IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damn near totaled my car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 10:05 PM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
I'm buying my car and that's why I treat it with some respect. You might want to consider doing the same before you wipe yourself out and perhaps take someone like me with you.
The driving school sounds nice but I think after some of you complet it you'll think your even more infallible and really get in trouble...
Sorry, what's the point here kids never listen anyway as for the rest of us just be on guard and hope you see them coming and can get out of the way in time.
I don't believe he drifted it on purpose. Even at 16, nearly killing yourself on purpose isn't something most people go for. I also don't believe this kid thinks he's infallible either. He also seems to be pretty shaken up so a lesson was probably learned here as well.

I don't think it's necessary to be this hostile to him. It was an accident, no one was hurt, and he was scared ****-less. He recognizes his mistake. Hopefully he has learned from it. He is human, like everyone else on this board.

As it was mentioned, 100hp can be enough to get you into trouble.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 01-07-07 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Edited out parts of quote that was moderated out in original post.
Old 01-06-07, 10:22 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by james6290
... it was heavy traffic and i was doing my best to get over...
Heavy traffic, couldn't get over, got it.

...there were not that many people there only the car that wouldn't let me over and a minivan...
So which is it?

It is the Internet, so maybe you just made the whole thing up for attention.
Old 01-06-07, 10:55 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Man, I love pissing contests on the internet.

Personally, I think the IS has changed my driving behavior. Its much less boy racer, and more "walk softly and carry a big stick."
Old 01-06-07, 11:12 PM
cpsmith516
Rookie

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Man, I love pissing contests on the internet.
ROFLMFAO!!!! I couldn't agree with you more. My uncle always says: (WARNING VERY NOT "PC" STATEMENT FOLLOWS) Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics; no matter what you're still a retard.

I love this forum, and I think the kid learned a valuable lesson from his encounter with drifting.

It's pompous idiots like Gtidan that make me want to shoot people.

Gtidan, you seriously need a reality check. The 16 year old probably drives better than you, and there is no need to hijack the thread and make personal attacks at him. He was merely trying to share his story with us, and perhaps looking for some support or encouragement; possibly even some pointers as to what NOT to do. Please put some serious thought into your next post, and then as your about to post it, reverse every adjective and verb on your post.

PS: find spell check before you try to insult someone and sound superior to them on the inter webs.
Old 01-06-07, 11:29 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of a couple of forums I've visited, I think this forum (probably only the 2IS section) has the most personal attacks. What's funny is that we have the same car, I thought we're supposed to be supporting each other. I'm confused. Can we just stop arguing about age and support each other? I am sick of opening threads that are full of these attacks.
Old 01-07-07, 12:07 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Question Stuff just doesnt add up.

No need to get personal, I have that car because my parents thought it was safe. If you actually read what I said he was matching me move for move. When I accelerated he did so, when I braked, he did so as well. I even went as far as going 30 in a 65 to try and get behind him but he matched me. As a last ditch resort, I knew my car was faster that his and I was going about 50 and accelerated to 55 to get around him and thats when it happened. I was not trying to show off, or make him feel bad or make my car look extremely fast. I went up 5 MPH in speed, quickly but in no way did I get up to 70 or 80 or anything that would constitute it as wreckless driving, nor claim that I thought I was "all that". Thats why in my write up I underlined "little" (gas) so cocky, pompous people like you understand what happened. Next time lets read a little closer, why don't we? As for the people I "almost killed", it never happened and never would have happened because there were not that many people there only the car that wouldn't let me over and a minivan who was talegaiting me. How about next time you accuse someone of nearly killing people, you actually read it first and understand what happened. I underlined that one just so you could understand what Im saying.

Why does it matter what the honda was doing? You shouldnt be playing games with him on a highway! Slowing down to 30 in a 65??? That's idiotic and wreckless (even though you claim nothing you did constitutes wreckless driving). Ignore the other Honda and if you miss your exit then oh well, you'll get the next one. You also mentioned in your original post that your car has drifted "thousands of times"... why???? Why are you drifting your car so much?

This is obviously a case of inexperience.

Hopefully you have learned your lesson and will become a better driver in the long run. Being a first year driver is much like being a starting Rookie QB in the NFL, you can have all the talent in the world, but nothing can substitute for experience.

