IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Shave emblem or not to shave?
Shave!
31.97%
Dont Shave!
68.03%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

to take off emblems or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 08:10 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it all depends on how many mods you have to look good.
Old 06-03-07, 08:14 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

my cars stock but the emblems are shaved.. YES theres holes and NO it doesnt look that good but pretty decent.. dont do it unless you were modding your car which im going to do! and again its not cause i have a 250 i took it off.. debadging just gives it a nicer cleaner look especially when you got the kit rims and a spoiler is a +++

Old 06-04-07, 01:56 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magellan
Well, I agree I’m coming from a different prospective. Let me bore you with the details.

I mentioned before about my old ’51 Pontiac, complete with a working lighted hood ornament. At the time I belonged to a few clubs and we had sponsored shows where the cars were judged. The name of the game was to show a car perfectly stock. I mean perfect, nothing that wasn’t original or available as a dealer installed option (or missing) could be on this car, down to the color of the engine block, OEM hubcaps and the brand of spark plugs (AC’s).

However, when I bought my car in 1977, it had been damaged by the previous owner and he had put a replacement grill on it. The 1951 and 1952 grills were almost identical except for a distinctive red medallion in the center of the grill with a profile of an Indian chief. My medallion had a gold profile. It was pointed out to me by fellow club purists that it was from a 1952 Pontiac because in 1951, and only in 1951, the medallion was silver, because it was the 25th (silver) anniversary of the first Pontiac in 1926. To keep face with my fellow club members I had to find a silver medallion as I continued to restore the car. Here I was, in 1982 looking for that one item unique to that one make for only that one year that’s over 30 years old.

Well, it took me over two years of searching but I finally found one at an auto swap meet. It was almost brand new. After I put it on, the car was fully restored. I even had the clock working. I entered it in a CHVA (Contemporary Historical Vehicle Association) show in Burbank. The guys with their clip boards looked it over very closely. Alas, I won first prize in my category. I still have my prize (a CHVA inscribed coffee mug) on my mantel.

Debadging? To me and my old car buddies, who want these cars to look completely original in a historical sense, it would be a sin.
O.K Magellan so you got yourself a little "tralior queen" that you waited 2 years for an emblem/badge for. It's no wonder your soooo opinionated on the subject. You mentioned factory stock and OEM this and that but when you had your paint/body guy spray your car did you go with enamal paint or 3 coats of base and 6 of clear buffed to perfection? Cars of the 50's had thin paint in areas even paint runs were common so much so judges don't deduct points for them. Were all your engine parts painted with the factory correct black gloss because "it would be a sin" not to right? I know guys that are into this factory correct thing to the max.

To debadge or not is a personal choice.

Lucky for you because you own a numbers matching 06 Lexus come 50 years when it is time for its restoration you won't need to track down a shark fin for it.
Old 06-04-07, 02:00 PM
djgtek
Driver School Candidate

keep them!
Old 06-04-07, 02:34 PM
FlipZ
Rookie

That's one MASSIVE signature... lol

I like the debadged look. I say go for it
Old 06-04-07, 09:34 PM
is_elf
Driver

Leave them...it looks naked without
Old 06-05-07, 08:41 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rs/ss
O.K Magellan so you got yourself a little "tralior queen" that you waited 2 years for an emblem/badge for. It's no wonder your soooo opinionated on the subject. You mentioned factory stock and OEM this and that but when you had your paint/body guy spray your car did you go with enamal paint or 3 coats of base and 6 of clear buffed to perfection? Cars of the 50's had thin paint in areas even paint runs were common so much so judges don't deduct points for them. Were all your engine parts painted with the factory correct black gloss because "it would be a sin" not to right? I know guys that are into this factory correct thing to the max.

To debadge or not is a personal choice.

