IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damn near totaled my car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 02:10 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

i think james was saying 35mph lower as a point that he was trying to slow down and cross over. BOttom line: IF your listening, little honda driver! stop playing games with IS drivers! $#%@

now...the car shutting down most likely is a safety system. IF you note the stability controlon our cars, if it senses your going too fast (like in videos made from people at the Taste of Lexus Events), the car will basically not let you do any more accelerating and shut down for a brief moment until its safe again.

Your little spin (of a thousand times ) may have just been too much for the computer, and the best thing it probably thought of doing was shutting her down completely.

How did you get outa that one without any other car damage? who on earth would come out of their car and help you push it to the shoulder? your one lucky son of a gun!
Old 01-07-07, 02:23 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason your car may not have started back up right away is, you may have been shaken up and left the car in drive when you tried to restart it. I belive that you would have had to put the car in Nutral or Park first.
Old 01-07-07, 02:23 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
i think james was saying 35mph lower as a point that he was trying to slow down and cross over. BOttom line: IF your listening, little honda driver! stop playing games with IS drivers! $#%@

now...the car shutting down most likely is a safety system. IF you note the stability controlon our cars, if it senses your going too fast (like in videos made from people at the Taste of Lexus Events), the car will basically not let you do any more accelerating and shut down for a brief moment until its safe again.

Your little spin (of a thousand times ) may have just been too much for the computer, and the best thing it probably thought of doing was shutting her down completely.

How did you get outa that one without any other car damage? who on earth would come out of their car and help you push it to the shoulder? your one lucky son of a gun!
No car manufacturer would consider an engine shutdown to be a safety measure during a spin. Many spins are CAUSED by simply lifting off the throttle during a corner, and overcoming a spin involves proper throttle modulation. Engine shutdown would also cause a loss of vaccuum to the brake booster, and on most cars it would cause a loss of power steering (probably not the IS due to it being electronic).

I think the only possible causes for the engine shutdown would be either a VERY SERIOUS software problem or the rear wheels spinning backwards during some part of the spin (pretty common). This happened to me many times when I first started autocrossing. I eventually learned to disengage the clutch as soon as I knew the spin was unrecoverable.

Last edited by Gernby; 01-07-07 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 02:24 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buds
Actually I'm 23 so you are a little off... but you would have known that had you read my first post.

A cop could pull you over and give you a ticket for going 35 under the limit so yeah that was a stupid move.

Maybe one day you will learn your lesson, obviously this incident didn't teach you anything. Best of luck.
Well I would like to quit this little internet fight as quick as possible but I want to clear a few things up.
1) 23 is only 6 years older than I am (my birthday is coming very soon), so I highly doubt your the expert you are hoping to come off as. I am not saying you are a bad driver, but you hav e a long way to go before you learn everything, I just have a little longer.

2 )Yes a cop could give you a ticket for going that far under the speed limit under certain circumstances, none of which pertained to me. I was in the slow lane, during a rainy day (when the encourage you to go at least 5MPH under the speed limit), I was merging (so it was only for a few seconds) and there were no Minimum speed signs. It would have been one thing if it was a clear day and I was in the speed lane and not merging and I was cruising at 35MPH.

3) When they do have minimum speed signs:

It is usually 30MPH under the speed limit, so for this sign do the math -5 on each side to match my speed limit of 65 which would make the lowest minimum speed limit of 35 which I was going no slower than. In fact I might have been going around 40 I wasn't trying to stare at my speedo while merging. So even if my road had one of these, which it doesn't, I would not have been breaking any rules.

