IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Shave emblem or not to shave?
Shave!
31.97%
Dont Shave!
68.03%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

to take off emblems or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 02:21 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no way! keep them on your IS... if you shave it...the IS looks like one of those korean car... IMO
Old 01-24-07, 02:36 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to debadge my cars if I can. On my wifes RX330 I took the Lexus and RX330 badges off pretty much the first day. I would have removed the rear L symbol as well but it is indented and has pin holes. On some of my other cars I debadged and actually had the holes left welded in and repainted the entire trunk lid. I just like it better that way. I just don't like emblems on my cars.
Old 01-24-07, 06:48 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When did they start putting holes behind the lettering?Lexus has never done that on any late model cars.ie.(is300 rx300.)I was going to do mine but now,I don`t know.was not planing on holes ,just thought it would be like my old is300.no holes.I`d like to here from any one who has done this on a 350 please. with pics of the holes if possble.
Old 01-24-07, 08:41 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making assumptions...

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’m not a fan of debadging. It often sends the wrong message. For example, if I saw an IS with the numbers off I would think it’s a 250 and the owner is trying to make everyone think it’s a 350.
That simply aren't true in all cases. A lot of us think the look is much cleaner. I debadged my GX 470. I've previously posted that I've seen an American Century money manager in our office complex with a brand new BMW 760LI debadged. He's not trying to fool anyone, just wanted the look.

One of my colleagues has an Mercedes AMG, and debaged that bad boy. To each his own.
Old 01-24-07, 08:43 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default From a 250 owner

Originally Posted by sirCharles
I would never do this...does not make sense...but to each is own.

Could understand if one had a 250...ponies are a virtue.

Go ahead and put you and ISF sticker back there. That will look really clean.
AWD in midwest winters is a virtue also.
Old 01-24-07, 09:16 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

shave it, but make sure to patch those holes up. Don't use the plug though. I suggest bring it to the shop to patch those holes.
Old 01-24-07, 10:22 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I understand that some of you believe both the G35 and IS look better debadged. It’s a matter of personal taste, and you’re certainly entitled to it.

But I don’t. I believe it takes away from the expressed identification of a quality automobile. The car doesn’t look better to me; it looks erased, bland and lacking recognition. After all, car badging goes back almost 100 years, and if you own a admirable car, you should be proud to display its name and model. It’s a tradition, especially if the car becomes collectable, let’s say, 50 years from now (I used to own a car-show collectable 1951 Pontiac. I would no more take off a badge than paint it with pink polka dots.).

To make an analogy here, and I know it’s a stretch, suppose you became rich enough to purchase the Mona Lisa. Would you scrape off Da Vinci’s signature because you think the painting looks better without it?
Old 01-24-07, 11:22 AM
aira
Pole Position

I want to shave mine.
Old 01-24-07, 12:22 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

this is an awesome debate... a lot of mixed opinions... well... more so towards not debadging but the ppl that do debadge have pretty good reasons why they do it, cause it makes the car look cleaner. i just got scared when i heard it leaves behind little holes or dimples or whatever. but there really arent any pictures available to show us just how big the holes really are and how nasty it looks if you dont get a body shop to fill them in
Old 01-24-07, 01:19 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

who has debadged speak up HOLES OR NO HOLES?
Old 01-24-07, 01:21 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

i dont understand whats wrong with debading? i mean concept cars dont have any badges except the maker and it looks great. its clean. take europe for example, almost ALL bmws come debadged from the factory!
Old 01-24-07, 01:35 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gshb
i dont understand whats wrong with debading? i mean concept cars dont have any badges except the maker and it looks great. its clean. take europe for example, almost ALL bmws come debadged from the factory!
good point. yah im just waiting for someone to tell me/show me the sizes of these so-called holes that are there once you debadge the TEXT emblems on the IS250/350's i mean if it doesnt leave that noticeable of holes ill debadge since its a tradition with all my cars ive owned and fixed up.
Old 01-24-07, 01:50 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gshb
I think you do understand. You just disagree. That’s OK, but you’re wrong about concept cars not having badges except for the maker. These photos below clearly show the Infiniti logo:
G35 Coupe Concept
And I believe the only reason the "G35" badge is missing is because they're still not sure what to call it (It could turn out to be a G36 or G37).
Old 01-24-07, 01:57 PM
Revman
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to **** a lot of people off, but what the hell. My rules are: 1) If you are embarassed by what you drive, shave. 2) If you are embarassed by what you drive, and you have to shave, you are stupid for buying what you bought. Commence flaming--if you are going to bring it, bring it large!

Revman
Old 01-24-07, 04:00 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
To make an analogy here, and I know it’s a stretch, suppose you became rich enough to purchase the Mona Lisa. Would you scrape off Da Vinci’s signature because you think the painting looks better without it?
That is a real tough analogy If I bought a Mona Lisa it would be because it was a Mona Lisa and for its value. To me, the painting itself is kind of ugly. I mean Mona Lisa isn't the prettiest girl around. Now, when I buy a car, I buy that particular car because I like what that car offers, and not because of the brand. I'm personally a car fan and not a manufacturer fan. Usually I don't want people to identify my car as a Lexus, or a Honda. I just want them to see a nice car. The only exception is I swapped the Acura badges off my NSX and put Honda badges on it simply as a testimonial to Soichiro Honda and his dream and because Ayrton Senna drove for Honda and helped develop the car. Other than that, I could care less who makes the car as long as it is a good car and offers me what I want. I love it when people come up to me and say "Wow, that is a beautiful car, what kind of car is that?" For me, that removes the brand snob appeal that many have. But like you said, to each their own.

Quick Reply: to take off emblems or not to?