IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headlight Adjustment Success!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 02:29 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, well this is the first headlight adjusting thread I have read and Im glad I did! I have always wondered wtf was wrong with our headlights and why I practically had to lay on the ground just to get them shined right in my eyes to gauge the color of light. So yea I will probably be adjusting these today sometime and Ill try and take some pics of the holes if I can find them for all those that are having trouble finding the hole (no pun intended) lol.

I just know this is going to make me want my 5000K bulbs even more now!
Old 09-15-07, 04:48 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

woops... i meant the horizontal screws
Old 09-27-07, 07:59 PM
genki
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im still a little bit confused. does this one screw adjust both the horizontal and vertical aiming of the headlight?
Old 09-27-07, 08:19 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ha d the dealership adjust mine for free, much better.

they said mine were 8 inches low from 25 ft...world of difference
Old 09-27-07, 09:15 PM
genki
Pole Position

I went for the 15k service and they wouldnt do it for me.
Old 09-28-07, 02:11 AM
cluguy
Driver School Candidate

this is genuinely a great post -- thank you.
Old 10-04-07, 01:43 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

clockwise or counterclock wise? i tried clockwise or turning the screwdriver clockwise. seem to work, however i cant get the right headlight(driver) to the same height of the left one. this is getting frustrating!!!!! i did both horizontal and vertical. noticed difference but want to line them up even.i
Old 10-04-07, 06:03 PM
warhol
Driver School Candidate

they are not supposed to be the same height. driver side is lower so you don't blind on coming traffic
Old 10-04-07, 06:44 PM
rjm07
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealerships would not adjust...

When I went in for my 5K oil change, I asked the dealership (Pleasanton, CA) to check and hopefully adjust the headlights as I thought they were pointed too low. When I picked up my car, the work report simply stated that the "headlights did not need adjustment" -no other explanation.

I recently went in for the brake dust TSIB and 10K oil change and decided to try another dealership (Magnussens, Fremont, CA). I again stated that the headlights were aimed too low. This time, the dealership reported that they compared my headlights to other IS' on the lot and that mine were the same, so again, no adjustment.

It seems interesting that so many owners have apparently arrived at the "erroneous" conclusion that the headlights are aimed too low from the factory. I guess this could be the case, but regardless, looks like I will have to make the change myself...

RJM07
Old 10-04-07, 07:12 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I wanna do this but Im too lazy haha
Old 10-08-07, 08:06 PM
neova
Pole Position

(post removed)

Last edited by neova; 10-09-07 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-12-07, 11:26 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm still pretty sure you can do this without a lot of gyrations just by changing the AFS sensor position on the rear suspension. I'm going to play with it a little to be sure, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't raise and lower the headlights without any other adjustments at all.
Any updates with this method?
Old 10-12-07, 12:25 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I think Im just going to do this tonight LOL
Old 10-12-07, 05:35 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm07
When I went in for my 5K oil change, I asked the dealership (Pleasanton, CA) to check and hopefully adjust the headlights as I thought they were pointed too low. When I picked up my car, the work report simply stated that the "headlights did not need adjustment" -no other explanation.

I recently went in for the brake dust TSIB and 10K oil change and decided to try another dealership (Magnussens, Fremont, CA). I again stated that the headlights were aimed too low. This time, the dealership reported that they compared my headlights to other IS' on the lot and that mine were the same, so again, no adjustment.

It seems interesting that so many owners have apparently arrived at the "erroneous" conclusion that the headlights are aimed too low from the factory. I guess this could be the case, but regardless, looks like I will have to make the change myself...

RJM07
It's just 'how you ask'. I asked my dealer to raise my low beams by one full turn of the adjustment ****. No problem.........not even a charge. This really improved the beam pattern on the road. I just wish I had the HIDs instead of the halogen bulb. I did replace those bulbs with PIAA Extreme white and whoaaaaaaaaaa...that made a big difference....now almost as nice as HID.
Hope this helps some.
Old 08-18-08, 10:53 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IronPhoenX
The left side beam should always be lower than the right so that it doesn't blind on-coming traffic from the left. I believe other countries where they drive on the left, have the right beam lower than the left.
But the right side could come down a bit IMO. When I'm in another car in front of mine the right side appears to be shooting MUCH higher than my driver's side.
Anyone else notice this?

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment Success!