IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damn near totaled my car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 07:18 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, knowing that the roads were wet, and having new tires shouldnt constitute trying to maneuver a move like you did. if the guy in the honda didnt let you over, than you should have just slowed down. im sure he would not pace you if you had slowed down and signaled over. just my .02 cents
Old 01-06-07, 07:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

being two lanes over before your exit in that weather condition was the main mistake
Old 01-06-07, 07:24 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Sometimes it's just that attitude that's the problem. I'm not questioning weather you are or not, but believe me when I say there are more than a handful of youngsters who think that, and it's far from the truth more often than not.
the attitude is not a problem. im just stating a fact, or opinion. i dont think im the best out there, but ive become the cheuffer of the family. i drive everywhere now and i take over that position from my parents.

your view is kinda like my parents. years of driving does not equal better driving skills. are you telling me theres no possible chance that young people can be good drivers?
Old 01-06-07, 07:30 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
are you telling me theres no possible chance that young people can be good drivers?
I said nothing of the sort, infact I specifically said that I was NOT questioning your specific driving abilities.

I was simply stating that a lot of younger drivers think they're better than they really are.
Old 01-06-07, 07:32 PM
RXSF

Sometimes it's just that attitude that's the problem. I'm not questioning weather you are or not, but believe me when I say there are more than a handful of youngsters who think that, and it's far from the truth more often than not.
but we are! jkjk i know im being defensive here and all. im just a rowdy teenager. back to the topic now...
Old 01-06-07, 07:48 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

i think the better question here would be, why didnt the computer save you. why did the winter tires feel like they were oiled down.
If the tires were truly brand new, they would still have mold release on them.

The computer cannot defy the laws of physics, or make use of traction that isn't there.
Old 01-06-07, 07:50 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with RXSF. I'm 17, and i have gotten myself into no trouble with my IS. I love the car, and respect it way more than any of my family members ever could. Like RXSF, i've also slowly become the one person who drives everywhere...and so even though you may be right to say that " some" teenagers think they are better than they really are, lets not generalize.
Old 01-06-07, 07:59 PM
RXSF

your honor, i wish to be tried separately!
Old 01-06-07, 08:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Yeah, we all felt like that when we were 17. Fortunately we've lived long enough now to realise we were often foolhardy and damned lucky more often than not.

Besides, there are many ways you can describe being a good driver. It means two completely different things to your friends at the go-kart track and to your insurance company.

We older folks recognise car control skills develop over years, not months. If you said, "I've been racing karts (or 1/4 midgets) since I was 6" then in all likelihood your car control skills are pretty sharp, and you have 11 solid years of practice. It still doesn't mean your insurance company thinks your a good driver.

We older folks also know there will come a time when our car control skills will diminish and we'll no longer be safe on the road. Our insurance companies will say,"You're a great driver, you haven't been in an accident in 35 years." But again, it doesn't mean we're still safe behind the wheel.

Take it with a grain of salt. I might very well have done exactly what the OP did when I was 17. I distinctly recall a lesson on understeer in the snow when I was 17 in a MB 250, so I can really say I've been there. At 46, I now know what I should have done, and I'd do it without drama or having to extricate the leather from my pantseat when it is all over.
Old 01-06-07, 08:43 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

years of driving does not equal better driving skills.
Wrong. But I thought the same when I was too young to know better, and your kids will too.

Young people can be good drivers, but experience counts for a lot. I'm sure you're a safe driver - don't take this personally.
Old 01-06-07, 08:55 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

yeah no need to generalize. i'll just come out and say it. i'm absolutely positive that teenage drivers have neither the skills nor experience to be the best drivers on the road. it just simply isn't possible. flame me if you want but this might as well be a fact. the best thing you can do is live with it and learn over time and when you get "older" you'll think and say the same thing. i know i did.
Old 01-06-07, 09:15 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
James, this is in no way directed only at you, but posts like yours are the reason 16 year olds shouldn't have cars with 300+ hp. I'm sure you're a very responsible young man, and I'm sure you deserve the car, but 16 year olds need slow, safe, reliable cars. Hell, I had a slow car when I was 16 (less than 100 hp), and still managed to get into trouble.

I'm glad you're ok. Please be safe out there.
I was actually thinking the same thing myself, but I've had it in snow mode lately so it is a little slower (im still a little shaken up)...
Old 01-06-07, 09:16 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
"brand new winter tires" - maybe they're not scuffed in yet and still sporting the release compound on the tread.

bout' a thousand miles and 3 weeks worth of driving...
Old 01-06-07, 09:20 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
being two lanes over before your exit in that weather condition was the main mistake
its a long story on how the road was built, you cant get over earlier because there is somethign blocking it those 2 lanes until about 150yds before the road splits( i was as far left as i could be until i arrived here) down two 2 lanes then another 100yds till my exit on the far left. it was heavy traffic and i was doing my best to get over, it wasn't like I was trying to take my time...
Old 01-06-07, 09:48 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm buying my car and that's why I treat it with some respect. You might want to consider doing the same before you wipe yourself out and perhaps take someone like me with you.
The driving school sounds nice but I think after some of you complet it you'll think your even more infallible and really get in trouble...
Sorry, what's the point here kids never listen anyway as for the rest of us just be on guard and hope you see them coming and can get out of the way in time.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-07-07 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Drifting and rich kid comments were edited out.

Quick Reply: Damn near totaled my car yesterday...