IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 01:07 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Actually it's not a big deal. People already know what they like. There has been some disussion at forums like Freshalloy about the real value of comparisions like these. And this in the wake of a recent Car&Driver comaro which put the 07 base Altima in second place in a field which saw the new Camry land in next to last (perennial C&D favorite Honda Accord won by 4 points over the Altima).

One question is how some magazines can place a car at the top of the heap (Camry being MT's Car of the Year) while another one places it mid pack. In fact, sometimes the same magazine can rate the same car differently in separate issues. Why? Different editors, test driver and apparently, different tastes, and criteria.

It's a dilemma which comes up no matter which car company you favor. It doesn't matter whether you're a Toyota/Lexus fan or a Nissan/Infiniti fan, you're going to ride the same rollercoaster from one magazine to the next. Sometimes it happens that there is unanimous agreement between all the journals (as in the case of the BMW 3) but generally these tests depend on who's doing them and the results can vary dramatically.

For every test the G35 may lose there is another in which it comes out the shining victor (C&D 10 best, Automobile 07 All Star, Forbes, ect). So who do you trust? Yourself. Go see, feel and drive these machines and decide which is best for YOU. Fact is that there are now so many great cars the difference between them is often a matter of personal taste and that is what is showing among the writers of the automotive press.

At the end of the day car reviews are about as valuable as movie reviews. They can give you some impression of the movie but to really know what you've got you need to go see the movie and judge for yourself. The same goes for cars.
Different mags have different priorities and testing techniques. C&D for instance corrects for altitude and weather, R&T does not. R&T now at least gives you the testing conditions.

C&D wants a "drivers car"
MT - picks their Car of the Year from cars that are new (limiting their choices)
R&T - sort of splits the difference and often does not pick a winner but points out the pros and cons of each car.
Autoweek....

You get the idea.
Old 12-26-06, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I am glad we are "trusting ourselves" when IS350 comes on top, and for every other outcome, we should trust the editors...

:-)

I am just enjoying the fact that IS350 is now proven to be able to take an turn...

p.s. like bean mentioned in another thread, I bet this thread would be 10 pages long if IS350 finished 3rd...
Old 12-26-06, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Hopefully this will squash the criticism that the IS350 cannot handle well, and is only good for straight-line speed. I have said this since the IS350 first came out: with VDIM de-activated, the IS350's true performance potential would be shown, and I was right.
Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. too bad nobody told them IS cant run the curves, LOL. All 3 mentioned how IS had the best chasis and was most fun on mountain roads.

Its uber IS350! LOL.
Originally Posted by spwolf
I am glad we are "trusting ourselves" when IS350 comes on top, and for every other outcome, we should trust the editors...
:-)

I am just enjoying the fact that IS350 is now proven to be able to take an turn...
Enjoy it cheerleaders! The smaller IS beating the G35 sedan and the FWD TL? Best fish in a small pond. Not taking anything away from the win, it *is* the best one of these 3 for fun.

But again, the 800lb gorilla was missing from the event.
Old 12-26-06, 06:49 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

I've driven it and it doesn't suprise me that it does a 4.9 0-60mph and a 13.5 1/4 mile. That 1/4 is right there with the STi/EVO. And the IS is an auto!

Originally Posted by AltezzaBob
and a manual version isnt even out yet. and this is infiniti's revised VQ. dual intake runners like the old VG30's.
When is this manual coming out, I didn't even know they were doing this. This car should be in the low 13s with a manual tranny. Thats crazy!
Old 12-26-06, 07:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The IS350's engine better be damn more refined than the TL-S and the G35's engine. It would be dissappointing for toyota if their new engine isn't as smooth as the 10+ year old J-series and VQ-series.

kudos to Toyota for creating a great engine. Ten years ago, the IS350's speed would be in the sports car territory Now you get it in a form of a family sedan
Old 12-26-06, 08:08 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Enjoy it cheerleaders! The smaller IS beating the G35 sedan and the FWD TL? Best fish in a small pond. Not taking anything away from the win, it *is* the best one of these 3 for fun.

