IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damn near totaled my car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 10:07 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeez a feisty little one lol. I wasn't trying to insult or anything, just giving you a few pointers I've learned over the years. BTW: the IS350 has a lot of low end torque. Even 30-40% of the throttle is enough to induce wheelspin. I have a GS300 which has a weak sauce motor comared to yours and I need to get it to about 70% throttle in the rain to spin the tires. Also all these engine are throttle by wire. Where your foot actually is does not always mean the throttle plate is always at that position as well. You could have your foot 20% on the gas and maybe the ecu will open the throttle 30-40% if it detects a higher load on the engine. Anyways back on topic lol....

All lexus since about 98 or so have a few safety cutoffs. If it detects G-forces and yaw are way out of whack it will engage these cutoffs. One of those cutoffs are fuel pump shutoff, and with the newer lexus cars it will have the pre-collision system engage. I think you might of triggered the fuel cutoff if your spin was at a very high speed and you slowed down abruptly going sideways/backwards. Either way, have your car checked out at the dealer. Since it's stock and not modded, they will look at and fix anything on the car for you....for free

You should keep it that way too
The dealer won't even touch my car now lol

Last edited by JeffTsai; 01-07-07 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 11:03 AM
Soda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's so funny how some people jump on his case calling him "rich" cuz his parents got him an IS350!! LMAO! This isn't a rich persons car. Now if he had an M3 or something like that I could understand. But for a car that's in the 30-40k range... If I was rich I wouldn't be driving this car. This is one of the ENTRY LEVEL Lexus'. No one would say that if he was driving a GMC Yukon that costs the same or more. He made a mistake, LIKE WE ALL have! Just because he's young and has the same car we all have and we're older, doesn't mean you have to be rude.
Old 01-07-07, 11:06 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried resetting the ECUs by disconnecting the battery for about a minute? There are several ECUs that act together to make VDIM work, and may just need a reset. I suspect that you may have caused the engine / transmission to spin backwards at some point during the event. If the ECU reset doesn't clear everything up, then take it to Lexus. Actually, it may be a good idea to go by an AutoZone and ask them to check for any OBD-II codes before resetting the ECU. AutoZone does this for free.

I was about to post my teenage experiences, but figured it would just upset the youngsters further. I'm a HUGE believer in performance driving schools. It is the only safe way to find you and your car's limits; learn that you don't have nearly as much control as you think; and learn how to recover from a driving mistake. I've been autocrossing and "tracking" my cars at HPDEs for about 12 years, and I'm still learning.

To the member who posted earlier that a performance driving school would just encourage more irresponsible driving ... I think that is exactly backwards. A person's first performance driving school experience is ALWAYS a humbling one.
Old 01-07-07, 11:17 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by james6290
I was in no way "playing games" with the honda. As I stated in my write up "was a little honda who followed my every move and it seemed like he didn't want to let me over." He slowed down when I did so and acceled when I did so, I was not trying to race him or toy around with him or anything. The reason my car has drifted a thousand time is because I live in a snowy area, and I was talking about what it does after a snow drift or a heavy rain. Sometimes it would just whip to the side a little bit if I would make any sudden movements. The other 990 times, was sarcasim. Thank you for the good wishes though.
Your story is full of holes. You bash people for not reading your posts and then you go and admit to exaggerating things... You use bits and pieces of your post to respond to people to make yourself look better yet you leave out key points. YOU CLEARLY stated "I even went as far as going 30 in a 65 to try and get behind him but he matched me." If that's not playing games then I don't know what is.

One of these days your arrogance is going to make you a statistic.
Old 01-07-07, 11:35 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Soda
It's so funny how some people jump on his case calling him "rich" cuz his parents got him an IS350!! LMAO! This isn't a rich persons car. Now if he had an M3 or something like that I could understand. But for a car that's in the 30-40k range... If I was rich I wouldn't be driving this car. This is one of the ENTRY LEVEL Lexus'. No one would say that if he was driving a GMC Yukon that costs the same or more. He made a mistake, LIKE WE ALL have! Just because he's young and has the same car we all have and we're older, doesn't mean you have to be rude.
I'm not making any personal attacks against the OP about anything, but this statement is making me laugh. Check out the OP's photo gallery (in his sig). I suspect that it is approaching $45K-$50K. When I was in High School (late '80s), the "rich kids" were driving newish (used) Hondas and Mustangs. The ONLY kid that had a "new" car was the son of a Pontiac dealership owner, so he got a new Pontiac demo every few months.

Last edited by Gernby; 01-07-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 11:37 AM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm not making any personal attacks against the OP about anything, but this statement is making me laugh. Check out the OP's photo gallery (in his sig). I suspect that it might be approaching $45K-$50K. When I was in High School (late '80s), the "rich kids" were driving newish Hondas and Mustangs.
Same here (except late '90s). Those of us who were deemed "rich" drove Honda's or Tahoe's or Cherokees, there may have been one BMW but that was it. Times have changed!
Old 01-07-07, 12:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

How much do you think the stereo equipment in your trunk weighs? It looks pretty heavy, and may have contributed to the spin.
Old 01-07-07, 01:01 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buds
Your story is full of holes. You bash people for not reading your posts and then you go and admit to exaggerating things... You use bits and pieces of your post to respond to people to make yourself look better yet you leave out key points. YOU CLEARLY stated "I even went as far as going 30 in a 65 to try and get behind him but he matched me." If that's not playing games then I don't know what is.