I'm only 23 and it's amazing how much I've learned over the past 8 years. I've made some mistakes and learned from them. It's basically a killing field out there, everytime you start that engine you are putting yourself and everyone around you in danger. There is nothing anyone can do to avoid that. It's an inherent part of driving.

I'm glad your ok. Be sure to listen to what your elders have to say (especially the ones whom have offered their opinions on here). Their experience and knowledge is indispensable. Trust me, one day you'll realize they were right.

Last edited by Buds; 01-07-07 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 01:04 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been driving for about 6 years now. Permit @ 15 and I'm now 21. I'll admit I did some pretty stupid stuff back in the day lol. Everyone here....do not try to deny it, ok you know you did it too

It's funny though back then we all thought we were such good drivers lol. Some of my friends little brothers are staring to drive and I just laugh when they try to do something "cool". Such things including "drifting" in a FWD. No matter how many times I told them, I couldn't get it through their heads that what they were doing was called assdragging and not drifting . Then there was an incident where one of them was doing that through a neighborhood. Well obviously he was "doing great" until he understeered into a curb . We all b*tched him out and then told him to practice in a parking lot and not in the streets

Long story short, experience DOES matter no matter what anybody says about it. You cannot be an excellent driver within your first few years of driving. Experience also teaches you one very important thing...patitence. That's because impatitence is almost always the #1 cause of stupid(easily avoidable) accidents and wrecks. Oh yeah, also flooring a RWD in the wet is never a good idea no matter how good of tires or how good of a traction control system. I learned that the hard way a few times ....luckily I didn't hit anything.
Old 01-07-07, 01:50 AM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I'd watch out for GTIDan, with a handle like that, I'll bet he's a veteran of the 'vortex. Am I right? That place can get scary.
Old 01-07-07, 05:13 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I've been driving for about 6 years now. Permit @ 15 and I'm now 21. I'll admit I did some pretty stupid stuff back in the day lol. Everyone here....do not try to deny it, ok you know you did it too

It's funny though back then we all thought we were such good drivers lol. Some of my friends little brothers are staring to drive and I just laugh when they try to do something "cool". Such things including "drifting" in a FWD. No matter how many times I told them, I couldn't get it through their heads that what they were doing was called assdragging and not drifting . Then there was an incident where one of them was doing that through a neighborhood. Well obviously he was "doing great" until he understeered into a curb . We all b*tched him out and then told him to practice in a parking lot and not in the streets

Long story short, experience DOES matter no matter what anybody says about it. You cannot be an excellent driver within your first few years of driving. Experience also teaches you one very important thing...patitence. That's because impatitence is almost always the #1 cause of stupid(easily avoidable) accidents and wrecks. Oh yeah, also flooring a RWD in the wet is never a good idea no matter how good of tires or how good of a traction control system. I learned that the hard way a few times ....luckily I didn't hit anything.
Not to get mad at you, but as I have stated before to other people, I did not floor it in any way, I went up 5MPH in speed. But if people could get back to the point of the thread, why did my car shut off during the spin?
Old 01-07-07, 05:18 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dabigman
Heavy traffic, couldn't get over, got it.

So which is it?

It is the Internet, so maybe you just made the whole thing up for attention.
Yea not so much, you have to understand how this road is built. You have many people getting on to the highway and few people getting off where it breaks into a two lane section of the highway where it happened. There were many people merging onto the highway and just a few getting off. That is why it was hard to get over but once I got over one lane, I was in the get off, but needed to get over one more lane to get to my exit(the two lane road forks into two different exits, mine being on the far left). That is why I stated what I did, it is hard to tell you guys exactly how the road is layed out when you don't live where I do.
Old 01-07-07, 05:27 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Buds

Why does it matter what the honda was doing? You shouldnt be playing games with him on a highway! Slowing down to 30 in a 65??? That's idiotic and wreckless (even though you claim nothing you did constitutes wreckless driving). Ignore the other Honda and if you miss your exit then oh well, you'll get the next one. You also mentioned in your original post that your car has drifted "thousands of times"... why???? Why are you drifting your car so much?

