IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car damaged pre-pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06 | 06:01 PM
rhsmd
Driver

Default Car damaged pre-pickup

My dealer calls me today and tells me that my IS350 is in and when do i want to pick it up?
since it was delayed for a week by the denver blizzard, and another snowstorm is coming this weekend, i say how about tonight or tomorrow. he says fine, and i try calling my wife to tell her to be home to drive me over to the dealer in the evening( this will be an extra car, no trade).
20 min later the dealer calls me again to tell me that the was told by the prep people that the car was damaged during digging around the car the other day. he says that it's some damage on the hood that will need some paint work. he asks if i want the car.

I declined, and now i have to go through the whole process again.
Hopefully this time they will come up with my first choice color SGM.

any thoughts?
is this a lowball ploy, with someone else coming n with a higher bid than me, or does this sound legit or what?

Old 12-26-06 | 06:07 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rhsmd
My dealer calls me today and tells me that my IS350 is in and when do i want to pick it up?
since it was delayed for a week by the denver blizzard, and another snowstorm is coming this weekend, i say how about tonight or tomorrow. he says fine, and i try calling my wife to tell her to be home to drive me over to the dealer in the evening( this will be an extra car, no trade).
20 min later the dealer calls me again to tell me that the was told by the prep people that the car was damaged during digging around the car the other day. he says that it's some damage on the hood that will need some paint work. he asks if i want the car.

I declined, and now i have to go through the whole process again.
Hopefully this time they will come up with my first choice color SGM.

any thoughts?
is this a lowball ploy, with someone else coming n with a higher bid than me, or does this sound legit or what?

It is possible...I had a car damaged before I picked it up before, they just replaced the part, no cheap paint jobs. O as for the SGM, i seriously cant believe it takes months to get this car, I went to my dealers a few days ago and it had 3 SGM 350's why is it taking everyone so long?
Old 12-26-06 | 06:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by james6290
It is possible...I had a car damaged before I picked it up before, they just replaced the part, no cheap paint jobs. O as for the SGM, i seriously cant believe it takes months to get this car, I went to my dealers a few days ago and it had 3 SGM 350's why is it taking everyone so long?
the options, interior color that someone wants
Old 12-26-06 | 06:14 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Why not ask to go in and take a look at it to see how bad it is? Even if you have no intention of taking the car, at least you will know whether they are being honest with you.
Old 12-26-06 | 06:15 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Hell NO DONT TAKE THE CAR. unless you can get an extra 3K off or more. Its just not worth it. Since the hood is damamged, you will probably have blends into the QTR panels, and then you have to worry about a paint match.... Not on a new car. Dont do it
Old 12-26-06 | 06:15 PM
rhsmd
Driver

yep. no 350's on the lot. this is colorado. everyone wants an AWD!.
also i don't want a black interior.

SMG or TP
sterling
LT
VN
Z1

i've thought of going to see it and copy the VIN. but then they might no even have it up front
Old 12-26-06 | 06:17 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the options, interior color that someone wants
I realize this, but the point i am making is if my dealer has 3, there MUST be one dealer in the country that has an exact match, I have done a dealer search with three of my cars and found an exact match, only had to custom order one. I did not have to sacrifice any options and i got it here in a few weeks. Why don't people just do that.

Note:My IS350 is included in the three cars that were found using dealer search. Exactly how I wanted the car, but it half the time.
Old 12-26-06 | 06:21 PM
rhsmd
Driver

are you doing the search from home?
if so how?
or are the dealers doing it?
Old 12-26-06 | 06:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

yeah go look at it first.
Old 12-26-06 | 07:48 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Cars are damaged all the time..I seriously DOUBT they're lying to you.
Old 12-26-06 | 08:02 PM
Belmont
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Soda
Cars are damaged all the time..I seriously DOUBT they're lying to you.
++

Sadly, it is a common occurance. Most of the crew at the dealerships are, well, it's probably best that we don't look too far into it.

Whenever I buy a new car I just hold my breath and hope for the best.
Old 12-26-06 | 08:20 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

are you doing the search from home?
if so how?
or are the dealers doing it?
You have to go to your dealer and ask them to do a nationwide search. Thats how I found my 350, B/B heading to Arizona and redirected to my dealer in Ohio.
Old 12-26-06 | 08:57 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
Why not ask to go in and take a look at it to see how bad it is? Even if you have no intention of taking the car, at least you will know whether they are being honest with you.
+1. Go check it out first.
Old 12-26-06 | 09:02 PM
rhsmd
Driver

not too interested in seeing the car. it's damaged goods.
for $40+k i want it perfect and a virgin. when it's off the lot it's my fault.
Old 12-26-06 | 10:39 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

not too interested in seeing the car. it's damaged goods.
for $40+k i want it perfect and a virgin. when it's off the lot it's my fault.
I agree, but I think you might have missed my point. If you think they're lying about the car being damaged, just feign an interest in possibly taking it anyway to go see if it actually was damaged.

Quick Reply: Car damaged pre-pickup