IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-06, 06:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty99
It seems like the 07's are pulling off slightly quicker times. I wonder if Lexus tweaked the ECM code a bit for the Air/Fuel mixture or made some timing revisions to bump the power up a bit.
It's definatly not uncommon for improvements to be made year to year that incrase power and still keep the same power rating. The later model LS1 Camaro's and Trans Am's were dynoing significantly higher and running faster than previous years, yet GM kept the same rating. I believe their power difference came from a reworked intake manifold.
Old 12-24-06, 09:45 PM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seems like the 07's are pulling off slightly quicker times. I wonder if Lexus tweaked the ECM code a bit for the Air/Fuel mixture or made some timing revisions to bump the power up a bit.
I doubt the 07 is any quicker than the 06. It's the weather they tested in that makes the huge difference. Many of us on the board agree that cold weather yields significant faster time than hot weather. Many members here have run 13.6 bone stock and I'm one of the few lucky ones to break into 13.5
Old 12-24-06, 11:27 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Hm, I don't know that I've ever seen a woman driving a 2IS actually... But I don't see very many 2IS out here in general. I do see a lot of women driving BMWs...

If you want to send an email to R&T about the error in their video ("The navigation system can only be purchased with the upgrade audio system, making for a hefty $4000 add-on"), the email is roadandtrack@hfnm.com. FYI the Lexus website clearly lists the navigation system as a $2,550 standalone option (http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html).
Old 12-24-06, 11:29 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Default my letter to R&T editors

Dear Editor:

I was pleased to see the favorable review you gave the 2007 Lexus IS 350
in the video entitled "Japanese sports sedan trifecta" recently posted
on the Road and web site. As an IS 350 owner, I certainly agree with
your positive comments regarding the car's acceleration, interior
design, exterior appearance, and performance characteristics.

However, towards the end of the review, Jim Hall states "The navigation
system can only be purchased with the upgrade audio system, making for a
hefty $4,000 add-on." This is stated to be a "drawback" of the IS 350.
I am writing to let you know that this is quite simply not true. While
you can purchase the navigation system with the Mark Levinson premium
audio system for $3,990, it is also possible to purchase the navigation
system as a stand-alone option for $2,550. This option includes a
backup camera and Bluetooth radio in addition to the navigation system,
but does not include an upgraded audio system. Further information on
options packages for the IS is available on Lexus's web site:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html.

I hope you will be able to correct this inaccuracy before the February
2007 issue of your magazine is published. Thank you for your time, and
I look forward to reading the article when it is published!
Old 12-25-06, 07:00 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by diablo1
Dear Editor:

I was pleased to see the favorable review you gave the 2007 Lexus IS 350
in the video entitled "Japanese sports sedan trifecta" recently posted
on the Road and web site. As an IS 350 owner, I certainly agree with
your positive comments regarding the car's acceleration, interior
design, exterior appearance, and performance characteristics.

However, towards the end of the review, Jim Hall states "The navigation
system can only be purchased with the upgrade audio system, making for a
hefty $4,000 add-on." This is stated to be a "drawback" of the IS 350.
I am writing to let you know that this is quite simply not true. While
you can purchase the navigation system with the Mark Levinson premium
audio system for $3,990, it is also possible to purchase the navigation
system as a stand-alone option for $2,550. This option includes a
backup camera and Bluetooth radio in addition to the navigation system,
but does not include an upgraded audio system. Further information on
options packages for the IS is available on Lexus's web site:
http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html.

I hope you will be able to correct this inaccuracy before the February
2007 issue of your magazine is published. Thank you for your time, and
I look forward to reading the article when it is published!
Nice work! You think there is enough time for them to correct this prior to printing of that issue?
Old 12-25-06, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Wow, big win for the IS.
I wonder if the IS now being able to have VDIM off helped?
Though I am shocked the TL beat the G35.....
Old 12-25-06, 09:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

should also have mentioned to the editor the ML system is probably the best factory offered audio system you can get, he kind of made it sound like a non-worthwhile upgrade
Old 12-25-06, 09:49 AM
LexFather

Lightbulb Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=4444

Wow, didn't see this coming, as the G35 has gotten rave reviews for the price/fun it offers. Also, Sam Mitani has typically NOT liked Lexus cars, so this is even more shocking.

