IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Shave emblem or not to shave?
Shave!
31.97%
Dont Shave!
68.03%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

to take off emblems or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 04:23 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is a real tough analogy If I bought a Mona Lisa it would be because it was a Mona Lisa and for its value. To me, the painting itself is kind of ugly. I mean Mona Lisa isn't the prettiest girl around.
Wow, I had a hard time getting past “the painting itself is kind of ugly.” It’s recognized as one of the most beautiful, mysterious works of art in the whole world. Your taste is definitely unique.

I’m more of a traditionalist. The story of the new Rolls-Royce comes to mind. I read that so many people were stealing the famous Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament that in the new models the ornament actually disappears under the hood whenever the doors are locked. Now they could have easily just dropped the device altogether as most modern cars now do. But, in the interest of tradition they kept it.

Somehow this has a bearing on what I was saying.
Old 01-24-07, 04:32 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Wow, I had a hard time getting past “the painting itself is kind of ugly.” It’s recognized as one of the most beautiful, mysterious works of art in the whole world. Your taste is definitely unique.

I’m more of a traditionalist. The story of the new Rolls-Royce comes to mind. I read that so many people were stealing the famous Spirit of Ecstasy hood ornament that in the new models the ornament actually disappears under the hood whenever the doors are locked. Now they could have easily just dropped the device altogether as most modern cars now do. But, in the interest of tradition they kept it.

Somehow this has a bearing on what I was saying.
I am definitely a unique personality I'm one of those that have no real culture. I mean, I'm half Japanese and half Chinese, but I'm 4th generation born in the US in Hawaii. I don't hold to any of my cultures. I'm the type that creates my own. I just consider myself an American who raises his family they according to my own beliefs. I admire art for what it is, but I don't consider all art beautiful in my eyes. I just take it for what it is. I was fortunate enough to see the Mona Lisa in person back in 1988. Sure, it is a very interesting painting full of great history, but it is just a painting too me. I'm not sentimental in that way. Just like a car is just a car even if it is an Enzo. I admire them, but don't worship them
Old 01-24-07, 05:26 PM
racinghart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to remember... its not all ppl who shave are embarrassed of what they drive. maybe some but not ALL.

well i dunno.. i like it clean... here is a picture of my candy orange prelude from way back when i had it...

see how my buddies white preldue still says prelude and mine doesnt... i made sure when they paitned my car over not to put the prelude text back on... it looked really clean that way! just my 2 cents. some ppl do it cause they like it clean and mod there cars on purpose. when i get my IS-F im going to shave it... well that is of course if it doesnt leave holes. as a matter of fact... im going to make a decal once i shave my car... its going to say "I shaved my emblems cause im embarrased of my car. Thank you. Come again."
Old 01-24-07, 05:40 PM
2JZfan
Rookie

Interesting points from the other side. I think what it comes down to is this: for people that love the debadged look it seems crazy to actually like the way the badges look. For those that like the badges themselves, they think we are crazy for wanting to remove them. Some people think window tint makes a car look sleek, others think it looks "cheap". And the list goes on. That's what is great about being an enthusiast, 100 of us can start off with the exact same car and end up personalizing it 100 different ways. Again, the only thing that really pisses me off here is that Lexus is putting a huge roadblock up for those of us that want to take a particular path.

ps. You couldn't pay me to date a woman that looks like Mona Lisa, so I'd say that while your analogy is relevant, it really proves both sides - everybody has a different opinion!
Old 01-24-07, 06:59 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Well, I agree I’m coming from a different prospective. Let me bore you with the details.

I mentioned before about my old ’51 Pontiac, complete with a working lighted hood ornament. At the time I belonged to a few clubs and we had sponsored shows where the cars were judged. The name of the game was to show a car perfectly stock. I mean perfect, nothing that wasn’t original or available as a dealer installed option (or missing) could be on this car, down to the color of the engine block, OEM hubcaps and the brand of spark plugs (AC’s).