One of these days your arrogance is going to make you a statistic.
Wow, you are the definition of a pompous 40 year old know it all who think you are king and no one can match your intelligence, people like you need to be kicked off this website. Im sorry if you could not pick up that me saying my car has drifted a thousand times was sarcasm, I thought people with half a brain could pick up on that one. Please explain some of these holes in my story, because I can not find any. Also, I dont see how going 30 to get behind someone is "playing games" maybe an extremem measure, but I was not having fun or expecting to do this. I think your definition of playing games is pretty loose. Incase you still didn't pick it up after I underlined it many times, this man either did not want to let me over or was just by coincidence matching my moves to let me over (which didn't work). Hope this explanation clears things up for people like you.

P.S. Lets think to ourselves, I went 35 under the speed limit to get behind him and you are getting upset, if I would have gone 35 over, would that have been a better choice? Let's get back to the point of the thread, it has become so jumbled up.
Old 01-07-07, 01:02 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

How much do you think the stereo equipment in your trunk weighs? It looks pretty heavy, and may have contributed to the spin.
I thought of the same thing, but it doesn't way more than a passenger or two in the backseat and that would never cause a spin, IMO.
Old 01-07-07, 01:05 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Jeez a feisty little one lol. I wasn't trying to insult or anything, just giving you a few pointers I've learned over the years. BTW: the IS350 has a lot of low end torque. Even 30-40% of the throttle is enough to induce wheelspin. I have a GS300 which has a weak sauce motor comared to yours and I need to get it to about 70% throttle in the rain to spin the tires. Also all these engine are throttle by wire. Where your foot actually is does not always mean the throttle plate is always at that position as well. You could have your foot 20% on the gas and maybe the ecu will open the throttle 30-40% if it detects a higher load on the engine. Anyways back on topic lol....

All lexus since about 98 or so have a few safety cutoffs. If it detects G-forces and yaw are way out of whack it will engage these cutoffs. One of those cutoffs are fuel pump shutoff, and with the newer lexus cars it will have the pre-collision system engage. I think you might of triggered the fuel cutoff if your spin was at a very high speed and you slowed down abruptly going sideways/backwards. Either way, have your car checked out at the dealer. Since it's stock and not modded, they will look at and fix anything on the car for you....for free

You should keep it that way too
The dealer won't even touch my car now lol
My apologies. I wasn't trying to come off as mad, but with all the people getting off topic and me having already stated that, I was just a bit frustrated. Sorry if it came off as anything more.
Old 01-07-07, 01:14 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I thought of the same thing, but it doesn't way more than a passenger or two in the backseat and that would never cause a spin, IMO.
I think the equipment could easily weigh as much as a couple passengers (large inclosure, extra battery, 2 large caps, amps, and speakers all weigh significant amounts. Plus, it is all at or behind the rear axle which actually takes weight OFF the front axle and increases the moment of inertia. That's why rear engine cars are notoriously tail happy spin monsters.
Old 01-07-07, 01:19 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Something you might want to do to reduce the likelyhood of this happening again is to remove the rear sway bar and maybe even get a larger front sway bar when one comes available. This will help keep the rear tires planted.
Old 01-07-07, 01:27 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, you are the definition of a pompous 40 year old know it all who think you are king and no one can match your intelligence, people like you need to be kicked off this website. Im sorry if you could not pick up that me saying my car has drifted a thousand times was sarcasm, I thought people with half a brain could pick up on that one. Please explain some of these holes in my story, because I can not find any. Also, I dont see how going 30 to get behind someone is "playing games" maybe an extremem measure, but I was not having fun or expecting to do this. I think your definition of playing games is pretty loose. Incase you still didn't pick it up after I underlined it many times, this man either did not want to let me over or was just by coincidence matching my moves to let me over (which didn't work). Hope this explanation clears things up for people like you.

P.S. Lets think to ourselves, I went 35 under the speed limit to get behind him and you are getting upset, if I would have gone 35 over, would that have been a better choice? Let's get back to the point of the thread, it has become so jumbled up.
Actually I'm 23 so you are a little off... but you would have known that had you read my first post.

A cop could pull you over and give you a ticket for going 35 under the limit so yeah that was a stupid move.

Maybe one day you will learn your lesson, obviously this incident didn't teach you anything. Best of luck.
Old 01-07-07, 01:41 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buds
A cop could pull you over and give you a ticket for going 35 under the limit so yeah that was a stupid move.
A defensive driving instructor read off some interesting statistics regarding accidents in Texas years ago in a DD class and I've never forgotten it. Anyway, in Texas during the year the stats were generated, there were 10 times as many accidents attributed to people driving too slow when compared to those attributed to people driving too fast. The number of fatalities for those two categories were about equal. I always think about that when I pass someone on the highway cruising 10 MPH under the speed limit.
Old 01-07-07, 01:47 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

A defensive driving instructor read off some interesting statistics regarding accidents in Texas years ago in a DD class and I've never forgotten it. Anyway, in Texas during the year the stats were generated, there were 10 times as many accidents attributed to people driving too slow when compared to those attributed to people driving too fast. The number of fatalities for those two categories were about equal. I always think about that when I pass someone on the highway cruising 10 MPH under the speed limit.
My point exactly! Thank you for providing the facts. I do the same as you when I see a car cruising at slow speeds on the highway. I think we both know that 75 and the Tollway are like mini Nascar races and people who drive under the speed limit are a huge danger to everyone else around them.

Quick Reply: Damn near totaled my car yesterday...