IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My navi guides me to suicide!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 07:10 PM
cvex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My navi guides me to suicide!

So yesterday I took my 2 day old '07 IS350 on its first road trip that I had to go through the curvy mountain hills to my destination. The handling on this thing is the best. .
Ok, well at one point I had to pull out an exit to get some gas. After thats done, it rerouted me back out to the freeway which I was on. It was really dark out side, no moon in sight. I knew how to get back out on the freeway,but I just went ahead and rely on the navi since its showing me a different route which seems closer. Sounds good right?

I then proceeded for about 5 min into the road slowly because of poor visiblity, which then I notice the roads are getting grainy,pebbles of rock, and dirt . I cannot see far because the headlights are aim so low I can only see about 20ft or less. All of a sudden , BAAAM, I see 4 red signs and some barracades about 5 feet after that.I slammed on my brakes and got out and was like "WTF". Came out to see that it was a cliff drop off of atleast 100ft. Good thing I wasnt speeding. So today on my way home(daytime) I pass the same spot and notice that the exit is in the process of constructing(10%done).
In the end Im thinking that Lexus had updated this navi way in the future. Guess Ill have to keep an eye on the upcomming use of this navi. I miss my previous Acura TSX navi, no lockout while driving. I had to constantly stopping the car to enter different destination. But Im loving the car nonetheless.
Old 01-07-07, 07:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad to hear that you're o.k. That can be really dangerous!

Originally Posted by cvex
I had to constantly stopping the car to enter different destination. But Im loving the car nonetheless.
There's a "hack" to do it while driving...

Nav Destination Override:
1) Go to "Menu" then press "Volume."
2) Press the upper left corner, then the lower left corner. Repeat.
3) New screen should pop up. Press and Hold "Override" button for 3 seconds.

You can now enter Nav Destinations while driving. You have to do this everytime you turn on the car though...

Good luck and drive safe!!!
Old 01-07-07, 07:32 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm glad to hear that you're o.k. That can be really dangerous!

There's a "hack" to do it while driving...

Nav Destination Override:
1) Go to "Menu" then press "Volume."
2) Press the upper left corner, then the lower left corner. Repeat.
3) New screen should pop up. Press and Hold "Override" button for 3 seconds.

You can now enter Nav Destinations while driving. You have to do this everytime you turn on the car though...

Good luck and drive safe!!!
I don't think that will work on the '07s unless you re-write the Nav CD with '06. Another way is to take the console apart and cut wires, etc, etc, ....
Old 01-07-07, 07:33 PM
khoongy
Driver

whoa that sounds scary! yeah i have used the TSX navi before..very nice!!
Old 01-07-07, 07:35 PM
cvex
Driver

Philip: Thanks but I have tried that but like Pimp350 said , it wont work for the '07 unless I get an older disc version.
Old 01-07-07, 08:04 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

interesting, because my '07 disk is missing some locations that have been there for awhile
Old 01-07-07, 08:29 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Wow... This is crazy. Im glad you're alright.
Old 01-07-07, 08:32 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
interesting, because my '07 disk is missing some locations that have been there for awhile
Same here. There is an overpass that has been on 28 for 1.5 years. Not on the Nav, and a Neihborhood thats been here for 3 years... not on the map.

The insult to injury is that the updates are hundreds of dollars
Old 01-07-07, 08:46 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad you're ok...

I have a love and hate relationship with my navi because 50% of the time, it shows me some really long-winded route (even AFTER picking the shortest route), making me go in circles. The other 50% of the time, it really saves my butt because I'll be in an unfamiliar area and I can get to certain places (banks, gas stations, etc) w/o hassle.

Bottom line, Lexus REALLy need to step up and make drastic changes to the software. Plus, it would help if it was real time instead of telling me I have 5 mins left to get to my destination when in reality, over half an hour has already passed!
Old 01-07-07, 09:04 PM
andone
Lead Lap

I really glad that you came out ok.
Old 01-07-07, 10:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

The nav system is not a substitute for good judgment. I'm glad you were not going too fast and made the stop. It would be really sad to lose a member to having too much faith in the nav system.

In all likelihood, the exit is being reworked. There are far too many places where it isn't up to date to believe they have "future" roads listed. Anyone trying to use the nav to get on the 210 near Colton, CA knows this part of the map is useless despite the road being completed for some time now.
Old 01-08-07, 12:48 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

This seems like a lawsuit just waiting to happen.
Old 01-08-07, 01:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

I seriously doubt you'd make any headway on that. From here.

Originally Posted by lexus.com
The Navigation System is designed to assist in locating an address or point of interest. Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location. Road system changes may affect the accuracy of the information provided. Rely on your common sense to decide whether to follow a specified route. Detailed coverage not available in every city or roadway. Periodic updates available at an additional cost. Please see your Navigation System Owner's Manual for further details.
This same quote is repeated throughout all the navigation system documentation.

BTW, there is a CD that came with your car in your owner's manual. It shows you how to enter destinations by voice command. It's the only other way to do this when you don't have the navigation bypass feature available to you.
Old 01-08-07, 03:14 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I never said that someone would win in a lawsuit against Lexus... I was just pointing out that it's imminent if they don't update their maps better.
Old 01-08-07, 05:14 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BottomsUp
Mine too

Quick Reply: My navi guides me to suicide!