IS250 Review compared with Audi A4 BMW3

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 07:26 AM
za_insane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 Review compared with Audi A4 BMW3

I found this review of the IS250. IS250 Road Test
They compared it against the BMW 3 and Audi A4. extract->"On the inside fit and finish are good too but the perceivable quality isn't quite yet on par with that of the Audi A4, which we regard has one of the best interiors.Furthermore the interior appears still a bit "Japanese" and are there one or two elements, such as the digital clock, which reminds of its Toyota genes. The flashy plastic centre console is also a bit too much for our liking." ....................."It definitely isn't dull either thanks to its eye-catching design. But it isn't quite able to match the driving experience of the Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series."

I must say i dont agree with it. In my opinion the IS has better quality interior than the A4 or the BMW 3 series. The Audi A4 is a front wheel drive car it is strange that it is compared with the IS. Would you agree to the review?
Old 12-26-06, 07:34 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Agreed. I'm not sure where the "class leading Audi interiors" statement comes from. They may be the best interiors coming from AG, but I think they come up short compared to Lexus and some Acura interiors as well.

Again, VW/Audi are not bad interiors by any means, and are a world better than most Infiniti/Nissan and any American interiors that I’ve seen.
Old 12-26-06, 07:40 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by za_insane
They compared it against the BMW 3 and Audi A4. extract->"On the inside fit and finish are good too but the perceivable quality isn't quite yet on par with that of the Audi A4, which we regard has one of the best interiors.Furthermore the interior appears still a bit "Japanese" and are there one or two elements, such as the digital clock, which reminds of its Toyota genes. The flashy plastic centre console is also a bit too much for our liking." ....................."It definitely isn't dull either thanks to its eye-catching design. But it isn't quite able to match the driving experience of the Audi A4 or BMW 3 Series."

I must say i dont agree with it. In my opinion the IS has better quality interior than the A4 or the BMW 3 series. The Audi A4 is a front wheel drive car it is strange that it is compared with the IS. Would you agree to the review?

Wait how are digital clocks Japense elements? LOL I think that is ridiculous. The majority of cars do have Digital clocks..........
Old 12-26-06, 07:50 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

It is just their opinion. Everybody will never agree. I think the reality is when folks are shopping for premium cars, they are all fairly reliable. So the next step is to find a car that is fun, offers unique designs, etc.

Remember, the majority of car buyers do not like Lexus. They majority of car buyes do not like BMW, Audi, MB, etc. either. Every company has their niche.
Old 12-26-06, 07:52 AM
za_insane
Driver School Candidate

The lexus ride is much more fun than the front wheel drive A4. I recon some motoring journalist don't look past the german 3(Audi.Bmw, Benz). It's really sad because they're missing the point a none german car which is better! more reliable, more value for money and more entertaining. I recently watch a UK program called 5th Gear. They reviewed the IS220d and said that the bmw handles the best but the lexus beats it in every other category!
Old 12-26-06, 07:55 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

I been in many BMWs including the new 328 and last years 330 and I defenitly think the Lexus interior is better. Not to mention iDrive sux.

I've owned an Audi A4 and it did have a supurb and classy interior. Mine was a 98 though and i haven't seen the newer designs inside, but I'd say based on my experience the lexus and A4 were equal.
Old 12-26-06, 07:56 AM
za_insane
Driver School Candidate

and I agree most ppl dont like lexus I rater be in the minority than a majority that lacks true enspiration.
Old 12-26-06, 08:12 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
I been in many BMWs including the new 328 and last years 330 and I defenitly think the Lexus interior is better. Not to mention iDrive sux..
iDrive does appear to be affecting sales. I think folks buy bimmers for the drive, not the Nav. The Lexus nav is better, I think that is a main reason for Lexus sales. Folks are wowed by all the buttons and the Nav.
Old 12-26-06, 08:13 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Few buy the front wheel drive version of the A4, nearly everyone buys the all wheel drive (Quattro) version. The car has a longitudinally mounted engine, i.e., it was designed from the ground up for all wheel drive.

I've driven my sister's old A4 enough to know (and I used to own a previous generation S4) that I find the Audi sportier, with better steering feedback, and generally more enjoyable to drive than the IS.

Interiors are a bit tougher to call. On the Audi, when you order a metallic interior you get real aluminum, not silver plastic. And the seat leather, while not as buttery soft, is much more durable. But the electronics are much better in the Lexus, and the IS does have nice little luxury touches like the soft close ash tray covers.

The main thing that I prefer about the Lexus is that it doesn't turn into a money pit when the warranty runs out.

Last edited by Bichon; 12-26-06 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-26-06, 06:19 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by za_insane

What would you expect from a GERMAN reviewer? The bias shows all the way through the review. Didn't hear the person comment on the Audi's ****ty reliability especially the engine injectors which are a known problem for the make. Just average out the reviews and the Lexus stands tall. Is it perfect? NO. Close yes. Can it be improved? Certainly.
Old 12-26-06, 08:54 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as much as i like lexus cars, until u really push a stock front wheel drive a4, you cant say how it handles, cuz it handles really good for a front wheel drive car.
Old 12-27-06, 12:24 AM
za_insane
Driver School Candidate

This sums the journalist up->"Wilmer has struggled in the past to overcome his VW and German bias. He managed to recover admirably in providing some very objective journalism but alas: He failed with this one. While the Lexus IS is lauded globally as the leader of the pack when it comes to quality, both mechanically and interior finish, he tries to convince the not so uninformed SA public otherwise. There is a reason why Media24's publications cannot compete with Ramsey & Sons: Their journalists just aren't as good..." - Anton

What a slap in the face
Old 12-27-06, 01:48 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
iDrive does appear to be affecting sales. I think folks buy bimmers for the drive, not the Nav. The Lexus nav is better, I think that is a main reason for Lexus sales. Folks are wowed by all the buttons and the Nav.
Agreed. The nav is better, so is the stereo (ML).
Old 12-27-06, 07:48 AM
CasperH
Driver School Candidate

Consider for a moment that for a long time no one in Europe even dreamed of any car in this segment comming close to the Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

For esspecially a German journalist saying that the IS250 is an alternative worthy of consideration he would already have had to get out of his previous mindset. Even though it may not look it, I think this review is a huge compliment to the IS!

On the roads out here, and note that cars are extremely expensive, it is still just Beamers, Audi's and Mercs, which makes people take a closer look at my IS250, result: tons of compliments on my car! No 3 series beamer driver or A4 Audi driver (and Mercs are only for the over 40-s) would ever stand out the same way! It is good to be part of a (or rather the right) minority