Though the TL finishing AHEAD the G35 is just as shocking as the car is rarely mentioned in most sport/luxury circles.

Grabs popcorn as there is probably a riot going on in the Nissan camp as I type this.
Old 12-25-06, 09:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Belmont
It's hard to believe these cars are running that fast.

I mean, I drive it every day and it doesn't feel that fast.
Key word is feel. Because all Lexus cars are made to be highly refined, the "feel" in a Lexus is deceptive. But even if you don't feel it, the car really is going that fast.
Old 12-25-06, 09:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sincityIS
There isn't anyway in hell this car will do 4.9 0-60. It won't even do a low 5 second run. Whoever says it will is full of something, like drugs. you have to be brain dead to say it is that fast.
And you have to be pretty ignorant to make a statement like that. There are IS350 owners on this forum, that have gotten 1/4 mile runs at 13.5 - 13.7 sec, and 0 - 60 runs at 5.1 - 4.9 sec with the car being bone stock. There are also owners that with minor tuning have gotten 1/4 mile runs at 13.3 and 13.2. And the owners have the time slips to prove it.
Old 12-25-06, 09:55 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

This is certainly possible. The 2GR-FSE has a lot of tuning potential due to it's unique dual fuel injection system as well as Dual VVT-i. Contrary to popular belief, German cars are not the only makes that benefit power-wise from minor ECM tuning.

They could have even kept engine output the same, but tweaked the power and torque curves a bit.
Old 12-25-06, 10:00 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, big win for the IS.
I wonder if the IS now being able to have VDIM off helped?
Though I am shocked the TL beat the G35.....
This is especially surprising, given that Road & Track is a sister publication of C & D. But I guess this shows what you end up with when you have different writers and editors. It's nice to see for a change the IS350 given credit where credit is due.
Old 12-25-06, 10:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I am also a little surprised to see the Type-S ahead of the G35, but haing the IS350 #1 really makes me happy.
Old 12-25-06, 10:36 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

finally the IS wins I think something, over the G but the G is certainly not a bad car, but I would rather have IS, then a TL-S and then a G because for one thing i work for a Infinti dealership and I see the G of course Monday thru Saturday and it gets a little boring to look at after the second day, the TL you see on the road being driven by everyone, but still such an oh so hot car, would love to have one, and the IS i rarely seem but when i see one, its such a head turner for me, looks hot, and freakin road&track clocked the IS to 60 in a freakin 4.9 seconds damn!!! that beats Lexus's own time of what? 5.3?. I need to win the lottery so i can purchase me an IS as a weekend car, the TL-S as a daily car, and the or course keep my 4Runner as a hauler.
Old 12-25-06, 10:43 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Actually it's not a big deal. People already know what they like. There has been some disussion at forums like Freshalloy about the real value of comparisions like these. And this in the wake of a recent Car&Driver comaro which put the 07 base Altima in second place in a field which saw the new Camry land in next to last (perennial C&D favorite Honda Accord won by 4 points over the Altima).

One question is how some magazines can place a car at the top of the heap (Camry being MT's Car of the Year) while another one places it mid pack. In fact, sometimes the same magazine can rate the same car differently in separate issues. Why? Different editors, test driver and apparently, different tastes, and criteria.

It's a dilemma which comes up no matter which car company you favor. It doesn't matter whether you're a Toyota/Lexus fan or a Nissan/Infiniti fan, you're going to ride the same rollercoaster from one magazine to the next. Sometimes it happens that there is unanimous agreement between all the journals (as in the case of the BMW 3) but generally these tests depend on who's doing them and the results can vary dramatically.

For every test the G35 may lose there is another in which it comes out the shining victor (C&D 10 best, Automobile 07 All Star, Forbes, ect). So who do you trust? Yourself. Go see, feel and drive these machines and decide which is best for YOU. Fact is that there are now so many great cars the difference between them is often a matter of personal taste and that is what is showing among the writers of the automotive press.

At the end of the day car reviews are about as valuable as movie reviews. They can give you some impression of the movie but to really know what you've got you need to go see the movie and judge for yourself. The same goes for cars.

Quick Reply: Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)