Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james6290
Ill toast to that
Cheers!
Old 01-07-07, 04:38 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

hey james its all good man, fact is nobody is perfect and every driver makes a mistake here or there, REGARDLESS OF AGE.

btw I've driven through ohio and most of the drivers out there are very rude, they don't let anyone in on the highway and basically drive like a$$holes on the road. Unfortunately they don't have special ohio driving schools.

I live in Jersey and have the same crap here. People are rude even if they're not driving and when they have a car you're constantly dodging bullets. On the highways they speed up and try to block you if you try to change lanes. Don't even get me started on all the morons on their cell phones.

Brush it off man, no big deal, you didn't get hurt. But I am wondering why your VDIM didn't kick in, even with the new tires.

I thought it was spin - weight related...is it?
Old 01-07-07, 04:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Senior Moderator

Received 4,084 Likes on 2,475 Posts

No doubt VDIM did kick in, but it can't work miracles if there is no available traction.

I'd still like to know what caused the engine to stall.
Old 01-07-07, 05:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No doubt VDIM did kick in, but it can't work miracles if there is no available traction.

I'd still like to know what caused the engine to stall.
Wouldn't you expect the engine to stall if the transmission was forced to spin backwards at 50+ MPH? I assume that the kid had the brakes on, but the ABS was probably allowing the wheels to spin with the road, and I doubt the traction was so poor that the unthrottled engine could prevent the wheels from reversing.

I've never spun a car with an automatic before, but I've spun MANY manuals, and they always stall if the clutch is engaged. I would expect an automatic to do the same since the torque converter always maintains a significant "connection" when engaged in drive.
Old 01-07-07, 07:04 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ptmIS350
hey james its all good man, fact is nobody is perfect and every driver makes a mistake here or there, REGARDLESS OF AGE.

btw I've driven through ohio and most of the drivers out there are very rude, they don't let anyone in on the highway and basically drive like a$$holes on the road. Unfortunately they don't have special ohio driving schools.

I live in Jersey and have the same crap here. People are rude even if they're not driving and when they have a car you're constantly dodging bullets. On the highways they speed up and try to block you if you try to change lanes. Don't even get me started on all the morons on their cell phones.

Brush it off man, no big deal, you didn't get hurt. But I am wondering why your VDIM didn't kick in, even with the new tires.

I thought it was spin - weight related...is it?
Thanks for the comforting words, you seem to understand my situation perfectly. As for the driving schools, we do have one, not really close to me, but worth the drive for only 2 days.

http://www.midohio.com/school.aspx

It is pretty big here in ohio, I here the school is nice, I plan on taking the defensive driving coarse with my friend this summer. I cant wait!
Old 01-07-07, 07:10 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

What is the "defensive driving" school you are planning to take. Every defensive driving class I've taken (many of them) is just an 8 hour punishment in a classroom for getting a ticket. It's just a bunch of offenders sitting around listening to an instructor talk for 6-8 hours about how we need to quit speeding.
Old 01-07-07, 07:13 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Nevermind ... I noticed the link in your post. It looks like a really beneficial class! Great choice!
Old 01-07-07, 08:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
I think we both know that 75 and the Tollway are like mini Nascar races
lol...comment about 75 and tollway is so true haha
You need to join our DFW lexus group when you get your IS. We try to have a meet up every month or two. Are you in Plano, Dallas, Frisco, other?
Old 01-07-07, 08:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
You need to join our DFW lexus group when you get your IS. We try to have a meet up every month or two. Are you in Plano, Dallas, Frisco, other?
I've been wanting to attend one of those, but rarely ever check the regional forum for announcements. I thought someone was supposed to contact the DFW members via the mailing list...
Old 01-07-07, 09:12 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I'll definitely join once I get my IS. I'm expecting it around march. I currently reside a few minutes from the Galleria.
Old 01-07-07, 11:24 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad to see the last few pages has settled down and gotten back on topic. I saw a couple of posts in the middle that warrant moderating and will be going back to edit and delete those posts.

Keep it civil guys as the moderators will be watching this topic. No more personal attacks.
Old 01-23-07, 02:43 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey James, don't feel bad. I spun out on the highway last week too!
I wasn't so fortunate as you because I hit another car on the highway (my friends car!!! )

Lesson learned...bald high performance summer tires in the rain + cold weather = very very bad. I was just coasting along in a straight line at about 50-55mph on the highway, slightly under everyone elses speed and the rear end just came out. I hit a patch of water where there was a pothole and that was enough to unsettle the rear end. VSC didn't/couldn't do anything because there was no traction on the tires(bald summer tires ) when I spun. Luckily there was no serious damage to either of our cars and nobody got hurt, just a few scuffs and scratches on the cars. I hit him lightly right on the rim and a little bit on the rear bumper. I did a 360 on the highway and my friend did a 180. We ended up on opposite sides of the highway lol.
Old 01-23-07, 06:22 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Something you might want to do to reduce the likelyhood of this happening again is to remove the rear sway bar and maybe even get a larger front sway bar when one comes available. This will help keep the rear tires planted.

I hope you're joking with this. The sway bars control body movement and help keep the tires planted. Removing the rear one would leave you with the back end of the car being able to swing around wildly under manouvering.

Anyway, James, we've all been where you are - the fortunate of us have made our mistakes and lived to tell the tale. The less fortunate have totalled their cars or even worse. The important thing is to learn from this (and it sounds like you have) and remember that none of us are as good a driver as we like to think we are. We're all human and we all make mistakes. That's what my wife says about marrying me anyway.
Old 01-23-07, 07:26 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I hope you're joking with this. The sway bars control body movement and help keep the tires planted. Removing the rear one would leave you with the back end of the car being able to swing around wildly under manouvering.

Anyway, James, we've all been where you are - the fortunate of us have made our mistakes and lived to tell the tale. The less fortunate have totalled their cars or even worse. The important thing is to learn from this (and it sounds like you have) and remember that none of us are as good a driver as we like to think we are. We're all human and we all make mistakes. That's what my wife says about marrying me anyway.
I'm certainly not joking. The effects of sway bars aren't very intuitive. Putting a big sway bar up front will help the REAR tires stay planted better. Removing the rear sway bar will also help the rear tires stay planted better.
Old 01-23-07, 08:44 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I'm certainly not joking. The effects of sway bars aren't very intuitive. Putting a big sway bar up front will help the REAR tires stay planted better. Removing the rear sway bar will also help the rear tires stay planted better.
Without wanting to get into a boring debate on sway bars, do what you suggest and firstly the overspecced front sway bar will result in you losing the independence of your front suspension with movement on one side being transmitted across to the opposite side creating an uncomfortable ride with the car tending to hop over bumps. The lack of rear sway bar will result in excess body roll leading to high loadings on your outside tire and none on your inner. You'll get a very sudden shift in weight to the outside and loss of the rear end. There's a reason all manufacturers fit sway bars and no performance car (that I know of and I stand to be corrected) does away with them.

Quick Reply: Damn near totaled my car yesterday...