IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Shave emblem or not to shave?
Shave!
31.97%
Dont Shave!
68.03%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

to take off emblems or not to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 11:59 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To keep the discussion going a bit longer and with a little self-indulgence, my old ’51 Pontiac as previously discussed was, of course, perfectly stock including the old-style license plates which California law permits if the number is otherwise unused.

At a CHVA show in 1991 I was approached by a classic car “agent” regarding using the car in movies. She would get 10% of what I was paid. To make this story short, the car was eventually used in one movie, Guilty By Suspicion, starring Robert Di Niro. There were about 30 of us owners on the lot that day. As a period film (circa 1951), they want stock automobiles only (no debadging of course). Before filming a person came over to all the cars to put on 1951 paper plates for accuracy, but they just bypassed mine because the plates were already appropriate for the period.

If you ever see the film on TV, there’s one scene near the beginning where various autos are coming down a street and you can see my Pontiac for at least ten seconds. I was behind the wheel but you can’t see me. We filmed that scene over and over again for two hours for those 10 seconds that made the final cut. There is another scene where it is just parked with others in the background.

That was the end of my film career. Although the car was “auditioned” a few times afterward, I was never asked to use it again. Sadly, I sold the car in 2001. The guy who bought it also planned to use it in films.

Last edited by Magellan; 06-07-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-07-07, 02:09 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Magellan, That is a really cool story and a pro to keeping everything 100% stock. At least you have a legitimate reason to back up your opinion unlike some other's who just think because they don't like it you shouldn't do it.

If one is concern about the potential value if the IS one day becomes a "Classic" car all they need to do is keep the badges, or buy new replacement ones right now and put them in storage. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the value of a classic car would go down because the badges are not held on by the original adhesive. Unlike modding the sheet metal, removing a badge that is held on by tape is pretty easy to return to stock if one wanted to. I personally keep all my stock parts for that very reason.
Old 08-27-07, 12:04 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I still say take them off ONLY if you plan to mod your car. Im not talking about intake and exhaust. Almost all out or all out show. It just gives the car a nice smooth look. Im doing it, and Im also doing other things people dont like but I dont care LOL. This whole thing will end up upon a persons choice/style.
Old 08-27-07, 12:13 PM
this1b0y
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend is thinking of debadging whole car and swapping lexus out with toyota altezza. wat do u guys htink
Old 08-27-07, 05:41 PM
dajwilson
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
That is a real tough analogy If I bought a Mona Lisa it would be because it was a Mona Lisa and for its value. To me, the painting itself is kind of ugly. I mean Mona Lisa isn't the prettiest girl around. Now, when I buy a car, I buy that particular car because I like what that car offers, and not because of the brand. I'm personally a car fan and not a manufacturer fan. Usually I don't want people to identify my car as a Lexus, or a Honda. I just want them to see a nice car. The only exception is I swapped the Acura badges off my NSX and put Honda badges on it simply as a testimonial to Soichiro Honda and his dream and because Ayrton Senna drove for Honda and helped develop the car. Other than that, I could care less who makes the car as long as it is a good car and offers me what I want. I love it when people come up to me and say "Wow, that is a beautiful car, what kind of car is that?" For me, that removes the brand snob appeal that many have. But like you said, to each their own.

This was excellently stated. I looked at the 3 series bmw, infiniti G35, and Mercedes C-class and decided that Lexus offered the best (for my needs). Some people might buy cars on name basis but that's not everybodys intent.

As far as debadging goes, I like the look of some cars that have been debadged. Sometimes manufacturers clutter the car with badges. Debadging offers and a clean look. Some cars need badging or they look bland. I've seen some of our cars debadged and they looked good.......especially the black ones.
Old 08-28-07, 12:09 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

I want to debadge mine but those darn holes are such a hassle to get fixed. I just want to remove the "LEXUS" and "IS250" logos and leave the "L" logo in the front and rear.
Old 08-28-07, 12:24 AM
ttran57760
Driver School Candidate

dont do it
Old 08-28-07, 12:33 AM
debosteebo
Driver School Candidate

dont do it.
Old 08-28-07, 12:46 AM
Lex5150
Driver School Candidate

If you got an IS250 - debadge
If you got an IS350 - not so much.
Old 09-10-07, 02:20 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

i want to debadge mine. waxing it is a real pain in the *** imo
Old 09-10-07, 02:50 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by racinghart
you have to remember... its not all ppl who shave are embarrassed of what they drive. maybe some but not ALL.
I'm not embarrassed at all (quite the opposite actually) but mines debadged (I have a 2GS4). The last thing I want is something that spells out "LEXUS" like an attention *****. I bought the car for the car, not the brand name value (of course, that is a plus), and to be more conservative.

And to the owner of that G35>
Love the clean look!
Old 09-20-07, 09:02 PM
italiandud
Lead Lap

I personally think that on the IS the badges are very symetrical and nice looking. Its not like they are just on one side. For some reason i feel that the debadged IS has too much space below the tail lights, but that is just my opinion.
Old 09-20-07, 11:09 PM
HighImStan
Pole Position

if you have a 350 don't shave
Old 10-02-07, 06:37 AM
Kristoble
Driver School Candidate

Default ????

Why does everyone care so much about what other people think of their car? Do what makes you happy. Shave if you personally think it makes your car look better, & don't if you have some sort of problem w/ it. Who cares if some stranger driving by on the freeway thinks you drive an IS250 vs IS350 b/c its pretty sad if you bought your car because you wanted the approval of others. Just be happy that you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a nice car -- most people cannot.
Old 10-27-07, 04:43 PM
BlackGhost
Lexus Test Driver

shave em

Quick Reply: to take off emblems or not to?