IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Car Issues and Resolutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07 | 08:02 AM
pframoton
Driver School Candidate

Default New Car Issues and Resolutions

Have you recently bought a brand new IS? Was the car not in the condition you expected? If yes, this thread is for you. We can talk about the issues and the resolution tactics.

I just purchased a brand new IS 350 (Obsidian). When I went to pick-up the car, I noticed a big scratch on the hood and one on the dashboard. This should have been obvious to the dealer as well, but was not. Since this was a brand new car, I was clearly irrated and did not pick up the car unless the problems were fixed.

My question is what will the dealer do? I am guessing they will buff the exterior to fix those scratches. Not sure what they will do to the interior besides changing the scratched portions. If they cannot fix it, what are my options? Do I just grin and bear it or can I do something about it. The car has been paid for.
Old 01-06-07 | 08:14 AM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Well paying for the car and not accepting delivery is two different things. You have three choices have them fix your car the way you want it, give you a discount or get you another car, or go somewhere else Whoops i think that's four. Anyway good luck it's in your corner.
Old 01-06-07 | 08:38 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

How deep is the scratch? If it is very deep, they will have to repaint the area and you do not want to diminish the value of your car before it leaves the lot. Demand a new car or go to another dealership. Which dealership was it by the way?
Old 01-06-07 | 09:12 AM
sk72
Pole Position

I would suggest the same... go for a different car
Old 01-06-07 | 10:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Is the scratch on the hood deep enough to catch your fingernail? If so, pass on the car. If no, then they should be able to buff it out without too much difficulty. If the exterior scratch buffs out, the inside is easy, just have them replace the damaged piece.
Old 01-06-07 | 10:15 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
How deep is the scratch? If it is very deep, they will have to repaint the area and you do not want to diminish the value of your car before it leaves the lot. Demand a new car or go to another dealership. Which dealership was it by the way?
I don't agree with the repainting diminishing the value of the car unless it is a real hack job, if the person doing the repair is worth anything at all you will never be able to tell the difference.
Old 01-06-07 | 10:24 AM
Axvel
Driver

Even if you submitted payment for the car, and didnt drove it off the lot, then you can get your refund easily and go somewhere else. There is a thing that not alot of people know, you can sing all the papers you want, and make all the payments, but if the car was not driven off the dealers lot by you there was no deal. Thats why all of them want you to get out of the dealership as fast as possible.
If the scratch is stoping you then go to another dealer. Chances are you will find a better car.
If they are willing to fix the damages in a TIMELY MANNER and offer discount not less than 10% than i would wait for it.
Old 01-06-07 | 11:17 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by l1tech
I don't agree with the repainting diminishing the value of the car unless it is a real hack job, if the person doing the repair is worth anything at all you will never be able to tell the difference.
Any time I've ever sold a car, either privately or as a trade in, I've always been asked whether any panels have been repaired or repainted. If you answer "yes", you aren't likely to get top dollar for the car, no matter how good it looks.
Old 01-06-07 | 11:41 AM
9520G
Lead Lap

When I picked up my car from Ray Catena mine had a scratch on the quarter panel, I made them aware of it and they were willing to give me a new car on the spot but since I have the 6spd. I would have to wait so they just buffed it out and I couldn't even tell the difference.
Old 01-07-07 | 09:06 AM
pframoton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post everybody.

Here is what I did. First, the Lexus dealer is one in the Northern Suburbs close to chicago - starts with a B. They will take the car into have it fixed and it will be ready on Tuesday. If on Tuesday, it looks like a hack job or if I am not satisfied, I will ask for a different car or a large discount. The scratch is pretty obvious. If I run my finger over it, I can feel it so I suspect it is a little bit deeper that I would have liked. Fortunatey, I did not drive the car off the lot, but unfortunately I paid for it so getting my money back might be a hassle. How many dealers would like to have a sure deal slip away.

Should I ask for a cash discount - if so how much? Or should I ask for 2-4 free services? Finally, would threathing to complain to Lexus Corp. do anything at all or would it not matter?

I will post an update next week.
Old 01-07-07 | 10:06 AM
rhsmd
Driver

i don't understand what you mean by your having paid for the car before taking delivery.
i've never given a dealer a nickle without first inspecting the car first.

i had a simolar issue. i got a call from my dealer a few weeks ago that my car was in and i set up a time for pick up. 20min latrhe calls to tell me about damage to the hood from snow shoveling.
i said get a new car. period.
Old 01-07-07 | 05:40 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Any time I've ever sold a car, either privately or as a trade in, I've always been asked whether any panels have been repaired or repainted. If you answer "yes", you aren't likely to get top dollar for the car, no matter how good it looks.

IMO this is just a ploy used by dealerships to low ball people on the trade in value of the car. If there was no structural damage to the car who cares
Old 01-09-07 | 06:33 PM
pframoton
Driver School Candidate

Angry It gets worse

So they sent my car to the body shop to buff out the scratches. That made matters worse because I could see more of them. Also, the dust from the body shop was all inside the car, on the seat, the vents etc. There were also black scuff marks on the Casheme carpets. Finally, the dashboard was still scratched. Totally unacceptable which I said it was. I was then told, by a very rude general manager, that I was very hard to satisfy and that they would give me my money back. The sales manager (who was the opposite of the genral manager) apologized to me and at that point I just wanted to get out of that dealership and asked for my money back. They never even offered to give me a new car that was not damaged.

I finally got my check today and will be going to the local BMW dealer to look at those highly rated 330xi's and spend my money there. I don't even feel like complaining to Lexus about this because it won't solve anything. Truly dissapointed.
Old 01-09-07 | 06:56 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Originally Posted by pframoton
So they sent my car to the body shop to buff out the scratches. That made matters worse because I could see more of them. Also, the dust from the body shop was all inside the car, on the seat, the vents etc. There were also black scuff marks on the Casheme carpets. Finally, the dashboard was still scratched. Totally unacceptable which I said it was. I was then told, by a very rude general manager, that I was very hard to satisfy and that they would give me my money back. The sales manager (who was the opposite of the genral manager) apologized to me and at that point I just wanted to get out of that dealership and asked for my money back. They never even offered to give me a new car that was not damaged.

I finally got my check today and will be going to the local BMW dealer to look at those highly rated 330xi's and spend my money there. I don't even feel like complaining to Lexus about this because it won't solve anything. Truly dissapointed.
Don't expect anything different at your bmw dealer... All dealers suck, especially "luxury" dealers like bmw, mercedes, and lexus who don't need "your" business... I can give you "honor" and "horror" stories from any dealership...

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your new purchase!
Old 01-09-07 | 07:04 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pframoton
You did the right thing. No reason not to expect a new car to be delivered in pristine condition, and the dealer treated you poorly. I'm not sure why you aren't just going to a different Lexus dealer, though. It's not the car manufacturer's fault - if anything, Lexus tries harder than most to encourage their dealers to provide quality customer service.

Quick Reply: New Car Issues and Resolutions