ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

woot another manual!
Old 01-07-07, 10:15 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

nicee!! i wish i got nav =(. but its good to see another is250 6speed! =)
Old 01-08-07, 12:27 AM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wahoo! yay! 6 speed! exactly what i wouldve gotten too with the same package but in white.. im an impatient person and just couldnt wait for a special order hah
Old 01-08-07, 05:44 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mail_junky
How do you like the stick? I think some members here complained that the engine tends to hang on to the RPM between shifts... Is that true?
Originally Posted by chuckler
as for the rpms...i don't really understand what the others were talking about...they seem fine to me..it drops between shifts like any other car but for me i tend to leave my foot on the gas a lil so it stays or goes up a lil bit when i shift...hehe...maybe someone can explain further plz??
It's not really very noticeable when the engine is new and so tight. Once it breaks in, you'll notice it. And you'll hate it. The revs will hang in between shifts for an excruciating amount of time. You'll find out just how bad it is when people behind you just about rear-end your car as you go from 1st to 2nd gear leaving a stoplight. Rev...clutch in...wait...wait...wait...wait...car behind you is now removing paint from your rear bumper...wait, shift to 2nd...wait...wait....wait...clutch out, accelerate again...

You'll find out soon enough.

Otherwise, congrats on the new car
Old 01-08-07, 07:16 AM
rroy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ff_
It's not really very noticeable when the engine is new and so tight. Once it breaks in, you'll notice it. And you'll hate it. The revs will hang in between shifts for an excruciating amount of time. You'll find out just how bad it is when people behind you just about rear-end your car as you go from 1st to 2nd gear leaving a stoplight. Rev...clutch in...wait...wait...wait...wait...car behind you is now removing paint from your rear bumper...wait, shift to 2nd...wait...wait....wait...clutch out, accelerate again...

You'll find out soon enough.

Otherwise, congrats on the new car
I got use to it, and can shift through the gears quite fast when needed. Even with all the complaints about the lexus manual, I became use to it, now enjoy it, and would much rather drive the manual than the auto IMO.
Old 01-08-07, 11:05 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rroy
I got use to it, and can shift through the gears quite fast when needed. Even with all the complaints about the lexus manual, I became use to it, now enjoy it, and would much rather drive the manual than the auto IMO.
As a person that hates to see the manual transmission becoming extinct in the US, I'm glad to hear you say that. The more people we can get back on the stick bandwagon through educating about its many advantages over the slushomagictippytronic transmission, the better the chances are that mfg's will start making them more available again.

Note that engaging the next gear before the revs match will result in wearing out your clutch very prematurely. You can bypass the rev hang by shifting as fast as you want, but if you're going through new clutches every 15K miles, is it worth it?
Old 01-08-07, 11:33 AM
chuckler
Driver

ohhhh i see...i do find that a lil annoying that it doesn't go down as fast as other cars...haha perhaps i'll make a change to a lighter flywheel or something

at the moment though..i wanna get a short shifter really really bad...cuz them throws are long as ****
Old 01-08-07, 11:37 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckler
at the moment though..i wanna get a short shifter really really bad...cuz them throws are long as ****
If you find a SSk for the IS, let me know (I've never been able to find one). I'd love to have something that shortens the throws and makes the shifter feel less sloppy.
Old 01-08-07, 01:28 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
If you find a SSk for the IS, let me know (I've never been able to find one). I'd love to have something that shortens the throws and makes the shifter feel less sloppy.
Contact B&M, they make short shifters for numerous applications. I have contacted them already but they said they needed proof there was a large enough market for them to incur the research and production costs of making one, so the more people that contact them hopefully they'll decide to make one. Or, if one of Club Lexus Vendors could persuade a manufacturer to prodcue one that would be great too.
Old 01-08-07, 11:24 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Congrats!
I remember 2 months ago, when I was diying to buy IS250 manual. Due to its limited availability, I gave up and picked up an AWD Auto after the dealer told me that the wait time is 4 months with full MSRP.
Anyways, enjoy your new ride.
Old 01-08-07, 11:40 PM
Fedor
Driver School Candidate

Since we're all on the subject, has anyone figured out what is the cause of the hanging revs?
Old 01-08-07, 11:58 PM
6MTIS250
Driver

i think the Clutch feel like AE86
Old 01-09-07, 06:54 AM
chuckler
Driver

Originally Posted by Fedor
Since we're all on the subject, has anyone figured out what is the cause of the hanging revs?
i think its cuz your foot is on the gas a lil when you disengage the clutch...if you take ur foot off the gas and press the clutch in...the revs will just drop

but i also find it a lil annoying the the revs don't drop as fast as say the gsr...

Old 01-09-07, 07:01 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fedor
It's for emissions control. Snapping off the gas in between shifts causes a small amount of unburned fuel to be dumped through the combustion process, and ultimately out the end of the tailpipe.

I think Lexus takes it even further than is necessary to give the driver the impression that it feels smoother, and maybe even helps the [really really really] slow shifters get into the next gear in time to match revs.
Old 01-09-07, 01:16 PM
Fedor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ff_
It's for emissions control. Snapping off the gas in between shifts causes a small amount of unburned fuel to be dumped through the combustion process, and ultimately out the end of the tailpipe.

I think Lexus takes it even further than is necessary to give the driver the impression that it feels smoother, and maybe even helps the [really really really] slow shifters get into the next gear in time to match revs.
Is this something that can potentially be "fixed"?

Quick Reply: the wait is over...my IS250 MT