I hope this ends all the e-fights on this forum, we are supposed to be a community here at CL. This is a forum, not a debate, so lets all (including myself) stop all the personal attacks and try to help one another, that is the reason I posted this int he first place.
Old 01-07-07, 02:28 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexusNut13
The reason your car may not have started back up right away is, you may have been shaken up and left the car in drive when you tried to restart it. I belive that you would have had to put the car in Nutral or Park first.
You might be right, to be honest after it all happened I was so shaken up, and I needed to get to the shoulder so fast, I might have been in a rush, I can't quite remember that part well.
Old 01-07-07, 02:31 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

HAHA, to be honest i have no idea how I (let alone my car) got out of that without a scratch, clearly I had someone looking out for me that day. I don't know who the guy was in the car, but I was in the middle of the road, so he wasn't going anywhere until i moved so I guess he firgured i would be the best for us both if I moved.
Old 01-07-07, 02:32 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

It may also explain why you saw all the lights light up. I think if you try to restart the car when the shifter is still in drive, you will see a bunch of warning lights come up, and it should start dinging. I haen't tried it, but I think that is wha will happen, perhaps someone else can comment.
Old 01-07-07, 02:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Sounds likely about the restart, but why the stall in the first place? It's not a manual, so you don't need both feet in, just one foot on the brake.

The only thing that makes any sense is the reverse direction while in a forward gear, or VDIM determining the car is in a spin and doing something.

AFA the brake light coming on under hard stops, that could be completely unrelated, but there is a sensor in the brake fluid reservior for low level. It starts showing up under hard braking.

And Gernby's point about all the stereo gear in the trunk is a good one. It upsets the static balance because it's behind the rear axle and makes the car more prone to spinning.
Old 01-07-07, 02:49 PM
RXSF

Engine shutdown would also cause a loss of vaccuum to the brake booster,
well actually, if the car stalls, it says in the manual that it have three steps on the brake before the vaccuum is used up. i highly think it was the VDIM. It makes sense to me to shut down the car. again with my example with the regular stability control. It will shut down your car for a brief second in order for it to regain control. Same thing, but more severe happened here.
Old 01-07-07, 02:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

And that's true if you don't already have the brake on under normal conditions. If you stall with the brake applied, you're going to lose vacuum assist a whole lot quicker.
Old 01-07-07, 03:04 PM
RXSF

wait for straighten out the whole thing, was the car off during the spin? perhaps it wasnt, until it stopped. we dont know, and probably james doesnt either seeing how it probably happened in two tenths of a second.

i think we can use mercedes's quote about technology,

"no system, regardless of how sophisticated, can overcome physics or correct careless driving"
Old 01-07-07, 03:05 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well actually, if the car stalls, it says in the manual that it have three steps on the brake before the vaccuum is used up. i highly think it was the VDIM. It makes sense to me to shut down the car. again with my example with the regular stability control. It will shut down your car for a brief second in order for it to regain control. Same thing, but more severe happened here.
I don't believe that there will be 3 power assisted brake sessions after a stall, since I've never gotten more than 1 when I restart my car (and it doesn't start). The pedal feels like a rock on the 2nd start attempt. It's easy to test. Just shut your motor off, then see how many times it takes for you to press the brake pedal before it gets really stiff.

If it makes since to you that shutting down the engine during a spin is a favorable idea, then you probably don't understand the requirements of spin control. In some cases, MORE throttle is needed to overcome a spin. A little time at a performance driving school would make it clearer. It is also important to note that the rev / speed limitter is NOT an engine shutdown.

Last edited by Gernby; 01-07-07 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 03:09 PM
RXSF

i usually get three when the car is off. Done it many times.

fine, ill just pull outa of the conversation
Old 01-07-07, 03:19 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by james6290
Well I would like to quit this little internet fight as quick as possible but I want to clear a few things up.
1) 23 is only 6 years older than I am (my birthday is coming very soon), so I highly doubt your the expert you are hoping to come off as. I am not saying you are a bad driver, but you hav e a long way to go before you learn everything, I just have a little longer.

I hope this ends all the e-fights on this forum, we are supposed to be a community here at CL. This is a forum, not a debate, so lets all (including myself) stop all the personal attacks and try to help one another, that is the reason I posted this int he first place.
1)Never claimed I was an expert nor that I have learned everything there is about driving. I'd be the first to claim otherwise.

Guess we just need to agree to disagree and move on.
Old 01-07-07, 03:20 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Buds
1)Never claimed I was an expert nor that I have learned everything there is about driving. I'd be the first to claim otherwise.

Guess we just need to agree to disagree and move on.
Ill toast to that

Quick Reply: Damn near totaled my car yesterday...