IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight sensitivity is uneven...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 07:24 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Someone posted just a little while ago about adjusting alignment and something about 9.54 feet away from the wall... Maybe that person will chime in... They seemed to have positive results... I did a search but couldn't find that thread...
You may be referring to my post which mentioned a pdf on another forum. That pdf is attached...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Headlight_aim.pdf (211.2 KB, 21539 views)
Old 08-05-07, 10:24 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing it back!
Old 08-16-07, 06:45 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Can anyone help me with my AFS adjustment?? Is it true you have to adjust it both horizontally and vertically??
Old 08-16-07, 11:16 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
Someone posted just a little while ago about adjusting alignment and something about 9.54 feet away from the wall... Maybe that person will chime in... They seemed to have positive results... I did a search but couldn't find that thread...
I hope they chime in too, beccause my passenger headlight is higher than my driver's side, despite the dealership telling me it checks out. I thought it was a sensitivity issue, but it's the aim. I was told all of our cars are supposed to have a lower aiming beam from driver's side, anyone else notice this?
Old 08-16-07, 11:44 PM
kidluvsole
Pole Position

i lowered my car a few days ago, my headlight seem to be dimmer, and i just got my ballast change two weeks ago due to malfuntion of my headlight, im just gonna life with it i mean nothing i can do and i also have an intake, i mean as long as my lights are still straight than im good.
Old 08-16-07, 11:47 PM
kidluvsole
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES3
I hope they chime in too, beccause my passenger headlight is higher than my driver's side, despite the dealership telling me it checks out. I thought it was a sensitivity issue, but it's the aim. I was told all of our cars are supposed to have a lower aiming beam from driver's side, anyone else notice this?
my driver side is lower than my passenger side, and i just got my reaim two weeks ago by lexus dealership, but since i got my car lower, its different but its still cool
Old 08-17-07, 07:35 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Yea the driver side is suppose to be lower so you won't blind oncoming traffic. But if you look straight at your headlights, they're even.
Old 08-18-07, 04:00 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

The PDF file just says to adjust vertically does anyone know if you HAVE to adjust it horizontally. Cmon some ones gotta know this....
Old 10-05-07, 05:22 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

How do you solve the auto-leveling problem when you lower the car? .

I have a customer who asked after he lowered his car and now he's getting this problem. Sorry.....did a quick search but couldn't find the answer.
Old 10-05-07, 06:05 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
How do you solve the auto-leveling problem when you lower the car? .

I have a customer who asked after he lowered his car and now he's getting this problem. Sorry.....did a quick search but couldn't find the answer.

Mark, does he also have the AFS light on? Try this thread from the 2IS FAQ
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220113
Old 10-05-07, 07:43 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Mark, does he also have the AFS light on? Try this thread from the 2IS FAQ
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220113

Thanks Dave....I forwarded this off to him....
Old 10-05-07, 09:26 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Afs

Originally Posted by MrMark
Thanks Dave....I forwarded this off to him....
Hey Mark,
Thanks,
I've been on the site all day.Very Helpful. I think I've figured it out.
Sounds like a simple fix.
Old 10-05-07, 10:47 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Driver side doesn’t not need to be lower.

By design, the right side should always appear brighter since both beams are projecting more light that way.

Being a former HIDPlanet member and ex-retro fitter. I think there is a little misinformation about headlight brightness and pattern. By design US based cars have either a DOT or ECE shield inside the projector which allows for the projector cutoff and to some degree the beam pattern.
These shields provide the slope in the beam patterns cutoff, making the beam higher towards the right and lower towards the left. Both headlights should have the same level pattern determined by the side. They should line up and overlap to some degree.

HIDPlanet University has some great articles on proper aiming and the myth that the right side is brighter.
Old 10-05-07, 10:28 PM
Bass Mech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

im wondering if you have a bad buld and they swapped left to right and vice versa to see if there was a bad bulb, maybe its intermitent? take the aftermarket part off and take it back.
Old 10-06-07, 05:15 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GB80
Driver side doesn’t not need to be lower.

By design, the right side should always appear brighter since both beams are projecting more light that way.

Being a former HIDPlanet member and ex-retro fitter. I think there is a little misinformation about headlight brightness and pattern. By design US based cars have either a DOT or ECE shield inside the projector which allows for the projector cutoff and to some degree the beam pattern.
These shields provide the slope in the beam patterns cutoff, making the beam higher towards the right and lower towards the left. Both headlights should have the same level pattern determined by the side. They should line up and overlap to some degree.

HIDPlanet University has some great articles on proper aiming and the myth that the right side is brighter.
Any idea how much higher the passenger side light should appear when aiming the lights at a garage from say 15 feet or so?

Quick Reply: Headlight sensitivity is uneven...