IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Shave emblem or not to shave?
Shave!
31.97%
Dont Shave!
68.03%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

to take off emblems or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 10:47 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghart
let me try to rephrase this... debadging the "LEXUS" text and the IS250/350 text only... will it still leave holes or are the holes only on the center Lexus (L) emblem? i mean if its cheap to just shave, ill shave but if its going to leave holes i wont think twice and leave it. btw.. i really like that stock oem spoiler in the picture above
Yes, removing just the Lexus and ISx50 badges will leave holes.
Old 12-27-06, 03:10 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Too much time? go volunteer or somethin'

I would never do this...does not make sense...but to each is own.

Could understand if one had a 250...ponies are a virtue.

Go ahead and put you and ISF sticker back there. That will look really clean.
Old 12-27-06, 07:43 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’m not a fan of debadging. It often sends the wrong message. For example, if I saw an IS with the numbers off I would think it’s a 250 and the owner is trying to make everyone think it’s a 350.
YUP!! hahahaha!!
Old 12-27-06, 11:05 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Yes, removing just the Lexus and ISx50 badges will leave holes.
oh well i got my answer. NOT TO DEBADGE! hehe
Old 12-28-06, 08:46 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if you must tamper with things just to be unique, why not just rearrange the Lexus letters to read S U X L E ? This shows who you are and it won’t leave any holes.
Old 12-28-06, 09:51 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

I’m not a fan of debadging. It often sends the wrong message. For example, if I saw an IS with the numbers off I would think it’s a 250 and the owner is trying to make everyone think it’s a 350.
I hate that everyone assumes that if you have a 250 you wish you had a 350. It's simply not true.
Old 12-28-06, 10:35 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
I hate that everyone assumes that if you have a 250 you wish you had a 350. It's simply not true.
Of course it’s not true. But it would be logical; to me at least, that if someone removed their 2IS numbers he may feel that way.

I mean I knew a guy who ran his engine an extra 10 seconds before shutting down to make others think he had a turbo under the hood.
Old 12-30-06, 02:11 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BottomsUp

yah i got the 250 cause well, i didnt feel comfortable spending that little more for 100 more ponies. i can save that money for a nice kit and wheels or something one day. i dont really have a need for speed... i already have a sportbike for that. but much love to all IS models... they are beautiful
Old 01-23-07, 01:41 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

man, this is BAD news... what a bummer. Debadging a car is the quickest way to add such a look of class and sleekness. Here's a perfect example. My G35 was a damn billboard when I first got it:

After debadging:

You can't imagine how many people commented "MAN that thing looks so much better without all the crap on the back". In the front, where removing the badge would leave huge hole, I color-coded it to again improve the "clean" appearance of the car:

Any extra clutter just makes the car look like crap. We're not talking about pickup trucks here, these newer IS's have gorgeous bodies on them and it sucks to distract your eyes with all these words. The Lexus "L" is fine, but I don't need the word Lexus spelled out as well along with the model number. Why not badge the options too? There's still a little unused paint back there. I think we could fit a "Navigation" badge and a "Parking Assist" badge, right??

Damn!! Looking to buy a 250 for my wife, and I'm very bummed about this (although she probably wouldn't care one bit either way ). Sorry for the rant...
Old 01-23-07, 02:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxberry
I like the emblems...not big fan of de-badging, myself.

+1

maybe if it was a Hyundai I'd debadge it....but geez.
Old 01-23-07, 02:56 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

2JZfan,
If you’re such a zealot for debadging your coupe, why not complete the job:

• Remove the Infiniti emblem from the steering wheel.
• Replace the seat backs with a plain pair.
• Replace the analog clock.
• Replace the kick panels that say Infiniti.
• Remove or paint over the engine cover logo.
• Black out or scrape off the Infiniti logo on your keys.
• Replace the front carpeting with a plain pair (Pep Boys has them).
• Do the same for the trunk carpet.
• Take out you owner’s manual and black out the word Infiniti with a felt pen on every page and insert “generic.”

That should do it.

Last edited by Magellan; 01-23-07 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 03:37 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

2JZfan -
I agree that the second pic of the G35 looks better with no badges. But, part of the reason is that the wheels were also changed. Much nicer wheels, IMO. I'm not sure if the IS would look better, or not. To me, it doesn't in the pics I've seen, so far.
Old 01-23-07, 06:20 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

2JZfan,
If you’re such a zealot for debadging your coupe, why not complete the job:

• Remove the Infiniti emblem from the steering wheel.
• Replace the seat backs with a plain pair.
• Replace the analog clock.
• Replace the kick panels that say Infiniti.
• Remove or paint over the engine cover logo.
• Black out or scrape off the Infiniti logo on your keys.
• Replace the front carpeting with a plain pair (Pep Boys has them).
• Do the same for the trunk carpet.
• Take out you owner’s manual and black out the word Infiniti with a felt pen on every page and insert “generic.”

That should do it.
Yeah, good ideas. Those things are all very distracting when viewing the OUTSIDE of the car! It's not a matter of being ashamed of who made the car and wanting to hide that fact, it's more a question of "we already know it's a lexus, so why litter up the real estate with a bunch of advertising?" Anybody that wouldn't know what your car is without being able to read the badges obviously isn't a car enthusiast to begin with. They probably think it's a camry. To each his own I suppose, some people just like superfluous crap. In the end, that's my real source of disappointment. Lexus basically removed the freedom of choice on this one. It's not like I'm arguing that they should come from the factory with no badges, I'm just saying why not make them stick-on so they can be removed without need of paint and body work? I cringe at any holes in body panels anyway, its just that much more likely of a place for corrosion to form. Are we to believe that the badges cannot be aligned any other way? Or that the posts are needed to hold up the immense weight of the badge? Surely not. They just want to make it that much harder to undo their branding of your vehicle.
Old 01-23-07, 09:14 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

if the emblems are glued on i would debadge. if the emblems leave holes i wouldn't mess with it.
Old 01-23-07, 09:20 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AM1
if the emblems are glued on i would debadge. if the emblems leave holes i wouldn't mess with it.
damn good point because once i found out it left holes i was like heck no. but i aint going to lie... my last three cars have been debadged and it wasnt about hiding that fact they were accord, civic, prelude... it just looked better since i did mod them with rims, kits, etc. etc. it was just one more thing to do to make it more "clean" lookin. until i find a sponsorship to fill in the holes, ill leave and sport my proud IS250 badge, facing the world, chin up! =)

Quick Reply: to take off emblems or not to?