However, when I bought my car in 1977, it had been damaged by the previous owner and he had put a replacement grill on it. The 1951 and 1952 grills were almost identical except for a distinctive red medallion in the center of the grill with a profile of an Indian chief. My medallion had a gold profile. It was pointed out to me by fellow club purists that it was from a 1952 Pontiac because in 1951, and only in 1951, the medallion was silver, because it was the 25th (silver) anniversary of the first Pontiac in 1926. To keep face with my fellow club members I had to find a silver medallion as I continued to restore the car. Here I was, in 1982 looking for that one item unique to that one make for only that one year that’s over 30 years old.

Well, it took me over two years of searching but I finally found one at an auto swap meet. It was almost brand new. After I put it on, the car was fully restored. I even had the clock working. I entered it in a CHVA (Contemporary Historical Vehicle Association) show in Burbank. The guys with their clip boards looked it over very closely. Alas, I won first prize in my category. I still have my prize (a CHVA inscribed coffee mug) on my mantel.

Debadging? To me and my old car buddies, who want these cars to look completely original in a historical sense, it would be a sin.
Old 01-25-07, 01:05 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
Debadging? To me and my old car buddies, who want these cars to look completely original in a historical sense, it would be a sin.
I agree with you on that point. I mean, classic cars are different. There are two routes to go with classics cars and I like and appreciate both ways. One is the complete all original. This way is the purest way and is worth the big dollars. There is also the classic hot rod way. Far from original, but I appreciate the workmanship and vision of the builder. If we are talking about classic cars, or even just simple value appreciation or depreciation I can see where emblems and badges can make a difference. However, we are talking about every day cars which have virtually no chance of becoming collector classics in the future.
Old 01-25-07, 11:33 AM
racinghart
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I agree with you on that point. I mean, classic cars are different. There are two routes to go with classics cars and I like and appreciate both ways. One is the complete all original. This way is the purest way and is worth the big dollars. There is also the classic hot rod way. Far from original, but I appreciate the workmanship and vision of the builder. If we are talking about classic cars, or even just simple value appreciation or depreciation I can see where emblems and badges can make a difference. However, we are talking about every day cars which have virtually no chance of becoming collector classics in the future.
+1

thats true... the IS250/350 will never be a "classic" car. its just a totally different class of automobile. i dunno... i might jsut try to end up shaving my badges... getting it touched up at a bodyshop the right way and post some pics and let others decide if they wish to "personalize" their cars as i did.
Old 01-25-07, 01:02 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Keep in mind that one never knows what cars will become collectable until many years later. Here are some sleepers, that at the time they were first sold, were never considered to be anything special:

• 1964 Mustang
• 1957 Chevrolet Bel-air
• 1963-65 Buick Riviera
• 1955-57 Ford Thunderbird
• 1948 Chrysler Town & Country (wood trimmed coupe)
• The last Studebakers, Hudsons, LaSalles, DeSotos and Packards (and maybe Oldsmobiles?)
• Any Corvette up to around 1968
• Any of the ‘70’s muscle cars, e.g., Dodge Charger, Pontiac GTO
• Any ‘49 to ‘56 Cadillac convertible with fins (great for parades)

I’m sure there’s more.
Old 01-27-07, 03:21 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I got the black pearl emblems and filled the holes on my car...

I have the black pearl "IS350" and "Lexus" for sale. Woo Hoo!
Old 01-27-07, 11:27 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mattssi
I got the black pearl emblems and filled the holes on my car...

I have the black pearl "IS350" and "Lexus" for sale. Woo Hoo!
how much did it cost to fill in the holes?
Old 01-28-07, 12:45 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

I'm not sure to be honest... I had the dealership do it when they jacked up my spoiler install and had to repaint my trunk lid.
Old 01-28-07, 04:49 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I would have to say shave it if theres a nice kit and rims etc...etc...Other than that, if its stock I would say leave it.
Old 06-03-07, 02:39 PM
Old Oiler
Pole Position

Leave it as is, who cares if it's an IS250 or IS350? It's a Lexus! Anyway there's going to be the IS-F, so us 350 people are going to "have less" too.

Like I said, It's a Lexus.

Old Oiler
Old 06-03-07, 02:51 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder how a SGM ISx50 looks with black emblems
Old 06-03-07, 03:20 PM
LexIS250SS
Pole Position

I shaved the "IS250" on my car. i couldnt be happier. I will try to post pics later..

Quick Reply: to take off emblems or not to?