IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight sensitivity is uneven...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 09:49 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight sensitivity is uneven...

Ok, i got my IS in june 06 and within the first month i noticed that my right headlight was brighter than my left. I took it to the dealer to get it fixed and they fixed it but said that the reason for the uneven sensativity was due to my aftermarket intake. How this makes sense, i dont know. what does the intake have anthing to do with the headlights?

Anyways, so they fixed it with no problems, but now once again i have the same problem, except the only difference is that this time my left headlight is brighter than my right. Am i the only one? Can anybody help me? Should i just take it back to the dealer?

Thankyou guys for all of your help.
Old 12-28-06, 09:53 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never even knew headlights had a sensativity in regards to output????

I dont know what the heck the dealer was talking about.

only sensors are for AFS and auto headlight leveling, and even if those were somehow affected, what would be off is your headlight level, not the output itself.

sounds like a malfunction with either your harness, ballast/ignitor, maybe even bulb.

I highly doubt your intake would affect it, at least no other guys have had similar issues I believe.
Old 12-28-06, 09:56 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

i guess that just goes to show once again how little the dealers really know about the cars that they sell. Idiots. I hate my dealership, but i dont know what else to do besides take it back to them.

Any suggestions? what should i do?
Old 12-28-06, 10:09 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

so they didnt touch your car due to the fact that you had aftermarket intake?
Old 12-28-06, 10:13 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

no, they actually did fix the lights, but they claimed that the headlights got messed up in the first place beacuse i had installed my aftermarket intake.

i dont know what that means.
Old 12-28-06, 10:20 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I doubt that, you know how dealers are. they blame faulty OEM equipment on anything thats aftermarket, even if it completely unrelated.

thats why some guys if they have anything thats aftermarket, if they can will remove it before they take it to the dealer, that way they will just get it fixed, without getting a lecture on "you do know that yada yada yada" had to hear it all the time with my old ES on 19's. depends on the technician and the dealer.

I had a friend take his tahoe in to chevy dealer, he had an American Package or something like that on his truck, and the tech told him, "you do know that those wheels will mess up your suspension, and will probably void your warranty" Tech felt stupid when my friend replied "I bought the truck like that from your dealership" lol

Last edited by DonJuan45i; 12-28-06 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-28-06, 10:25 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

oh i know but i got sick of taking my intake in and out every time i went to the dealership, and the one time i didn't, they got me. Oh well...

i have to say, any and everybody that i follow in my IS at night, makes sure to tell me that my left light is way brighter than my right, and that i need to get it fixed. I guess i have to go back to the stupid dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-06, 10:29 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

yup no problem,

well at least they got it fixed, even if you had to hear them rant.

you can lie to them and tell them "oh well, the intake was recommended by a tech that works here, he said it was a good and safe way to increase my gas mileage" Usually they dont say anything after that. if they do, you can always reply "well I would think your techs would know what they are talking about, it seemed to make sense the way he explained it to me."
Old 12-29-06, 02:22 AM
khoongy
Driver

i also had a headlight problem similar to yours. its not that the sensitivity is higher or lower. the focal point of the projector is just pointing slightly off. if you stand back and get down low to stare eye-to-eye with your projectors, you will reach a certain point where you will be blind . if both sides blind you, your projectors are fine and they just need some adjusting

i took mine to the dealer because one was pointing up towards the sky, and the other was pointing straight. they fixed it during the day so it was harder for them to adjust it. when i got my car back at night today after the adjustment, both of my projectors were straight, but pointed towards the ground! anyway, i am tired of taking it to the dealer so i am just going to adjust it myself. any tips? is it easy/hard? ..
Old 12-29-06, 07:22 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone posted just a little while ago about adjusting alignment and something about 9.54 feet away from the wall... Maybe that person will chime in... They seemed to have positive results... I did a search but couldn't find that thread...
Old 12-29-06, 06:27 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

You can manually adjust your headlights, but your autoleveling would correct it to how it is programed, and would aim your projectors down low again. I believe the only way to fix this is the dealer has to program you leveling/afs system.

there was someone else on here that took their car to the dealer and says that the dealear aimed them too low, however dealer refuses to adjust it higher, and claims they are adjusted correctly.
Old 12-29-06, 11:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,065 Likes on 2,462 Posts

The headlight aiming procedure is pretty technical. Your autoleveling will be affected by the position of the sensors (as discussed in two or three other threads about AFS problems after lowering the car.) The lights should not change level if the factory procedure is used to set up the lights.

The only possible way your intake could affect the lighting is if you loosened or removed the headlight housings and did not install them to their original position. There's no way an intake pipe will directly affect your lights, but the actual install might.

I'd post the info from the manual, but it is pages long with lots of graphics, and in truth, you need to find a dealer or competent lamp adjuster who can validate the lights are set up correctly.

One interesting side note - here is the list of things to do to prepare for a lamp adjustment:

Prepare the vehicle:
• Ensure that there is no damage or deformation to the body around the headlights.
• Fill the fuel tank.
• Make sure that the oil is filled to the specified level.
• Make sure that the coolant is filled to the specified level.
• Inflate the tires to the appropriate pressure.
• Place the spare tire, tools, and jack in their original positions.
• Unload the trunk.
• Sit a person of average weight (68 kg, 150 lb) in the driver's seat.
It just gets more complicated from here.
Old 12-30-06, 06:40 AM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

thanks guys...i guess i'll just take it back to the dealer.
Old 12-30-06, 07:24 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure the dealer meant the install of the intake caused the problem, not the intake itself. Did you loosen anything under there to install the intake? It's not an unreasonable conclusion - I'm sure they've seen it before.

Everyone slams the dealer (including me), but there are idiots out there that screw things up by doing mods.
Old 12-30-06, 12:49 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

okay lets say that when i installed my intake, i accidentally tampered with the headlight settings or whatever. But what about the second time the sensativity got messed up? I havent touched my intake ever since the dealer fixed my headlights the first time but they are uneven again...

Also, i did not unplug, unscrew, take out, or tamper with anything i did not need to for proper installation of the intake.

Quick Reply: Headlight sensitivity is uneven...