IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06 | 10:51 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Ok, you go to the Lexus website and "Build" your IS. Find where you can add NAV as a standalone option (hint it MIGHT be possible if you can find the right zip - but I doubt it).

Edit: I found the NAV in 94598 as part of a package that costs only $5,435 (better than the $8K here in the midwest, but still not a stand alone option).
It's regional allocations. Here in SoCal (90021) I can find several IS250s on the lot with Nav bundled only with the premium pkg (total cost >4k). However, if I wanted ML, I need to bundle it with Nav and Luxury or Sport pkgs . . .
Old 12-27-06 | 10:54 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Amazing the amount of "jumping on and off the train" goes on in regards to [x] publications' reviews. One minute R&T is the "only relevant" magazine - the next it's a sell-out to Lexus.

Quite entertaining actually - and the comparison w/the 335i should be just as interesting.
Old 12-27-06 | 10:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Amazing the amount of "jumping on and off the train" goes on in regards to [x] publications' reviews. One minute R&T is the "only relevant" magazine - the next it's a sell-out to Lexus.

Quite entertaining actually - and the comparison w/the 335i should be just as interesting.
My opinion of R & T as well as C & D remains unchanged. I typically do not like them, and C & D especially has been known to publish many flawed reviews and comparisons. Some of C & D's reviews are downright questionable.

Whether a Lexus wins a review or comparison or not, does not change my opinion of these publications.

I already know what the IS350 is and isn't capable of, and I don't need a magazine to tell me that.
Old 12-27-06 | 11:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Funny you have problems with this comparison, where a Lexus does good, yet have no problems with the horribly flawed C & D luxury sedan comparison, where the LS460L placed last.

Like BMW much

Really, no need to go off topic. Nobody is discussing the 3 Series here. You can make a seperate thread for all the 3 Series lovers on this forum .

The point of discussion was here is yet another review which gives the IS350 the credit it deserves, and this coming from Road & Track of all magazines.
exactly...and uber track times as well, without twin-turbos ;-).
Old 12-27-06 | 11:58 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

To change the subject can anyone verify if the suspensio was changed for 07 or if the improved handling is coming from the VDIM being able to be shutoff. I havent heard anything about suspension but hopefully Lexus upgrades to monotube shocks instead of twin tube.
Old 12-27-06 | 01:03 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

My opinion of R & T as well as C & D remains unchanged. I typically do not like them, and C & D especially has been known to publish many flawed reviews and comparisons. Some of C & D's reviews are downright questionable.

Whether a Lexus wins a review or comparison or not, does not change my opinion of these publications.

I already know what the IS350 is and isn't capable of, and I don't need a magazine to tell me that.
Could not agree more - unfortunately instead of being used for conversation, it's used as ammo. Human nature I guess...

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-27-06 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-27-06 | 01:23 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MLevinson
Could not agree more - unfortunately instead of being used for conversation, it's used as ammo. Human nature I guess...
Same here. I take what those guys say with a big hunk of salt. What bothers me is a lot of people will compare and rate cars solely on what others say, feel, think about it. The forums are a good example of this, when people compare vehicles on the forums they always bring up what this and that magazine said or did, never is it based on data that they have compiled. Show me drag times that you got at the track, show me videos, pictures. Don't show me what other people did..I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm just saying it's coming from a source other than yourself
Old 12-27-06 | 01:28 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
To change the subject can anyone verify if the suspensio was changed for 07 or if the improved handling is coming from the VDIM being able to be shutoff. I havent heard anything about suspension but hopefully Lexus upgrades to monotube shocks instead of twin tube.
What improved handling? The '06 and '07 handle exactly the same.

Yes, the nannies can be switched off more easily on the '07s (a button, rather than a complicated sequence of brake pedal pushes)
Old 12-27-06 | 01:37 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Don't know about improved handling but the '07 shocks are different from '06's. Plus, the VSC kill switch could make a world of difference.
Old 12-27-06 | 02:24 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Don't know about improved handling but the '07 shocks are different from '06's. Plus, the VSC kill switch could make a world of difference.
Whats different about the shocks have they finally gone monotube.
Old 12-27-06 | 03:08 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Flawed comparisons? Flawed because you don't agree with them? C&D has always been truthful in admitting they like a car that appeals to the "driver" - thus their name - Car and DRIVER. You may not be interested in how a car "drives" and thus C&D probably does not appeal to you - no problem, but don't call their reviews flawed.
Old 12-27-06 | 03:10 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Same here. I take what those guys say with a big hunk of salt. What bothers me is a lot of people will compare and rate cars solely on what others say, feel, think about it. The forums are a good example of this, when people compare vehicles on the forums they always bring up what this and that magazine said or did, never is it based on data that they have compiled. Show me drag times that you got at the track, show me videos, pictures. Don't show me what other people did..I'm not saying they're right or wrong, I'm just saying it's coming from a source other than yourself
The most important opinion should be your own - no one else is making the monthly payments. I think what you find [especially on forums] is that some people need smoke-blown-up-their-butt to feel good about what they purchased; so they ban together and create walls around themselves [forums]. Others are just enthusiasts and like a good conversation about the ISX50.

Every car has +/- and every car is going to be either a winner or looser in comparison tests. Why not discuss the results w/facts instead of sniping...?

IE:
- Why is it impossible to believe that R&T made a 4.9 0-60…? The T/W ratio of the IS350 is correct to [theoretically] achieve this.

- Why is hard to believe that the IS350 handles well especially w/the nannies turned off..? The IS350 sure has all the right suspension components to do so.

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-27-06 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-27-06 | 04:40 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
Whats different about the shocks have they finally gone monotube.
Don't know what the differences are, physically, but the part numbers are different.
Old 12-27-06 | 05:11 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

I'm going for some midnight dyno runs in the next few weeks with some of the BMW guys from DTM power... I'll let you know how my stock 07 IS350 does...
Old 12-27-06 | 11:58 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
Flawed comparisons? Flawed because you don't agree with them? C&D has always been truthful in admitting they like a car that appeals to the "driver" - thus their name - Car and DRIVER. You may not be interested in how a car "drives" and thus C&D probably does not appeal to you - no problem, but don't call their reviews flawed.
Flawed - in a word, YES. Case in point, look at C&D's Oct 2005 sports sedan comparison where they proclaim the 330i 1st over the IS350 and the rest of the field. The Bmw's ABS failed during testing so they couldn't complete the braking segment, rather than get another test car or have the ABS fixed, C&D 'chose' to use the results from an earlier road test (Flaw). But the kicker is the score tabulation. If you do the math and add the 330i's scores, it actually ties the IS350, whereas C&D has the 330i winning by a single point (Obvious Flaw). C&D's bias is so embarrassingly obvious, how can they expect any car enthusiast to take their comparisons or opinions seriously . . .