IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you like the new IS-F?
The IS-F looks great, I can't wait for 2008!
66.67%
The IS-F is a not for me (edited)
33.33%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: IS-F: Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07 | 03:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
You know thats BS! I Was soo excited for this car..hoping that maybe, JUST maybe toyota would understand that a beast with a 400+ hp V8 needs a manual to truely feel like a "sports sedan". The only reason he said lexus isnt trying to compete with other sports sedans is because Lexus is stupid and cant admit that they are behind in something, and because lexus is about " the "pursuit of perfection", not performance. ( Why the IS-F then?)
I think you're missing the point.

There are many people out there that WANT an auto tranny, and in fact, most drivers with the money will want the prestige and simplicity of an auto tranny over a manual tranny.

It is BS, but guess what, the IS will sell like hotcakes!

We all want a manual for sports performance, but unless if it's a Ferrari or Lambo or such, most "sports cars" out there are first and foremost for prestige and power, not performance and handling. Just look at M.B's AMG Division: lots of HP, no manual tranny!

Are they behind on performance? Yes. Is Lexus really trying to be #1 on performance? I don't think so. Would a manual tranny then be necessary? Definately not. It would be nice, but business for business, it isn't necessary...
Old 01-08-07 | 03:21 PM
euro.r
Driver

Originally Posted by yaro1
Read more: (It is a DSG-like tranny with 8 gears!)
http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2007010840613
More interested now. Hadn't read that article before I responded. Thanks.
Old 01-08-07 | 03:31 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

There are many people out there that WANT an auto tranny, and in fact, most drivers with the money will want the prestige and simplicity of an auto tranny over a manual tranny.
What point is he missing? They aren't mutually exclusive!

Offer the automatic transmission for those that want it for prestige, convenience, or whatever, and offer a manual transmission for those that believe (and that includes many auto reviewers and magazines) that a true sports sedan should be available with stick. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if the manual cost a bit more than the auto.
Old 01-08-07 | 03:36 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Bichon
Offer the automatic transmission for those that want it for prestige, convenience, or whatever, and offer a manual transmission for those that believe (and that includes many auto reviewers and magazines) that a true sports sedan should be available with stick. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if the manual cost a bit more than the auto.
I guess as soon as the AMG Division starts providing manual trannies, then Lexus will sure be soon to follow...
Old 01-08-07 | 03:39 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

I am confused. Those who want prestige are going to buy the GS or LS. Not a small car. I think the market is clearly for the riced cars who have graduated past the Preludes, Integras, and Civics. I don't see middle America opting for this car, but rather young kids who's parents want them to drive a Lexus. With the backseat so small, the car should have been a coupe from the start.
Old 01-08-07 | 03:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The reality is, not many IS-F buyers will want a manual, company only makes what sells
Old 01-08-07 | 04:04 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

It is BS, but guess what, the IS will sell like hotcakes!

We all want a manual for sports performance, but unless if it's a Ferrari or Lambo or such, most "sports cars" out there are first and foremost for prestige and power, not performance and handling. Just look at M.B's AMG Division: lots of HP, no manual tranny!

Are they behind on performance? Yes. Is Lexus really trying to be #1 on performance? I don't think so. Would a manual tranny then be necessary? Definately not. It would be nice, but business for business, it isn't necessary...
Your not necessary
Old 01-08-07 | 04:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
Your not necessary
Hey -- what can I do?

I'd love a manual. Am I gonna get it, even after the moaning and groaning on this forum? No.
Old 01-08-07 | 04:12 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
I am confused. Those who want prestige are going to buy the GS or LS. Not a small car.
I think he's talking about prestige for a different kind of customer. Like the guy in the TV show "Two and a Half Men" who drives an AMG Benz and is getting laid all the time. The hip single male who isn't all that interested in driving, but wants a cool fast sporty prestigious car as a fashion accessory, not a frumpy old school luxury car that his dad would drive.

