IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My navi guides me to suicide!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 08:55 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by homer4598
I disagree. Hacking the nav doesn't mean that you stop using common sense. Just because people want to be able to enter a destination when moving doesn't mean they are going to do that while traveling in pitch darkness or doing 60MPH in dense fog.
You’re assuming that all nav hackers have common sense. I would not go that far.

This burning desire to hack the nav system while voice commands are available (albeit a bit slower) tells me there’s some other motivation in play here.
Old 01-09-07, 10:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan
This burning desire to hack the nav system while voice commands are available (albeit a bit slower) tells me there’s some other motivation in play here.
The voice commands are not as powerful. One function I miss is the ability to enter a destination by name, e.g. the name of a restaurant.
Old 01-09-07, 10:59 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
The voice commands are not as powerful. One function I miss is the ability to enter a destination by name, e.g. the name of a restaurant.
Why not just give the command “I’m hungry”? It will bring up icons for all restaurants in the area, usually by type. Then by tapping the icon you like it will bring up its name and phone number. At that point you can hit the switch on the steering wheel to dial the number, and of course, get route guidance.
Old 01-09-07, 11:20 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Why not just give the command “I’m hungry”? It will bring up icons for all restaurants in the area, usually by type. Then by tapping the icon you like it will bring up its name and phone number. At that point you can hit the switch on the steering wheel to dial the number, and of course, get route guidance.
That's cool if I'm looking for a place to eat in an unfamiliar area. But a more common scenario is that I'm talking on my bluetooth cell phone to a friend who lives an hour away, and we pick a place to meet for dinner that's midway between us. So, I'll be driving on a limited access highway (like the Garden State Parkway) where you can't just pull to the side of the road, knowing that I need to get to a specific restaurant (e.g. Ruth Chris in Parsippany), and unable to enter it into my nav system. Quite frustrating...
Old 01-09-07, 11:37 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Well, you can always create a scenario where your requirements are not met. The nav system can’t do everything; but as designed, it can assure a measure of safety.
Old 01-09-07, 12:05 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The nav system can’t do everything; but as designed, it can assure a measure of safety.
Mine can do everything
Old 01-09-07, 12:08 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
That's cool if I'm looking for a place to eat in an unfamiliar area. But a more common scenario is that I'm talking on my bluetooth cell phone to a friend who lives an hour away, and we pick a place to meet for dinner that's midway between us. So, I'll be driving on a limited access highway (like the Garden State Parkway) where you can't just pull to the side of the road, knowing that I need to get to a specific restaurant (e.g. Ruth Chris in Parsippany), and unable to enter it into my nav system. Quite frustrating...
Man, I love steak houses... Hearing you talk about the hilton ruths chris in parsippany makes me hungry... I would eat there all the time till my parsippany project finished...
Old 01-09-07, 12:27 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Mine can do everything
Can it call an ambulance after your air bags go off?
Old 01-09-07, 12:41 PM
cvex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can it call an ambulance after your air bags go off?
It can. Once airbags are deploy, it automatically contact Lexus help service and a personel will dispatch an ambulance to your location via GPS.
Old 01-09-07, 12:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Well, you can always create a scenario where your requirements are not met. The nav system can’t do everything; but as designed, it can assure a measure of safety.
No, you don't understand other occupation's needs. Had you worked in sales, you would fully comprehend this particular need. Your perspective works fine for your paradigm. It does not work for mine, or anyone else I know working in sales.

When you take off in your aircraft, you know your destination, your alternates, and your emergency plans. You file them with the FAA, and you don't deviate unless an event like 9/11 happens. You clearly pattern your driving around this model. When we leave in our cars for a client location, we only know the initial destination, and that may change dramatically while en route on the phone. It is not unusual at all, in fact, it's quite common. There is a huge difference, and you choose not to recognise this and assume everyone else can do it your way. It does not work for everyone, and it can't work for everyone.
Old 01-09-07, 02:07 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Well, for starters I often fly VFR just for sightseeing where I have no particular destination in mind. Still, navigation and looking outside the aircraft are both important to safety. A mid-air collision is a sure killer.

But in all due respect, yours and Bichon’s scenarios regarding the nav system in your IS's seem, at least to me, to be made-up to fit your arguments in favor of your positions on nav-hacking. Now I can’t refute every last one, lest you come up with another and another, so let’s just leave it at your being free to hack your own system as you see fit.

And I wish you success, for to quote an old pilots’ phrase, “There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old-bold pilots.”
Old 01-09-07, 02:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I've also heard more than one commercial pilot say there is no safe flying under 10.0. Having been over various parts of the globe at 2.5 in a C-135 variant for hours on end, I tend to agree.

I also agree looking outside is critical to survival, but we both know you have to reserve some attention for stuff inside, and you have to be smart enough to know when is a good time to check instruments, and when is not. If you can't do an instrument check without disrupting basic control functions, you shouldn't be driving or flying. That's when being smart means letting someone else do the part requiring special skills.
Old 01-09-07, 04:44 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

This is slightly off topic, but I just thought I'd brag a little bit... Because, truth is, some of us are just better drivers than others... Personally, I'm one of the best drivers on the road... I can talk on the phone, watch dvds, mess around with my friends in the car telling jokes, eat food, all at the same time while driving and STILL be orders of magnitude safer than most other drivers on the road...

And no, my track record isn't 50 years of driving, but nor is it 5 years... It's somewhere in between... And during that time, ZERO accidents to date... That includes not-at-fault... No car has EVER hit me! You know why?? Cause I avoid accidents before they happen... How??? I am aware of my surroundings, both inside the car AND outside, regardless of any distractions in the car... That's the definition of a good driver... That's what I am... Kudos to me!
Old 01-09-07, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Years driving mean nothing. My sister-in-law has had a license for 5 years, and I wouldn't loan her a moped. Seat time is everything. If you can continue to say this after you've driven 500,000 miles, you'll have something. Personally, I think everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle for at least 2 years before being allowed to buy a car. Nothing makes you more aware of your surroundings because right, wrong, or indifferent, if you get in an accident on a bike you get hurt.
Old 01-09-07, 06:11 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I think you’re on the right track. Let’s have each dealer give a written common sense test if you want a car with nav. If you have common sense then they’ll sell you one with no nav restrictions. If, on the other hand, you’re like many dim-witted or impulsive drivers out there, then the nav will be as presently sold, or they’ll refer you to an Acura dealer.

And if you can demonstrate that you have the greatest driving skills in the world like Technique, they’ll sell you a car with every safety feature uninstalled. No seat belts, no buzzers, no air bags, pre-hacked nav, no TPMS, etc. Think of the money such wonderfully gifted drivers will save.

Quick Reply: My navi guides me to suicide!