IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sway bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 06:40 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar ?

Tried searching here and google.. I cannot find an aftermarket performance rear sway bar. Anyone know if one has been manufactured?

Need one for the IS350

I would like to remove some of the body roll that my LUX model experiences.

James
Old 01-05-07, 08:30 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eibach site has one for the IS.
Old 01-05-07, 08:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Eibach has listed a part number for their sway bar set for many months, but I don't think it was ever actually released.
Old 01-05-07, 09:17 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

not released yet. prob wont be out till late spring per my phone conv with them last month
Old 01-05-07, 10:56 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
not released yet. prob wont be out till late spring per my phone conv with them last month
Thanks guys,

As long as I know someone is working on it, I'm good. I believe it will help tremendously with the slight amount of body roll that is present in the LUX model. Perhaps iw will cure some of the understeer as well.

James
Old 01-05-07, 10:57 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

as soon as i have word/part numbers built for that kit here at work i'll let the board know
Old 01-05-07, 11:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

JMHO, but I think you'd be better off starting with stiffer springs than adding roll bar. At least, I'd try that before adding more anti-roll in the rear. Springs are first line defense against roll, but even with the lux package I wouldn't say the roll is excessive. FWIW, the sport suspension does not change the roll bars, only springs and shocks. I can think of lots of reasons for not wanting stiffer roll bars too.
Old 01-05-07, 11:58 AM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
JMHO, but I think you'd be better off starting with stiffer springs than adding roll bar. At least, I'd try that before adding more anti-roll in the rear. Springs are first line defense against roll, but even with the lux package I wouldn't say the roll is excessive. FWIW, the sport suspension does not change the roll bars, only springs and shocks. I can think of lots of reasons for not wanting stiffer roll bars too.
I don't think the roll is excessive, just more than I would like. I want to go with the roll bar versus the springs (initially at least) so that I don't make the ride any more firm, just remove some roll. I am not pretending to be a suspension guru at all. I like the firmness I have now, sure I could stand it a little firmer, but I kinda want to see what a roll bar would do.

As far as springs, I like the firmness of the LUX springs... I hate the front wheel gap, I might look into a custom designed spring with small drop to even the wheel wheels and a VERY small increase in spring load....maybe 2-5%.

James
Old 01-05-07, 12:00 PM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
as soon as i have word/part numbers built for that kit here at work i'll let the board know
Thank you... I would appreciate that!

James
Old 01-05-07, 12:18 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A larger bar in the rear would help slightly as far as roll goes. However, it is a double-edged sword. The factory rear bar is tuned to the overall balance and dynamics of the car. Changing it without changing anything else would screw up that balance. A larger rear bar WILL induce oversteer and in so doing will keep your VDIM really busy. I'd go with springs and shocks, first.
Old 01-05-07, 12:30 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If the rear bar was big enough without being too big, then it might calm VDIM down a bit. This car has an excessive amount of understeer IMO.
Old 01-05-07, 12:34 PM
tsitalon1
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gernby
If the rear bar was big enough without being too big, then it might calm VDIM down a bit. This car has an excessive amount of understeer IMO.
I Agree! but since the damn vbulletin says my post is too short I put this crap in.
Old 01-05-07, 01:36 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you (or anyone else) goes with anti-roll bars, try to get a pair that are adjustable with the softest setting just slightly stiffer than stock.

A little change will make a difference you can feel.

Also remember that going with stiffer bars may make the car feel a lot flatter. However, that increased roll stiffness may be coming at the price of reducing your overall grip (as the benefits of the car's independent suspension are reduced at the same time.) In addition, you're going to notice that speedbumps and angled driveway entrances will feel much bigger than they are.
Old 01-05-07, 04:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Exactly my point. 10 percent stiffer springs won't be too noticeable in terms of ride quality, but they'll be immensely helpful with roll. Keep in mind too, if you lower the car, your roll problem will get bigger because your roll center will drop in relation to the center of gravity and increase the roll couple. Increasing the roll couple is like handing a long wrench to your suspension so smaller inputs will induce the same roll as you experience with the OEM settings.

Apparently Toyota thinks a 10mm drop in front (only) doesn't upset all their design work. I'd be really surprised if anything more didn't increase roll significantly for the same cornering load.

And just as was previously stated, stiffer roll bars just take the independence away from your independent suspension.
Old 01-05-07, 07:41 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Carson Toyota carries the best body reenforcement components you can find. It is made by Tom's and goes around 1,300 (hey, it is $$$$ JDM part).

Just ask for Gordon or Steve to help you.

But I don't think anyone needs it. <--my opinion only

Carson Toyota: http://www.l-tunedparts.com

Tom's Japan site:
Click on IS45 on the left hand side..
http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/comp/f070m/index.html

God bless your bucks!

Quick Reply: Sway bar ?