IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 05:55 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Flawed - in a word, YES. Case in point, look at C&D's Oct 2005 sports sedan comparison where they proclaim the 330i 1st over the IS350 and the rest of the field. The Bmw's ABS failed during testing so they couldn't complete the braking segment, rather than get another test car or have the ABS fixed, C&D 'chose' to use the results from an earlier road test (Flaw). But the kicker is the score tabulation. If you do the math and add the 330i's scores, it actually ties the IS350, whereas C&D has the 330i winning by a single point (Obvious Flaw). C&D's bias is so embarrassingly obvious, how can they expect any car enthusiast to take their comparisons or opinions seriously . . .
Well do you honestly think that the 330 would have different braking distances?

With regards to the point tally, if you subscribed to C&D you would know that they explained the scores are rounded for each category but are combined for the total and then rounded up - so yes, the Lexus was a point behind. Sorry.
Old 12-28-06, 08:31 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Sorry, my point was that it can be acquired that way regardless of whether it can be configured as such on the Lexus website. It can be ordered in that configuration, as people on here already have. Hence, the statement that "The navigation system can only be purchased with the upgrade audio system" by R&T is inaccurate.
+1 thanks for defending my statement. Maybe in the full review they will say something like "It's hard to get a navigation system without paying extra for other expensive packages and options, unless you want to do a special order from the factory." That would be fine. But people should know that the navigation IS available as a stand-alone option if you really want it.

Also, the review stated that the nav can only be purchased with the ML audio system, which is not true if you type in my zip code (10012). None of the packages in that zip have the ML audio, and all of them have the navigation. So even in terms of dealership availability, R&D's statement was just plain wrong, and I firmly stand by my letter to their editor.
Old 12-28-06, 09:10 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by diablo1
+1 thanks for defending my statement. Maybe in the full review they will say something like "It's hard to get a navigation system without paying extra for other expensive packages and options, unless you want to do a special order from the factory." That would be fine. But people should know that the navigation IS available as a stand-alone option if you really want it.

Also, the review stated that the nav can only be purchased with the ML audio system, which is not true if you type in my zip code (10012). None of the packages in that zip have the ML audio, and all of them have the navigation. So even in terms of dealership availability, R&D's statement was just plain wrong, and I firmly stand by my letter to their editor.
Well I hate to tell you this, but the magazine won't be changed - it is already in print. But seriously, do you really think this "mistake" will change the mind of anyone considering purchasing the car?
Old 12-28-06, 09:23 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Well I hate to tell you this, but the magazine won't be changed - it is already in print. But seriously, do you really think this "mistake" will change the mind of anyone considering purchasing the car?
A couple $K is a couple $K, IMHO. Many people like to be able to pick the options as a' la carte as possible and may get turned off by the 'bundling' of them.
Old 12-28-06, 09:50 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Many people like to be able to pick the options as a' la carte as possible and may get turned off by the 'bundling' of them.
I think their policy of only allocating a few specific option configurations for each geographic region is a terrible policy, and they deserved to get dinged for it.

The fact that you can't buy an IS with Mark Levinson in the Northeast without doing a special order is nothing short of insanity.
Old 12-28-06, 10:22 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't it the Feb 07 issue? How do you know they're printing it already?

I don't know if the mistake (and you don't need to put it in quotes, because it is an actual mistake) will change anyone's mind, but I hate to see inaccurate reporting. Maybe they made that mistake in the video only but not the article. We shall see...
Old 12-28-06, 10:36 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Well do you honestly think that the 330 would have different braking distances?

With regards to the point tally, if you subscribed to C&D you would know that they explained the scores are rounded for each category but are combined for the total and then rounded up - so yes, the Lexus was a point behind. Sorry.
Yes, I subscribe to C&D. Yes, I understand the concept of rounding. Still, should they choose to round the total, then make the math work. Simple accounting 101: 1+1 = 2, 1+1 <=> 3, 1+2 = 3 (my 4yr old understands this)

I do honestly think that the braking distances can be different. Was the earlier 330i a manual or auto (weight will affect distances) ? Was the earlier 330i a sports pkg with the 18" HP summer tires ? Was the weather and track conditions identical to that on the day of the sedan comparison test ? Do YOU honestly think that this was a true apples-apples application ???

