. So I do feel that I am to some extent qualified to give an opinion.

In my opinion, the IS does not come close to the Cayman in anything; handling being the most important. Even within the Porsche family, the mid-engine Cayman is the best handling.

If two doors and no-back-seat do not bother you, go for the Cayman and order the interior color of you choice as well as the short-shifter, sports chrono package and sports steering. Everything else is upto your desire and budget.

I do miss my Cayman. It had a very exotic color combination and I got compliments everywhere. However, it was not at all practical for me - I have kids and there was too much traffic where I live (1 hour to work in stop-and-go traffic). The Cayman is to be enjoyed while driving it and not in traffic. On the other hand, in the IS I dont feel tired reaching home after a long traffic jam and it has all the toys I want to play with while in traffic.

Of course, no one comes close to Lexus in terms of reliability. But since you live in the US, you cant lose either way as both Porsche and Lexus offer 4-year warranty. But beware, once you buy a Porsche, I think you are a customer for life so keep the cheque book ready every few years

Here's an interior pics of my Cayman taken on the day of delivery. It had the full leather interior (which includes the stitched leather on dash, etc.).

To be fair and since this is a Lexus forum, I will be posting pics of my IS once I install the ISP Mode Chrome wheels.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 porsche cayman s    vs IS-F-image017.jpg  

Last edited by 03LX470; 12-27-06 at 03:31 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 10:52 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Since I have and enjoy both, it's a matter of experience.
Ditto on the driving portion, and refuse to own German cars (Not saying they are not fun to drive), kudos to you and your 5 Porsche's. FACT is German cars have the worst electrical issues than any other automaker. I think maybe Kia Motors might be up there when it comes to electrical problems. When is comes to driveability, I am impressed with the 335i much more over the E46 M3, but owning it would more than likely never happen. Why do you think Audi and BMW offer those maintenance programs? They know that it is a matter ot time (short time) that when you drive off that showroom floor, you'll soon becoming back to replace a fuse or and HID ballast.
However much of what's said here is opinion.
Now that is a fact!
Old 12-27-06, 12:03 PM
fantom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iobidder
FACT is German cars have the worst electrical issues than any other automaker.
Just what do you base this supposed "fact" on? I've been a member of PCA for twenty years, get most of the Porsche rags, participate on several Porsche forums, and I've NEVER seen or heard of any ongoing electrical issues systemic to the make. Are you sure you aren't talking about Jags, before Ford took over?
Old 12-27-06, 02:19 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

yea i agree w/ zephyr.. why are we comparing these 2 cars? the is-f won't be the god of all cars
Old 12-27-06, 02:28 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

until its in production and all the stats are known its a pointless question
Old 12-27-06, 09:47 PM
iobidder
Pole Position

Just what do you base this supposed "fact" on? I've been a member of PCA for twenty years, get most of the Porsche rags, participate on several Porsche forums, and I've NEVER seen or heard of any ongoing electrical issues systemic to the make. Are you sure you aren't talking about Jags, before Ford took over?
Nope...Jag=British, I am refering to German. Yes, German.

I am refering to German cars, others are refering specifically to Porsche, and all that started in Post #2 when someone mentioned the Cayman, and it went on from there. I agree, 2 different cars totally, not even in the same class, so why make the comparision??

Quick Reply: 2007 porsche cayman s vs IS-F