IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damn near totaled my car yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 09:05 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Without wanting to get into a boring debate on sway bars, do what you suggest and firstly the overspecced front sway bar will result in you losing the independence of your front suspension with movement on one side being transmitted across to the opposite side creating an uncomfortable ride with the car tending to hop over bumps. The lack of rear sway bar will result in excess body roll leading to high loadings on your outside tire and none on your inner. You'll get a very sudden shift in weight to the outside and loss of the rear end. There's a reason all manufacturers fit sway bars and no performance car (that I know of and I stand to be corrected) does away with them.
I don't want to get into a debate about it either, but below is a quote from "Mr Wellwood's Handling Guide"

Generally, on a RWD vehicle, a larger sway bar is added to the front, and the rear sway bars is left alone or removed. This helps control body roll, yet allow the rear suspension compliance to reduce wheelspin on corner exit. Too much front sway bar can lift the inside wheel off the ground - this can hurt overall cornering ability.
I wouldn't want to do the above recommendation myself, since I think the car already has too much understeer. I just recommeded that people concerned about loosing traction in the rear can increase rear traction by removing the rear bar. If you disagree with this, then your just plain wrong.

BTW, there are many cars that don't have rear sway bars from the factory.
Old 01-23-07, 09:14 AM
KMRIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct by saying the ride quality will change but the fact is that going to a stiffer front sway bar will keep both tires flat through turns giving the car more of a stable feeling but will also make the car more pushy getting into the turns and most likely with out being able to adjust caster and camber the car will push existing the corner too. As far as the rear sway bar removing it will allow the weight to transfer from side to side easier and should give you more overall grip in the rear. I personally think you could also accomplish this with a spring rate and ride height change or even better a tire change and keep the rear sway bar.
Old 01-23-07, 09:16 AM
KMRIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
I don't want to get into a debate about it either, but below is a quote from "Mr Wellwood's Handling Guide"

I wouldn't want to do the above recommendation myself, since I think the car already has too much understeer. I just recommeded that people concerned about loosing traction in the rear can increase rear traction by removing the rear bar. If you disagree with this, then your just plain wrong.

Sorry you must have posted when i was typing...
Old 01-23-07, 12:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,054 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Mr. Wellwood's Handling Guide is pretty interesting. I've read a few of the tomes in his recommended reading list, plus a few others (because I was involved in mini-sprints, I spend a few bucks trying to figure out how to turn left consistently and it was a REAL education because you can do so much more when the axles aren't hard fixed to the chassis the way production cars are.)

I'm still wondering why no one seems to be interested in developing a matched springs/sway setup for the IS. It's really a shame the car isn't being raced in showroom stock classes. We'd have a lot more stuff available I'm sure.
Old 01-23-07, 12:13 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
If you disagree with this, then your just plain wrong.

I disagree! Mr.Wellwood needs a Government Health Warning attached to him because if you simply remove the rear sway bar off an IS without doing anything to stiffen up the springs you'll be disappearing off the highway trunk first at the first high speed bend.
Old 01-23-07, 12:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I disagree! Mr.Wellwood needs a Government Health Warning attached to him because if you simply remove the rear sway bar off an IS without doing anything to stiffen up the springs you'll be disappearing off the highway trunk first at the first high speed bend.
I'm sorry you feel that way.
Old 01-23-07, 11:43 PM
asdff
Driver School Candidate

if you compensated by counter-steering and the car snapped back, i'm going to say that when you felt the car begin to drift you lifted off the throttle causing the weight to transfer to the front wheels (moving weight from rear).

when the weight was transfered to the front of the car, and you were turning the wheel in the other direction, the front tires traction overcame those of the rear causing it to turn in that direction sharply.

techniques will vary for awd/rwd/fwd but when your car begins to drift it would be a bad idea in general to lift off the throttle because when the weight goes to the front, the car will go in the direction you have the wheel pointed.

there are lots of resources on the internet about driving techniques, it's always good to gain some new knowledge :thumbsup:

thankfully nobody was injured and that there were no collisions... stay safe out there

disclaimer: i did not read the entire thread, only the first page.