IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Sound from ML System?????? HEEEEELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06 | 05:35 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No Sound from ML System?????? HEEEEELP

Is anyone having any problems with their ML sound system?

I have an '06 Sport Package with the VAIS Technology SLI iPod Integration unit hooked up and have also done the Nav Hack.

Well, I made the above modifications when I received the vehicle about 6 months ago. I had absolutely NO problems for about 3-4 months.

Then every once in a while, the entire sound system would just die at random times. During these times, the volume **** would be unresponsive (on steering wheel, too) and NO sound would come out of the speakers, including the Nav Lady's voice, nor any beeps when pressing the various buttons.

Now, after 6 months, the problem has gotten steadily worse and worse. Whereas, early on the sound would just cut out and come back after only a few minutes, now it is happening for hours; sometimes even days on end.

There is no rhyme or reason to the issues, either. It sometimes happens when I start up the car, and other times happens while I'm driving (slow or fast). Stopping, turning off the car and then turning it back on again doesn't fix the issue (like others who have experienced the "faulty amp" issue).

I originally thought it was the VAIS unit going bad, so I pulled it a couple weeks ago to send back and get reflashed. Well, the problem surfaced again even without the unit connected (wires still in place, however).

I did a forum search already, and the only problem I can see people having is related to the "faulty amp" issue. The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason to when my sound goes out, and I can have my volume on level 01, 02, etc. when it goes out. This all leads me to believe it could be something other than the amp.

I can't believe I am the only one with the ML/Nav Hack/VAIS unit combo who's experiencing this...am I??

Anyone? PLEEEASE????

Thanks,

Ed
Old 12-28-06 | 05:40 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Do the hack, take your chances. Sounds like a loose or bad connection somewhere. You'll likely have to take it to the dealer (and talk your way around the mods).
Old 12-28-06 | 05:40 PM
homer4598
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS3FIDDY
Is anyone having any problems with their ML sound system?

I have an '06 Sport Package with the VAIS Technology SLI iPod Integration unit hooked up and have also done the Nav Hack.

Well, I made the above modifications when I received the vehicle about 6 months ago. I had absolutely NO problems for about 3-4 months.

Then every once in a while, the entire sound system would just die at random times. During these times, the volume **** would be unresponsive (on steering wheel, too) and NO sound would come out of the speakers, including the Nav Lady's voice, nor any beeps when pressing the various buttons.

Now, after 6 months, the problem has gotten steadily worse and worse. Whereas, early on the sound would just cut out and come back after only a few minutes, now it is happening for hours; sometimes even days on end.

There is no rhyme or reason to the issues, either. It sometimes happens when I start up the car, and other times happens while I'm driving (slow or fast). Stopping, turning off the car and then turning it back on again doesn't fix the issue (like others who have experienced the "faulty amp" issue).

I originally thought it was the VAIS unit going bad, so I pulled it a couple weeks ago to send back and get reflashed. Well, the problem surfaced again even without the unit connected (wires still in place, however).

I did a forum search already, and the only problem I can see people having is related to the "faulty amp" issue. The thing is, there is no rhyme or reason to when my sound goes out, and I can have my volume on level 01, 02, etc. when it goes out. This all leads me to believe it could be something other than the amp.

I can't believe I am the only one with the ML/Nav Hack/VAIS unit combo who's experiencing this...am I??

Anyone? PLEEEASE????

Thanks,

Ed

This sounds like the problems people reported as being a bad ML amp...
Old 12-28-06 | 05:47 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Do the hack, take your chances. Sounds like a loose or bad connection somewhere. You'll likely have to take it to the dealer (and talk your way around the mods).
Yeah I actually already talked to the dealer and came clean. I don't mind putting everything back to normal just to verify whether the problem goes away...but it sure does look like a software glitch of sorts...
Old 12-28-06 | 05:50 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by homer4598
This sounds like the problems people reported as being a bad ML amp...

The thing is, I've read those posts already, and though similar, I don't have all the same symptoms others do. My problems are not related to how loud the volume is, nor am I able to correct it by turning the car off and on. Also, it doesn't seem to matter if I'm moving or not.