Lucky for you because you own a numbers matching 06 Lexus come 50 years when it is time for its restoration you won't need to track down a shark fin for it.
Without being as nasty as you sounded, other than the multiple coats of enamel, yes, that’s how the car was restored. I used original Pontiac enamel that my body shop had found. Furthermore, all engine parts were painted with the correct color. The block was light green from a can of authentic Pontiac engine paint I purchased at an auto swap meet. The only item that was not original was the fabric used to redo the interior. I matched it as close as possible, but OEM cloth just didn’t exist anymore.

And when someone restores my IS250 50 years from now they won’t have to search for a shark fin because my ’06 didn’t come with one. But they won’t have to search for its badges as they will still be on the car.
Old 06-05-07, 10:11 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Magellan
2JZfan,
If you’re such a zealot for debadging your coupe, why not complete the job:

• Remove the Infiniti emblem from the steering wheel.
• Replace the seat backs with a plain pair.
• Replace the analog clock.
• Replace the kick panels that say Infiniti.
• Remove or paint over the engine cover logo.
• Black out or scrape off the Infiniti logo on your keys.
• Replace the front carpeting with a plain pair (Pep Boys has them).
• Do the same for the trunk carpet.
• Take out you owner’s manual and black out the word Infiniti with a felt pen on every page and insert “generic.”

That should do it.
Name calling ie. "zealot" and sarcasm. And I'm the "nasty" one???

I've gone to 2 body shops now and have been quoted about $500.00 at each to debadge our Starfire Pearl IS350. Still seems high but I guess that's because I'm not in the paint/body business.
Old 06-05-07, 01:04 PM
dspIS250
Pole Position

leave shaving badges for the ricers. the same inexpensive "mods" that are done on cheap tuner cars should not be applied to a luxury car. cars like lexus and bmw look better stock than with chromed out wheels and shaved badges any day.
Old 06-05-07, 01:57 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rs/ss
Name calling ie. "zealot" and sarcasm. And I'm the "nasty" one???

I've gone to 2 body shops now and have been quoted about $500.00 at each to debadge our Starfire Pearl IS350. Still seems high but I guess that's because I'm not in the paint/body business.
I don’t consider “zealot” as name calling, although I will admit to the sarcasm. But you seem to be looking for a fight. Sorry, if my stance on debadging offends you, then you should look elsewhere for a scrap.
Old 06-05-07, 07:39 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

uhh you take off the emblems yourselfs.. its gonna cost me 80 bucks to fill in the four holes... 500 for rs/ss?? what a rip lol that part of our trunk is plastic.. BTW Why the hell is this thread still open and has so many comments lol i've seen so many threads on this subject and they barely get replies on it but yet this has 6 pages of ongoing arguments.. i just wanna say... the person who is thinking about debadging.. you've seen pictures and its YOUR CALL! who cares what others think! geezzzz
Old 06-05-07, 08:29 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Magellan I'm not looking to fight nor is an apology necessary.

Statements like yours that infer those who debadge lack pride in their cars or wish they would've bought something else or to say that one who chooses this mod. is just tampering to be unique are offensive to some as is evident in other threads on this subject that's all.
Old 06-06-07, 12:57 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dspIS250
leave shaving badges for the ricers. the same inexpensive "mods" that are done on cheap tuner cars should not be applied to a luxury car. cars like lexus and bmw look better stock than with chromed out wheels and shaved badges any day.
What makes you think shaving and debadging are for ricers? Are you saying all of us that do it are ricers? I'm removing the LEXUS and LS400 off my stock LS. Does that make me a ricer? Stop the stereotyping already. You don't those who debadge calling people to keep them on certain names do you? Shaving and debadging has been done long before that stupid term "Rice" ever came about and for decades.
Old 06-06-07, 01:18 AM
NWIS250AWD
Rookie

I would keep the labels. Personally I would not want anyone to guess if I have a 350 - 250. If there was a 350 AWD model I would have purchased it but there is only one choice for AWD although it's the same price as the 350 RWD. I like the balanced look of the badges, I vote to keep them.

Last edited by NWIS250AWD; 06-06-07 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-06-07, 10:18 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i'd keep the badge on. informative purposes, of course.

Quick Reply: to take off emblems or not to?