A valid market, perhaps, but not quite what I'm looking for.

I think the market is clearly for the riced cars who have graduated past the Preludes, Integras, and Civics. I don't see middle America opting for this car, but rather young kids who's parents want them to drive a Lexus. With the backseat so small, the car should have been a coupe from the start.
The way the guy on stage was talking about the renegade engineers building their kind of car, I was hoping that the IS-F would be targeted at a customer who would love to be driving a quick, great handling sports car like a 'vette, but needs something more practical. Or a BMW M, but wants something more reliable. If Lexus had made it available with a stick and worked some magic on the steering feel and driving dynamics, I'd be first in line at the dealer when the car is released.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-08-07 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-08-07 | 04:16 PM
LexFather

AS for this manual stuff. Hey I love a manual. MY ES 300 IS A MANUAL
Guess what, people don't buy em.
Guess what, 70% of Ms sold, are SMG
Guess what, 75% of Vettes, are automatics
Guess what, the Lamborghini Gallardo has a regualar 6 speed auto.
Guess what, the 997 911 Turbo is FASTER as an automatic

Ferrari has E-gear now, and guess what, people are saying to hell with the shift gate. The Aston Martin reviews, all PREFER the auto to the manual.

It is RACING tech. Those paddle shifters are from F-1. That is why Ferrari has em and so is everyone else doing it.

So yes, a manual would have been great but the competiton has moved on to autos and dsg etc etc.
Old 01-08-07 | 04:19 PM
dat-is350
Lead Lap

Is it me, or does it look like a mazda?
Old 01-08-07 | 04:21 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

complete and utter disaster. I really hoped they would get this one right but this car will go down in the annals of automotive history as yet another Japanese offering that totally missed the target by ignoring the whims of the customers they're trying to lure away from European manufacturers. As long as they keep doing this, they will continue to be an afterthought when it comes to the M3s and S4/RS4s of the world.

Words can't describe how disappointed I am in the ridiculous treatment given to the exterior...and the continued use of the cheap *** clock that belongs in a Corolla...and no manual...and...

Old 01-08-07 | 04:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by conekiller
complete and utter disaster. I really hoped they would get this one right but this car will go down in the annals of automotive history as yet another Japanese offering that totally missed the target by ignoring the whims of the customers they're trying to lure away from European manufacturers. As long as they keep doing this, they will continue to be an afterthought when it comes to the M3s and S4/RS4s of the world.

Words can't describe how disappointed I am in the ridiculous treatment given to the exterior...and the continued use of the cheap *** clock that belongs in a Corolla...and no manual...and...

tell us how u really feel
Old 01-08-07 | 04:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I think the IS-F is a step in the right direction. I personally don't think it is on par with the M3, but BMW has been doing it for decades and Lexus is only starting. Today, I would still gladly buy an M3 over the IS-F given the price is about the same. In the future though I think Lexus can catch up and match the M cars. Now, If Lexus is chasing the AMG cars I can understand the direction. We all know M cars and AMG cars are very different. I perfer the BMW M way myself, that is why the IS-F too me is not there yet. I'm just glad Lexus is attempting to compete though. It gives me a reason to look forward to what Lexus will come out with in the future that caters to the few of us sports car fans.
Old 01-08-07 | 04:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I think the IS-F is a step in the right direction. I personally don't think it is on par with the M3, but BMW has been doing it for decades and Lexus is only starting. Today, I would still gladly buy an M3 over the IS-F given the price is about the same. In the future though I think Lexus can catch up and match the M cars. Now, If Lexus is chasing the AMG cars I can understand the direction. We all know M cars and AMG cars are very different. I perfer the BMW M way myself, that is why the IS-F too me is not there yet. I'm just glad Lexus is attempting to compete though. It gives me a reason to look forward to what Lexus will come out with in the future that caters to the few of us sports car fans.

Quick Reply: POLL: IS-F: Yay or Nay