Search this Thread

Old 01-03-07 | 05:07 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

What options? Congrats on the new car!
Old 01-03-07 | 05:15 PM
Sturm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Since we get screwed in Canada with limited package options I did the works with the Navigation and Luxury package and I got the sports pedals thrown in as well, which was nice
Old 01-03-07 | 05:21 PM
totalstu
Pole Position

Yes, congrats on the new car.
Old 01-09-07 | 11:21 AM
iobidder
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
(1) you can't register unless you're a resident, (2) you can't get plates unless to register, (3) see 1.
There are certainly way around that!
Old 01-09-07 | 11:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Congrats for the new IS350 I think it's too much of a hassle too . . .
Old 01-12-07 | 07:53 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Agree it is too much hassle for a permanent resident. However, it is feasible for anyone who can get on a temporary resident status to Canada. My company sent me to Canada for 2 1/2 years in 2004. I shipped my WRX to Canada and paid no duty and no tax, with the provision that the car eventually had to come out of Canada, i.e. it could not be sold in Canada. It was retitiled in Nova Scotia (C$160) and it had to go through the normal inspection process for the province. No problem there.

Bringing it back was easy as it was a US spec vehicle. When I got it back to TX I just had it retitled as a TX vehicle. A bit of paperwork, but not too bad.

I think a creative mind who could drum up an acquaintenance with a Yank coming to Canada temporarily could work the system to import a vehicle into Canada for its useful life. Once its titled in Canada you are home free as it is treated just like a Canadian spec vehicle. It was even covered under warranty and recall events. When its time to sell just drive it over the border, retitle it in the US, and sell it.

Making the connection on someone going to Canada is the tough part.
Old 01-12-07 | 08:17 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Agree it is too much hassle for a permanent resident. However, it is feasible for anyone who can get on a temporary resident status to Canada. My company sent me to Canada for 2 1/2 years in 2004. I shipped my WRX to Canada and paid no duty and no tax, with the provision that the car eventually had to come out of Canada, i.e. it could not be sold in Canada. It was retitiled in Nova Scotia (C$160) and it had to go through the normal inspection process for the province. No problem there.

Bringing it back was easy as it was a US spec vehicle. When I got it back to TX I just had it retitled as a TX vehicle. A bit of paperwork, but not too bad.

I think a creative mind who could drum up an acquaintenance with a Yank coming to Canada temporarily could work the system to import a vehicle into Canada for its useful life. Once its titled in Canada you are home free as it is treated just like a Canadian spec vehicle. It was even covered under warranty and recall events. When its time to sell just drive it over the border, retitle it in the US, and sell it.

Making the connection on someone going to Canada is the tough part.
We have something similar in Mexico. When I came down here, I had to enter my vehicle on a tourist visa, pick up my FM3 work permit, then transfer the permit to my FM3. As long as my work permit is good, my vehicle is ok to be here, otherwise I have 30 days to get it and my butt out of the country unless I get an extension.

So many people bring in vehicles illegally and occasionally have amnesties. However, it is WAY BETTER to keep the vehicle titled back in Florida as to nationalize it is not possible given the year (selling it is illegal and really not adviseable as you can get deported), and even when one can, you pay double in insurance and an annual car tax that can run into the hundreds of dollars called a tenencia.

Seems Canada has a much better system.