Some have reported warning lights coming on, but that never happened to me.

My thinking is, if the amp is the problem, then it's just an output-related issue; all the controls and ***** should still work. However, my volume **** doesn't register at all when the problem surfaces. In other words, I'll turn the volume up or down and the volume number won't register/change at all. It's as if the volume **** doesn't even work. This makes it seem like a software issue more than anything else...
Old 12-28-06 | 05:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so i had your exact problem.....and i'm pretty sure i reported it here in the forum, let me do some searching.
Old 12-28-06 | 06:05 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
so i had your exact problem.....and i'm pretty sure i reported it here in the forum, let me do some searching.
Please do. I couldn't find anything other than the amp problem everybody's been talking about.

Did you also find a resolution?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 12-28-06 | 06:19 PM
eddo1
Driver

IS3fiddy

I also have a similar problem. But mine is stock. Just happened only once. Volume cuts out while driving. Comes back on about a minute later. After the sound comes back on, the volume control works but nothing shows on screen. Also, my other nav, desc buttons only show "external computer not connected" and the climate button gives me a "Check air conditioning unit" messages. All other climate functions are also not responsive. I didn't reboot the car but got home and left it until next am - everything is working now for the last week or so.
Old 12-28-06 | 06:31 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS3FIDDY
Please do. I couldn't find anything other than the amp problem everybody's been talking about.

Did you also find a resolution?

Thanks,

Ed
yes, it was my entire vaistech unit. replaced it completely, never had the problem again. the unit was not entirely at fault but the procedure was the main cause.
Old 12-28-06 | 07:16 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, it was my entire vaistech unit. replaced it completely, never had the problem again. the unit was not entirely at fault but the procedure was the main cause.
i had the exact same thing happen. replaced with a new unit and it works flawlessly now. although i'm not exactly sure what was wrong...
Old 12-28-06 | 07:48 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by eddo1
IS3fiddy

I also have a similar problem. But mine is stock. Just happened only once. Volume cuts out while driving. Comes back on about a minute later. After the sound comes back on, the volume control works but nothing shows on screen. Also, my other nav, desc buttons only show "external computer not connected" and the climate button gives me a "Check air conditioning unit" messages. All other climate functions are also not responsive. I didn't reboot the car but got home and left it until next am - everything is working now for the last week or so.
Whoa...everyone seems to be having different problems...this sucks.

eddo1, keep a close eye on your system. Mine got worse over time...6 months later, it's a crapshoot when the audio works and doesn't work. I never had issues with the display or other screens not working, though...
Old 12-28-06 | 07:49 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

See, the thing is, that is what I thought it was so I pulled the unit. But a couple days later, while it was still in shipping transit, my system is still having the same problems...

Did yours work fine during the time you pulled the unit and installed the replacement?
Old 12-28-06 | 07:50 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by jsquared
i had the exact same thing happen. replaced with a new unit and it works flawlessly now. although i'm not exactly sure what was wrong...
Did you have any problems in between the time of replacing the unit?
Old 12-28-06 | 07:52 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine did... also, i remember, i dropped a harness. it's a small one, maybe 3in. long, both sides connected to the HU. but that one fixed the display problem i was having. the sound worked normally when i took out the sli kit. just a thought... it took me and the shop about an hour to figure that one out. maybe it's something as simple as that?
Old 12-28-06 | 08:08 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by jsquared
mine did... also, i remember, i dropped a harness. it's a small one, maybe 3in. long, both sides connected to the HU. but that one fixed the display problem i was having. the sound worked normally when i took out the sli kit. just a thought... it took me and the shop about an hour to figure that one out. maybe it's something as simple as that?
Wait, so you're saying that there was a loose/disconnected cable the whole time? I don't get it...you *did* or *did not* have a problem after taking out the "defective" unit and while waiting to receive a new unit to install?

Thanks,

Ed

Quick Reply: No Sound from ML System?????? HEEEEELP