This is obviously a case of inexperience.

Hopefully you have learned your lesson and will become a better driver in the long run. Being a first year driver is much like being a starting Rookie QB in the NFL, you can have all the talent in the world, but nothing can substitute for experience.

I'm only 23 and it's amazing how much I've learned over the past 8 years. I've made some mistakes and learned from them. It's basically a killing field out there, everytime you start that engine you are putting yourself and everyone around you in danger. There is nothing anyone can do to avoid that. It's an inherent part of driving.

I'm glad your ok. Be sure to listen to what your elders have to say (especially the ones whom have offered their opinions on here). Their experience and knowledge is indispensable. Trust me, one day you'll realize they were right.
I was in no way "playing games" with the honda. As I stated in my write up "was a little honda who followed my every move and it seemed like he didn't want to let me over." He slowed down when I did so and acceled when I did so, I was not trying to race him or toy around with him or anything. The reason my car has drifted a thousand time is because I live in a snowy area, and I was talking about what it does after a snow drift or a heavy rain. Sometimes it would just whip to the side a little bit if I would make any sudden movements. The other 990 times, was sarcasim. Thank you for the good wishes though.
Old 01-07-07, 06:06 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Note To Everyone: Please Get Back On Topic Of What Happened To My Engine, The Continued Debate Of Experience/inexperience And Teenager/adult Is Helping No One. Please Get Back On Topic Or The Mods Should Just Close This Thread. And Lets Quit With The Personal Attacks On Me And Other Members Contributing Towards This Thread.

And If You Are Going To Make Accusations, please Actually Read What I Said First...
Old 01-07-07, 09:13 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

James, sounds like you did a PIT/PITT maneuver on yourself (ever watch Cops?). I wouldn't worry about the engine. The brake light coming was most likely just the ABS/VDC indicator. 1K miles might still leave some of the treatment on the tire or some snow tires aren't great in rain, hence the traction issue

I think taking the driving course is a great idea, also gets your folks a discount on your insurance when you complete the class.

I'll weigh in as an old-timer having had my license for 20 years. There are no great drivers for about the first 6-7 years after people get their license. Experience makes for better judgement... but judgement doesn't help either group if they aren't coordinated and don't know how their car performs. This is just a general observation. If experience made up for everything, senior citizens would be the best drivers on the road.

Next time just miss the exit and take the next one. 99.9% of the time, what you're in a rush for isn't important enough to risk an accident and hurting yourself or others.

Chalk this up as a learning experience. Glad you and your IS are OK.

Last edited by tazdevl; 01-07-07 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 09:53 AM
chuckler
Driver

bah..shoulda woulda coulda...we've all been in the situation where we needed to squeeze into the exit...lets not draw out everything we should and could have done...cuz its all hindsight, there nothing you can do to prevent situations like this...its bound to happen.

how you react to it and handle the car is gained with experience case in point.

anyhow.......dude i've been in your situcation...i had spun on the highway a few times and yes it was my fault in one form or another any way i look it and i know exactly how i would have done things differently. i walked away from those days with a good lesson to add to under my belt and i am a better driver today.

so back onto the topic...i theorize the car shutting off is a safety feature...i've heard somewhere if a car goes out of control like that...the engine just kills itself to prevent damage that could have happened. OR maybe thats one of the things the vdim does in situations like that...hahaha i dunno...i'm just throwing stuff out there....

all in all...i think your car should be fine..just take it to the dealer have it checked out...also when you have the time...check ur "CV boots" for any tears and get it fixed soon so you don't have to fix your axles later on when you start to have clicking sounds when you turn.
Old 01-07-07, 10:05 AM
sk72
Pole Position

I would suggest you bring the car in to the dealer, explain the situation (make sure not to tell the exact thing case they are the masters of blaming). Let me know you tried merging on a wet condition and the car started drifting and all the #$##$$ things happen and now you have this light on.

Hopefully they will be able to run the car through some comp diag and let know what happenned.

Good Luck.. n thank god nothing happened to you and others and be careful on the rod buddy and trusts me we are all human beings and everybody makes a mistake..

NO MISTAKE = NO LEARNING enjoy your ride

Quick Reply: Damn near totaled my car yesterday...