No need to be sorry, I refuse to drink the C&D koolaid, but apparently it doesn't bother you.
Old 12-28-06, 11:34 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
A couple $K is a couple $K, IMHO. Many people like to be able to pick the options as a' la carte as possible and may get turned off by the 'bundling' of them.
Tell that to Lexus not me

Originally Posted by diablo1
Isn't it the Feb 07 issue? How do you know they're printing it already?

I don't know if the mistake (and you don't need to put it in quotes, because it is an actual mistake) will change anyone's mind, but I hate to see inaccurate reporting. Maybe they made that mistake in the video only but not the article. We shall see...
Cause the Feb mag should hit my house today or tomorrow (C&D is usually a day or two before or after R&T and my Feb C&D arrived yesterday. They print these things way early.

Yes, I subscribe to C&D. Yes, I understand the concept of rounding. Still, should they choose to round the total, then make the math work. Simple accounting 101: 1+1 = 2, 1+1 <=> 3, 1+2 = 3 (my 4yr old understands this)

I do honestly think that the braking distances can be different. Was the earlier 330i a manual or auto (weight will affect distances) ? Was the earlier 330i a sports pkg with the 18" HP summer tires ? Was the weather and track conditions identical to that on the day of the sedan comparison test ? Do YOU honestly think that this was a true apples-apples application ???

No need to be sorry, I refuse to drink the C&D koolaid, but apparently it doesn't bother you.
So you would rather have an innacurate tie?

How's the Lexus koolaid son?

Old 12-28-06, 11:40 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell that to Lexus not me
You're the one that posed the question. Sheesh
Old 12-28-06, 11:49 AM
uthatch
Driver

You're right, the mag won't be changed and the mistake probably won't cost Lexus any sales. But the FACT is that the magazine is wrong. There was a mistake made. It is simply a perfect example of the media not really caring if they get the facts correct.
Old 12-28-06, 11:49 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

So you would rather have an innacurate tie?

How's the Lexus koolaid son?

"Lexus Koolaid"...? This is only a review that is akin to any other review I've seen/read - nothing to snip over unless you feel R&T was incorrect giving the IS350 1st place because of this error.

Last edited by MLevinson; 12-28-06 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-28-06, 01:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MLevinson
"Lexus Koolaid"...? This is only a review that is akin to any other review I've seen/read - nothing to snip over unless you feel R&T was incorrect giving the IS350 1st place because of this error.
The comment was in reference to the jumping up and down everyone did because the IS lost to the 330 in the C&D comparo.
Old 12-28-06, 02:15 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

The comment was in reference to the jumping up and down everyone did because the IS lost to the 330 in the C&D comparo.
Well, I'm not a member of the 'jumping up & down' crowd, I was merely replying to your post where you defended C&D saying their reviews are never flawed. In my book, if a test car's ABS FAILS and the editors gloss over this major safety issue as if it never happened and substitutes the results from a prior test of a similar model car, that review/comparison is flawed. I'm not displeased that the IS finished 2nd in the comparo, do a search, I've never posted a negative comment on the 3 series, G35, TL, etc. The way you defend C&D, I'd think your name was Petersen or something . . .
Old 12-28-06, 02:33 PM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Hmmm, must have missed that obviously - never mind

In any event, all the comparisons will not change my mind about the IS350 - it's one of the best in this class by far and I should have purchased it long ago. Although is nice to see it stepping over the others
Old 12-28-06, 03:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well, I'm not a member of the 'jumping up & down' crowd, I was merely replying to your post where you defended C&D saying their reviews are never flawed. In my book, if a test car's ABS FAILS and the editors gloss over this major safety issue as if it never happened and substitutes the results from a prior test of a similar model car, that review/comparison is flawed. I'm not displeased that the IS finished 2nd in the comparo, do a search, I've never posted a negative comment on the 3 series, G35, TL, etc. The way you defend C&D, I'd think your name was Petersen or something . . .
Well every mag makes mistakes - but the belief here on CL that C&D is flawed and "out to get Lexus" just amazes me. I honestly wonder if this "belief" would exist if Lexus won the comparos?

As far as the ABS failing - they have three choices
1) use #s from a previous test
2) wait until they get the car fixed
3) remove the car from the test

#2 is not a choice because they have a deadline
#3 is not a choice cause you kill the comparo without it

So they did#1 - flawed? I still don't see it. But like I said, had the IS won, maybe this wouldn't have been an issue with the people here.

Quick Reply: Road&Track:1. IS 350 2. TL Type-S 3. G35 Sport (merged threads)