IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will TPMS Be Ok? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 07:05 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will TPMS Be Ok? (Pics)

TPMS is not compatible with my aftermarket wheels. The valvestem comes out from the middle of the hub and it turns 90 deg out. I've been looking at the TPMS and if I install it in place of the 90 deg valvestem, it looks that it can work.

One of the issue is how would I fill it with air being that it's in the middle of the hub? I went to the gas station and since the air nozzle is a flexible rubber hose, I'll be able to bend it and still fill the tire with air.

Will the TPMS valvestem clear the caliper? Yes, I measured and there is plenty of room.

The only concern I have is the TPMS will be perpendicular to the hub. It is designed to go on an angle so the sensor will be flat on the hub. In my case, it will be perpendicular to the hub so the sensor will be sticking out about .5" beyond the protection of the lips of the rim. Since the tires are low profile (235/35/19 and 275/30/19), I'm concerned the sensors might be crushed when I hit a bump. Or do you guys think there is enough space for protection?

This is the aftermarket valvestem.

TPMS
Old 01-06-07, 09:49 PM
illmike
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dont you just drop all 4 sensors in your spare tire? thats what i did since my wheels are not tpms compatable....
Old 01-06-07, 10:47 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put them in a preasurized canister.........
Old 01-07-07, 01:14 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Yes, I read all the posts and I thought about putting them in the spare tire, wheel barrow tire, or make a cannister out of PVC pipes (Sanwong's thread). I even thought about strapping them to the wheels. However I want a working TPMS that will stay on the wheels. Just wanted to see if what I want to do will work without damaging the TPMS. I guess people just don't want to chance it huh?

Last edited by Flipsonic; 01-07-07 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 08:34 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

sorry to disappoint but a lot of people here do not have the know-how/patience/will to do it.
Old 01-07-07, 09:33 AM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

May be you can drill another hole on the other side where it will not rub with anything. Check the clearance from the inner lip of the rims.
Old 01-07-07, 08:01 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

After some serious thoughts, I will just go with the cannister. My main concern is if I get a flat while on the road, the sensor will be crushed. So thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-07-07, 11:22 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

I like the benefits of the TPMS... have you thought about drilling? I think it's worth it if your wheels aren't TPMS compatible.
Old 01-08-07, 12:07 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
After some serious thoughts, I will just go with the cannister. My main concern is if I get a flat while on the road, the sensor will be crushed. So thanks for all the replies.
Oh yeah, i had a flat and it crushed my sensor and busted the valvstem off in the rim...... so i dont even really like them to begin with, its another 100 or more down the toilet....

I have been driving for many years without a TPMS and never had a problem, even with low profile tires etc.
its just vigilance that is nessacary for making sure your tire preasure is right. Check it weekly, or monthly. But i dont need a sensor to tell me my preasure is low.
I tried strapping the sensor to the wheel, but the problem is the sensor is not flat, it as you can see is an odd shape, thus making it hard for the metal band to hold it in place.
the canister was the way to go, its inexpensive and the idiot light is not on.
until they can make the multipeice wheel TPMS compatiable (i have lexions too) the canister is the way to go, its temporary until someone can create a better idea.
that is just me......

BTW, i perfected the size of the cansiter, its now smaller then a 1liter soda bottle and is nicely hidden.
Old 01-08-07, 05:09 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

wont work with a 90 deg valve stem like that. tried to get RoJA R2-5's with the same valve design and the sensors wouldn't work
Old 01-08-07, 07:46 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by teejnut
I like the benefits of the TPMS... have you thought about drilling? I think it's worth it if your wheels aren't TPMS compatible.
Unfortunately, drilling a hole will not work as the design of the wheel will not allow it. It is flat from the outer lip until almost to the other side. There is a spot well inside the rim but I would have to remove the tire and look if it's possible. I'll just leave that for another day.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 01-08-07 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-15-07, 10:04 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
....I have been driving for many years without a TPMS and never had a problem, even with low profile tires etc...
I agree with this comment, however I was rudely reminded why this is an important feature on cars for the non-enthusiast on Saturday evening. I was driving on a freeway in lane 1 (the left lane) and out of the corner of my eye, I see a complete tire tread rolling for the center divider. I braked hard (engaged ABS) to miss it and only narrowly succeeded while the idiot behind me veered toward the divider because he obviously had no idea how to brake hard in his raised 4x4 without hitting me (he didn't thankfully) - he came within inches of hitting the errant tire tread!

So while I'm avoiding the tire (it would have SERIOUSLY damaged my front end at 75 mph), checking my mirror to be sure I wouldn't get hit from behind, and scanning for additional hazards, I see a Ford pickup in lane 3 with the front left tire completely gone. Doubtless the driver was totally unaware the tire was flat until the sidewalls shredded and the tread lauched across the freeway.

So, I'm a total advocate of on-board tire pressure monitoring systems. It was sheer luck I wasn't 10 feet further down the road - had I been, I would be posting about how I lost my front bumper to someone's stupidity.
Old 01-15-07, 11:23 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

i agree with lobuxracer. before the IS i was driving on low-profile tires for a few years without any problems but the TPMS is just another nice safety feature to have. not necessary but nice to have.
Old 02-07-07, 05:31 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kilo6_one
put them in a preasurized canister.........
When you said a pressurized canister, can you explain more about what it is..? I don't know where to put the TPMS sensors.
Old 02-07-07, 05:52 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am facing the SAME battle, I don't know what to do...do you just put all 4 TPMS sensors in b/w the spare tire and wheel loose? I guess the thought is that you simply don't ever use the spare as all four would be loose in there...??? Unless of course you band all four into the spare... Am I missing something here guys?
Peter

Quick Reply: Will TPMS Be Ok? (Pics)