Well, they did qualify it by saying "Japanese Cars". I am sure the 800lb gorilla will be in the comparisons soon enough. Though when that happens odds are the editors will have "lost their minds".
Old 12-26-06, 08:40 PM
Fiko18
Lexus Test Driver

that 800lb gorilla also costs $8,000 more.
Old 12-26-06, 09:09 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fiko18
that 800lb gorilla also costs $8,000 more.
and looks like an 800lb gorilla too...
All the engineering in the world couldnt get me to buy this version of Bangle's work ( stange enough I like the 5 & the 6).

I'd like to see the comparison when the 335 sedan comes out, because according to Inside Line's specs, the coupe weighs more than the IS sedan. Coupes are usually lighter than their sedan counterpart. As long as BMW doesnt send a ringer and Lexus provides a proper IS sport with a VDIM off switch, I cant see that Gorilla beating the IS (barring the usual biased editors ... lol j/k)
Old 12-27-06, 06:55 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Belmont
It's hard to believe these cars are running that fast.

I mean, I drive it every day and it doesn't feel that fast.
Thats because the cabin is quiet and the suspension takes most of the bumps and vibrations away. "Typical Lexus". If you have any friends who own g35's or Z's or 330i's...let them drive the car, and watch the smile on their face...cause the IS350 is quick.
Old 12-27-06, 06:57 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Despite being heavily revised, the 2GR-FSE remains as the better engine compared to the VQ35HR. Ultimately, the VQ is still based on an older design than the 2GR, and the 2GR in this case has the superior dual fuel injection system.

A number of publications have noted the VQ35HR still lacks the refinement of the 2GR-FSE, not to mention the fuel economy.
+1 - I can speak from experience on this. The VQ is not a crap motor by any means, but compared the 2GR-FSE, it's inefficient, unrefined and outdated.
Old 12-27-06, 07:44 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
Hm, I don't know that I've ever seen a woman driving a 2IS actually... But I don't see very many 2IS out here in general. I do see a lot of women driving BMWs...

If you want to send an email to R&T about the error in their video ("The navigation system can only be purchased with the upgrade audio system, making for a hefty $4000 add-on"), the email is roadandtrack@hfnm.com. FYI the Lexus website clearly lists the navigation system as a $2,550 standalone option (http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/pricing.html).
I think you are misinformed. Try and build one on the website. Sure you can order one and wait four months, but for the cars that are coming into to dealers, the NAV is only part of a much more expensive option package - at least here in the midwest. Maybe you can find a zip code where the website will let you build one with just NAV?

Time to re-email R&T.
Old 12-27-06, 07:57 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
Sure you can order one and wait four months, but for the cars that are coming into to dealers, the NAV is only part of a much more expensive option package - at least here in the midwest. Maybe you can find a zip code where the website will let you build one with just NAV?

Time to re-email R&T.
Was that disclaimer in the review? Stating that it's not possible to get a certain configuration at all as opposed to stating that it's not possible to get a certain configuration already sitting at a dealership are two totally different things.
Old 12-27-06, 08:26 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Was that disclaimer in the review? Stating that it's not possible to get a certain configuration at all as opposed to stating that it's not possible to get a certain configuration already sitting at a dealership are two totally different things.
Ok, you go to the Lexus website and "Build" your IS. Find where you can add NAV as a standalone option (hint it MIGHT be possible if you can find the right zip - but I doubt it).

Edit: I found the NAV in 94598 as part of a package that costs only $5,435 (better than the $8K here in the midwest, but still not a stand alone option).

Last edited by doug_999; 12-27-06 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-27-06, 09:16 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ok, you go to the Lexus website and "Build" your IS. Find where you can add NAV as a standalone option (hint it MIGHT be possible if you can find the right zip - but I doubt it).
Sorry, my point was that it can be acquired that way regardless of whether it can be configured as such on the Lexus website. It can be ordered in that configuration, as people on here already have. Hence, the statement that "The navigation system can only be purchased with the upgrade audio system" by R&T is inaccurate.
Old 12-27-06, 10:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Funny you have problems with this comparison, where a Lexus does good, yet have no problems with the horribly flawed C & D luxury sedan comparison, where the LS460L placed last.

Like BMW much

Really, no need to go off topic. Nobody is discussing the 3 Series here. You can make a seperate thread for all the 3 Series lovers on this forum .

The point of discussion was here is yet another review which gives the IS350 the credit it deserves, and this coming from Road & Track of all magazines.

Quick Reply: Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)