IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Starting off 2007 on a bad note - Car got egged

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-07, 03:33 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Starting off 2007 on a bad note - Car got egged

So I'm at my friends hosue with a few of my cousins for a little new years get together. I walk out to the garage and see my friend cleaning something from the garage door. I asked what he was doing and he said someone had thrown an egg onto the garage door. First thing I thought of was the car. I had parked out on the street so I wouldn't have to deal with me blocking anyone in the driveway, or having someone block me if I wanted to leave. I run up the drive way to take a look and sure enough, my car bore the brunt of the egg attack. I pulled it into the drive way to get some light and a better look, the whole driver side was pretty much covered, the good news was that it looked like it had just happened so nothing had dried out yet. I soaked the car and used a rag to get as much of it off as possible, then drove to the nearest automatic car wash and ran it through twice. The lady at the gas station was kind enough to let me take it in a second time free of charge.

The good news:
Got all the egg off
Got back to my friends house with 3 minutes left until the ball dropped

The bad news:
There are several small paint chips on the rear driver door from the egg hitting the car

I have yet to see it in daylight so I don't know how noticable the paint chips are, but i'm sure to me they will be very noticable. I'm not sure if just that part can be repaired or if they'll need to paint the entire door. I'll be taking it to a couple body shops to get an estimate, if it's more than my deductable I'll just make a claim which would be covered under my comprehensive.

Oh, the other bit of bad news is that I didn't catch the pussies that did it!
Old 01-01-07, 03:59 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the bad luck bro.

That is why I didnt even start my car today. Just sat in the garage actually for the past two days.
Old 01-01-07, 06:19 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear what happened to your car. Even worse that you weren't able to catch the people that did this to your car. There were too many crazy people out there last night. I played it safe and left the Lex at home and drove my Integra all night instead.
Old 01-01-07, 07:15 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah... that sucked... sorry to hear... left mine in the garage also.... hope things go well.
Old 01-01-07, 09:21 AM
flyfl1pguy

yes sorry to hear bout your car.
Old 01-01-07, 09:30 AM
Sarorn
Driver

I really hate hearing stories like this! I hope someone catches the little losers that did it! Really really pisses me off!!!

What color is your car? If they paint the door, they'd have to blend into the adjacent panels as well in order for the colors to match. I'm sure a good body shop will repair it perfectly and you won't notice any difference.

Can you take pics and post it up so we can see how bad the chips are? Let us know how the repairs go.
Old 01-01-07, 09:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Kids down here will throw the eggs over the overpasses. I have never had problems with chips, but after I run bracket races (and win) I usually get some scratches from a few anti-gringos in the crowd.
Old 01-01-07, 09:41 AM
sk72
Pole Position

I am sorry to hear that.. anyways were you near any college area?? I hate unresponsible college kids.. have seen a lot them while I was doing a food delivery while I was in the college.. I have even had chicks just walk in to my car and trying to steal the food..

Anyways.. don't let this ruin your 07' .. hopefully there is not much paint chips..
Old 01-01-07, 10:48 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The car is Black Onyx. I'll try and get some pics posted today.
Old 01-01-07, 12:03 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramon
I'll be taking it to a couple body shops to get an estimate, if it's more than my deductable I'll just make a claim which would be covered under my comprehensive.
if i were you i would just do it out of pocket. if you file a claim, it will go on your carfax where they will not put complete information... your report will just say it had work done to that door, not specifically what, so the next person to buy your car or when you trade it in will throw a fit over the door on the carfax eventhough it was only paint. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-07, 12:48 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you still got to see the ball drop...
Old 01-01-07, 05:21 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by cpsmith516
if i were you i would just do it out of pocket. if you file a claim, it will go on your carfax where they will not put complete information... your report will just say it had work done to that door, not specifically what, so the next person to buy your car or when you trade it in will throw a fit over the door on the carfax eventhough it was only paint. just my 2 cents.
I thought CARFAX's only showed anything if there was major damage to the car. I had a minor accident with my 98 Accord, and when I sold it, my buyer did a carfax and it didnt show anything.
Old 01-01-07, 05:26 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
The car is Black Onyx. I'll try and get some pics posted today.
They may not have to blend to the adjacent panels since its black. Black is an easy color to match and there aren't too many shades of it.

Also, when talking to bodyshops, if they have to repaint the whole door, make sure they properly remove all the trim or mouldings around the door and close to the window. They have to paint underneath the trim too, not just tape it. This is the only way to properly repaint and not have it peeling down the road.
Old 01-01-07, 07:32 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
I thought CARFAX's only showed anything if there was major damage to the car. I had a minor accident with my 98 Accord, and when I sold it, my buyer did a carfax and it didnt show anything.
I had a SMALL scratch on a car once... I took it in for an estimate, and that's it... And it showed up on carfax as "Visit to an accident center" "Accidents = 1"

I was so pissed... It all depends on if the auto body shop you go to records your vin and is a carfax partner...