Headlight Adjustment Success!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-07, 10:45 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FinanceGuy
Good idea by marking the wall, pocky.

Which way does the horizontal adjustment need to be turned clock or counter-clock?
Whichever the way you turned the vertical adjustment. So if you turned the vertical counter-clockwise 2 full turns, same applies to the horizontal.
Old 02-13-07, 07:41 AM
iexpress
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So even if ur car did not come with HID's .. is there still a screw there that you can adjust?
Old 02-13-07, 07:55 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
So I finally adjusted my lights. For those with the AFS system, you HAVE to adjust the horizontal adjustment the same amount of turns as the vertical. When I was adjusting the vertical, you can clearly see the horizontal beam move. I placed a couple of markers on the wall before I started adjusting them.
Hmmm, I didn't notice a movement in the horizontal, but I didn't mark the wall, just eyeballed it...

How much of a difference was it? About the same as the vertical change?

I'll take a look this weekend when I go to the garage and park the car 30 feet from a wall and see if my lights appear to be pointing left/right instead of straight ahead, but they seem to be fine... They are a pretty wide beam anyway, maybe that's why I didn't notice in the first place...

Last edited by Technique; 02-13-07 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-13-07, 08:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pocky, can you post a pic on where the hell the horizontal adjustment is?

thanks for the info and help!
Old 02-13-07, 09:49 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iexpress
So even if ur car did not come with HID's .. is there still a screw there that you can adjust?
Of course there is. The same adjustment screw.

Originally Posted by Technique
Hmmm, I didn't notice a movement in the horizontal, but I didn't mark the wall, just eyeballed it...

How much of a difference was it? About the same as the vertical change?

I'll take a look this weekend when I go to the garage and park the car 30 feet from a wall and see if my lights appear to be pointing left/right instead of straight ahead, but they seem to be fine... They are a pretty wide beam anyway, maybe that's why I didn't notice in the first place...
Personally I don't think it's that much of a difference. When you adjust the beam upwards, the horizontal moves left. Yeah, the beams are pretty wide. I just really wish our cutoff is sharper.

Originally Posted by bagwell
Pocky, can you post a pic on where the hell the horizontal adjustment is?

thanks for the info and help!
Let me find a pic or someone else's car installing HID's and I'll try to circle the little tiny "hole" for the vertical. You'll need a 8"+ screwdriver to get to it.

It's basically on the fenders, it's only a couple of inches from the vertical adjustment under the black plastic liner that covers the fender. It's a hole just big enough for a long screw driver.
Old 02-13-07, 10:00 AM
iexpress
Pole Position

So what level do you guys have your adjustments on? Notice anything from the stock adjustment?
Old 02-13-07, 03:34 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine becuase after i dropped my car it was really low. thanks to this thread I fixed it, thanks guys!
Old 02-23-07, 04:55 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Question Odd HID

Well I did this adjustment recently with 50 notches upwards both vertically and horizontally. However, I noticed that my left headlamp beam is not perfectly flat. The right side of the beam is a little higher. This is not a gradual increase, but an abrupt right angle increase. Is this normal?
Old 02-23-07, 05:49 PM
TR3XX
Pole Position

this might be a dumb question, but what's the recommended height level you should have your lights set to? should the top of the beam be "x" amount of inches from the ground?
Old 02-23-07, 08:14 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TR3XX
this might be a dumb question, but what's the recommended height level you should have your lights set to? should the top of the beam be "x" amount of inches from the ground?
Find the pdf from page 1.
Old 02-26-07, 07:04 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Well I did this adjustment recently with 50 notches upwards both vertically and horizontally. However, I noticed that my left headlamp beam is not perfectly flat. The right side of the beam is a little higher. This is not a gradual increase, but an abrupt right angle increase. Is this normal?
I think it's normal... Mine came from the factory like that, and is still like that now since I did the left and right even height upwards... Someone said something like the left beam should be a little lower so as not to blind oncoming drivers... And that in countries where they drive on the other side, the right light is lower... Always the driver's light... Makes sense to me....
Old 02-26-07, 07:17 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Thanks for getting back to me. I figured it was normal. Now I have to figure out if I am blinding people or not. I think nowadays people are used to super bright headlights, so even if they are blinding people won't let you know (ie flash you). The Acura headlights are pretty bright. I don't think they have an auto-leveling function which makes it worse.
Old 02-26-07, 08:01 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Thanks for getting back to me. I figured it was normal. Now I have to figure out if I am blinding people or not. I think nowadays people are used to super bright headlights, so even if they are blinding people won't let you know (ie flash you). The Acura headlights are pretty bright. I don't think they have an auto-leveling function which makes it worse.
Best way to check is to simply see where your headlights come up to on the trunk/trunk lid of the cars in front of you... When you're about 10-25 feet away, see if it's above the trunk lid, if so, they are too high for sure... Mine are about 6-12 inches below most passenger car's trunk lids...

My old Acura CL Type S's headlights were definitely higher, and with no auto leveling, they would shine very high at times!
Old 02-26-07, 08:21 PM
Dj_AmtraX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine right after this post when up. I am loving the change.

I marked the adjustment *** with a marker proir to making changes. Two full turns mark to mark and it looks GREAT.
Old 02-26-07, 11:02 PM
Shaft350
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
Best way to check is to simply see where your headlights come up to on the trunk/trunk lid of the cars in front of you... When you're about 10-25 feet away, see if it's above the trunk lid, if so, they are too high for sure... Mine are about 6-12 inches below most passenger car's trunk lids...

My old Acura CL Type S's headlights were definitely higher, and with no auto leveling, they would shine very high at times!

looks like we both stepped up from acura cl-s... yea the headlights were higher, acura seems like they have prefected their headlights

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment Success!