IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Questions on TOMS's Lexus ISX50 parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 02:07 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on TOMS's Lexus ISX50 parts

I have some questions about TOM's lower front brace, lower rear brace, and rear lower suspension 6-link.

1. Not knowing to much about suspension/handling, what exactly do these parts do?

2. I know what strut bars and sway bars do, but are these the same?

3. Will my IS 350 handle that much better with these 3 things on?

TIA
Old 01-04-07, 07:09 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

64 views and no replys? I am willing to be the guinea pig on this but I need a little help from yall
Old 01-04-07, 07:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowssm
I have some questions about TOM's lower front brace, lower rear brace, and rear lower suspension 6-link.

1. Not knowing to much about suspension/handling, what exactly do these parts do?

2. I know what strut bars and sway bars do, but are these the same?

3. Will my IS 350 handle that much better with these 3 things on?

TIA
1) The chassis braces stiffen up the chassis from flex. Perfect if you plan to track/race your car for competition. Not really practical for everyday driving.

2) Strut bars stiffen up the chasses between the shock/strut towers...essentially stiffens the upper body as the chassis braces take care of the lower body. Sway bars stiffen up your suspension to reduce roll or body lean. You can read more about body roll/sway bar function here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

3) Not necessarily.

Remember, having the stiffest suspension isnt the best. You cannot defy the laws of physics. It's actually good to have some body roll and suspension give in order for you to control the dynamics of your vehicle in hard or evasive driving. An overstiff suspension can cause you to snap-oversteer, loose traction to your tires and cause you to flip or roll the vehicle in to the side. The key to a good balanced suspension is maximum tire contact patch to the ground in any situation.
Old 01-04-07, 08:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,422 Posts

The bracing is intended to stiffen the chassis at multiple points. Whether you'll notice a difference or not depends a lot on your driving. If you are autocrossing, it might make a significant difference. If you are just charging around on-ramps, maybe not.

This isn't a bling mod at all, it's purely performance oriented. There is a weight penalty included. For my money, I'd rather spend the same amount of cash on a performance driving school. It's ultimately worth more unless you're already a national calibre autocrosser/road racer.
Old 01-04-07, 08:20 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yellowssm
64 views and no replys? I am willing to be the guinea pig on this but I need a little help from yall
Hell I would love to be the guinea pig if I can get my hands on one. Sold out everywhere I look.