IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Do you like the new IS-F?
The IS-F looks great, I can't wait for 2008!
66.67%
The IS-F is a not for me (edited)
33.33%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: IS-F: Yay or Nay

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07 | 05:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PharmISee
will this be the final production model? Theres still a long time till its release, so are there opportunities for changes in styling? The current IS still looks better, but its good to see lexus venturing to new areas.
That is the final model. We just await final specs and pricing.

Ryan(Flipside) called and told me this at the show bumping elbows with the Lexus executives.

This is the real thing
Old 01-08-07 | 05:47 PM
bygtimaish
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
AS for this manual stuff. Hey I love a manual. MY ES 300 IS A MANUAL
Guess what, people don't buy em.
Guess what, 70% of Ms sold, are SMG
Guess what, 75% of Vettes, are automatics
Guess what, the Lamborghini Gallardo has a regualar 6 speed auto.
Guess what, the 997 911 Turbo is FASTER as an automatic

Ferrari has E-gear now, and guess what, people are saying to hell with the shift gate. The Aston Martin reviews, all PREFER the auto to the manual.

It is RACING tech. Those paddle shifters are from F-1. That is why Ferrari has em and so is everyone else doing it.

So yes, a manual would have been great but the competiton has moved on to autos and dsg etc etc.
As for the manual stuff...i love a manual too.
Guess what, people do buy them.
Guess what, 70% of IS-F should be made in an SMG then.
Guess what, People who buy Vettes are a totally different group.
Guess what, the Gallardo comes in REAL SMG,not AUTO.
Guess what, the 997 911 Turbo maybe faster in auto, but thats irrelavent.

Ferrari has E-gear now, which is once again true paddle shifters, not cheap IS paddle shifters. The Aston Martin reviews,they all prefer SMG (Real Paddle shifters).

I'd love a manual, and if not, atleast a real SMG. One that doesn't have an auto shifter in the console and one that has no lag. ( Just as the Gallardo, the Ferrari's, the Aston Martins, and all other exotics.)

So yes, a manual would be great, but if not, the IS-F should atleast come out with a real SMG.

Have a nice day.
Old 01-08-07 | 05:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bygtimaish
As for the manual stuff...i love a manual too.
Guess what, people do buy them.
Guess what, 70% of IS-F should be made in an SMG then.
Guess what, People who buy Vettes are a totally different group.
Guess what, the Gallardo comes in REAL SMG,not AUTO.
Guess what, the 997 911 Turbo maybe faster in auto, but thats irrelavent.

Ferrari has E-gear now, which is once again true paddle shifters, not cheap IS paddle shifters. The Aston Martin reviews,they all prefer SMG (Real Paddle shifters).

I'd love a manual, and if not, atleast a real SMG. One that doesn't have an auto shifter in the console and one that has no lag. ( Just as the Gallardo, the Ferrari's, the Aston Martins, and all other exotics.)

So yes, a manual would be great, but if not, the IS-F should atleast come out with a real SMG.

Have a nice day.
I am not denying the fact, a manual would have been fantastic. But when we found out the IS 350 didn't have one, no way the IS-F was gonna have one.

This is Lexus. We can only hope (and honestly, I've never drove a Lexus manual I truly liked). Honda, OMG, they can make some FANTASTIC shifters.
Old 01-08-07 | 05:52 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

I have heard less than stellar things about the M5s SMG, so I'll take the IS-F tranny
Old 01-08-07 | 06:22 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CHIS350
I have heard less than stellar things about the M5s SMG, so I'll take the IS-F tranny
When cars have a lot of torque and horsepower, the need for manual or SMG diminishes. The 0-60 times are neglible. MB realized this and decided to stay auto all the way.

BMW offers manuals because that grabs approx. 100-200k buyers each year who are die hard manual fans especially in europe. Without the manual I think many would look at other brands.
Old 01-08-07 | 06:29 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Granted the car will be fast. But jeez...they should've left the "shogun street demon" body kit at home. Anyways...very disappointed.
Old 01-08-07 | 06:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Welcome to Clublexus LH1
man how come I don't get welcome like that, I am new too!

Wrong. Lexus can battle both. They have their cars to battle benz, they have their cars to battle BMW.
Infiniti is not even on anyone's radar. The GT-R will be a Nissan. They are struggling agian.
I disagreed. Lexus is always Benz style all the way, soft, quiet, auto, full luxury and comfort. BMW is on the loud side, stick shift, firm ride, very sporty.

I say Infiniti is more like BMW because Infiniti have loud exhaust and offer manual tranny (well mainly the G35).
Old 01-08-07 | 06:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

I happen to think Lexus targets both Benz and BMW, but not equally. Traditionally, Lexus focused on Benz, but with the 2 GS / 1 IS and now the 3 GS / 2 IS, the focus is more than ever on BMW. Infiniti has said "they will focus on BMW and never take look away" or something like that. However they are a secondary player in the market, which perhaps gives them impetus and or freedom to try to outdo BMW even more without fears of alienating any loyal base. In the end however Lexus seems to be charting its own identity, which is in some ways more conservative than the Germans (safety controls, styling cues, performance capabilities in some areas), and at other times more innovative (touchscreens, technology features).
Old 01-08-07 | 06:54 PM
IStreefidy
Pole Position

well im happy with it, but i would probably by the m3 instead. just because I already have the 350 and the front bumper and brake exhaust things is a little to much for me.
Old 01-08-07 | 07:03 PM
gassman
Pole Position

NAYish. I have to see it up close first, but the pictures make it look like an over done 350. If you spring for 19'' wheels you better put some meat on them. The flares/wheel wells look uninhabited. Yes the engine and tranny are great, but the body work hasn't warmed me up yet.
Old 01-08-07 | 07:13 PM
SPEED&ECO.
Lead Lap

i would have to see it in person.. but the seats are AWSOME! i wounder if they would fit in the current IS
Old 01-08-07 | 07:20 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

I am not denying the fact, a manual would have been fantastic. But when we found out the IS 350 didn't have one, no way the IS-F was gonna have one.

This is Lexus. We can only hope (and honestly, I've never drove a Lexus manual I truly liked). Honda, OMG, they can make some FANTASTIC shifters.
I think (atleast for myself) im used to the manual in the traditional sense, i really enjoy the paddle shifters, it does make it easier in a wierd way. I think people who do buy the M3's gallardos, etc recognize the origin being from F1 and Indy car, i guess its a more refined version of a traditional set up.
Old 01-08-07 | 07:24 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gassman
NAYish. I have to see it up close first, but the pictures make it look like an over done 350. If you spring for 19'' wheels you better put some meat on them. The flares/wheel wells look uninhabited. Yes the engine and tranny are great, but the body work hasn't warmed me up yet.
Looking at the picks, I do not see how the tires could be any larger. Width wise the car won't allow it. Anything larger would stick out beyond the wheel well.
Old 01-08-07 | 07:35 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I love it.

The only thing I don't like is the exhaust. It looks way too big. Other car manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes do the dual-DTM exhaust mucher simpler and nicer, I think. Other than that, the car is amazing. And it has SPORT SEATS.

I wasn't even considering trading in my IS for this. But now that I see it has 400+hp, sport seats, tight suspension, etc...

...I think maybe I reconsider.
Old 01-08-07 | 08:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I like manual but when a transmission exists that shifts far faster, with less errors and much more consistent than a human, sorry im going with that

Quick Reply: POLL: IS-F: Yay or Nay