IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID condensation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 11:19 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID condensation

Just did a search and couldn't really find an answer to my problem. Basically I have some condensation in the driver's side housing. It usually occurs after washing my car and when it gets really cold at night. The condensation usually disappears after parking the car in the sun for about an hour or so. I do have aftermarket HIDs and they drilled a hole in the dustcap (HID kit didn't come with the rubber grommet). I was just wondering if this will damage my headlights?
Old 12-29-06, 11:28 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to make the assembly reasonably airtight. I'm surprised that:
1. the kit didn't have grommets
2. that the installer didn't rig/fabricate something to keep the moisture, dust, etc., out of the assembly.

The assemby is very expensive. I would try to find something that will seal the hole up.
Old 12-29-06, 11:32 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Sorry I forgot to mention that he used some black rubber goo to seal the wires. It feels like putty... I think the wires are sealed pretty well. I tried the search button and some people mentioned that the bulb OR dustcap were not seated properly. I wonder if I have that problem...
Old 12-29-06, 11:56 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Sorry I forgot to mention that he used some black rubber goo to seal the wires. It feels like putty... I think the wires are sealed pretty well. I tried the search button and some people mentioned that the bulb OR dustcap were not seated properly. I wonder if I have that problem...
If they used the right stuff (I've used the same or similar after wiring power wires for aftermarket amps through the firewall) then it may very well be the dustcover. It is a little tricky to get on right because there is not much room to work with unless you remove a lot of the stuff around it.

I'd loosen the screw holding the little metal rod and see if there is any play with the dustcover. If you have condensation in the assembly, take a blowdryer and dry it out before putting the dustcover back on.
Old 12-29-06, 12:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,445 Posts

The assembly should never be airtight, and it never is on the OEM setups I've seen (and I've seen quite a few). It must breathe. If there is a leak on a high spot, then you have an issue and you need to solve it. But there should be vents with foam blocks in them to allow the air inside the lamp housing to expand and contract with the light's heating and cooling events.
Old 12-29-06, 12:42 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The assembly should never be airtight, and it never is on the OEM setups I've seen (and I've seen quite a few). It must breathe. If there is a leak on a high spot, then you have an issue and you need to solve it. But there should be vents with foam blocks in them to allow the air inside the lamp housing to expand and contract with the light's heating and cooling events.
You'll note that I said 'reasonably airtight.'

Everywhere the assembly can be touched, worked on, visible, etc., without removing it, should be airtight as if it's exposed to you, it can be exposed to the elements. The engineers place the vent(s) in areas where moisture can't/won't usually get to.

However, the dustcover is definitely one area that should be airtight IMHO.
Old 12-29-06, 01:29 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Thx for all the help guys. Hey al503 you mentioned removing the screw and moving the dustcap around. I was planning on doing that but is there any way of knowing that it's in the right spot? Like will I feel some sort of click? One final question... do you guys think my headlights are getting any damage from the condensation?
Old 12-29-06, 01:51 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Hey al503 you mentioned removing the screw and moving the dustcap around. I was planning on doing that but is there any way of knowing that it's in the right spot? Like will I feel some sort of click?
You will know right away when it's seated completely and when it's not. When the cover is fully seated, you should be able to get the metal rod under the screw rather easily. If you have to force it or bend it, then something is off.

When you go in there, the first thing to check is whether the screw is 'straining' (for lack of a better term) to keep the rod in place. There should only be a little tension and it should only be for a few mm. (BTW, you don't have to unscrew the screw all the way. Just do it enough to get the rod out. This way, you won't have to worry about it falling down into the engine bay and really getting PO at yourself.) If it is, thats a dead giveaway that the dustcover is askew. Regardless, jimmy the dustcover around a bit to see if it seats itself any better.

I would also take a look at the black putty-like stuff and see if there are obvious holes/seams in it letting the moisture through. If possible, try packing it back up around the wires and around the hole ON BOTH SIDES of the dustcover.

One final question... do you guys think my headlights are getting any damage from the condensation?
Moisture usually doesn't mix well with wires and electronics, in general. If this is just a recent thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 12-29-06, 05:18 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That happens to my oem headlights also. I need to bring it to the dealership